Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to openmindOW's question about whether it was a 40 cu. in. tank:

I'm a gal that pretty much has gills & dive w/ an AL50. I've yet to see a guy dive with anything smaller than an AL80.

I have: An aluminum stage or pony tank could be smaller than an 80 and might easily be a 40 (staying on the aluminum side of things just for example).

There was a thread a couple of months ago in which people spoke blithely about getting visual inspection stickers off of the internet and slapping them on their tanks annually to save the cost and bother of the annual inspection. I was surprised by the number of people who saw nothing wrong with that. I wonder if they are having second thoughts now.

I just did a visual inspection of two of my tanks a couple of days ago. With this thread in mind, my inspection was probably the most careful I have ever done.

I worked at a dive shop that used to do that for tanks that failed hydro ... until the day someone showed up with a tank that had the hole tapped and then filled with a large bolt, which had been covered over with some sort of epoxy. Unbelievably, this fellow expected me to fill his tank ... :shocked2:

After that, the dive shop adopted the practice of scoring the threads on failed tanks, so that you could no longer put a tank valve on it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Someone on SB had a signature line: It is impossible to make anything foolproof, because fools are so dam creative. (or wording somewhat close anyway)

There was a thread a couple of months ago in which people spoke blithely about getting visual inspection stickers off of the internet and slapping them on their tanks annually to save the cost and bother of the annual inspection. I was surprised by the number of people who saw nothing wrong with that. I wonder if they are having second thoughts now.

I just did a visual inspection of two of my tanks a couple of days ago. With this thread in mind, my inspection was probably the most careful I have ever done.

see above! :shakehead:

That's not what most of us were saying at all. What we were saying is that performing visual inspections ain't rocket surgery, and that a reasonably careful person with appropriate equipment and training can do their own. I've been trained how to do it ... so why should I be paying a dive shop to do it for me?

There used to be a time in America when people were able to work on their own equipment without being labelled irresponsible. Nowadays there seems to be an expectation that you support the dive industry by paying "professionals" to do it for you. That's not always necessary ... particularly when some of those "professionals" have less training and experience at doing it than I do.

OK ... that's probably an overreaction to conclusions based on inadequate information ... but if it makes you feel better. But if you're inspecting your own cylinders, what's your objection to other folks doing the same thing?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But if you're inspecting your own cylinders, what's your objection to other folks doing the same thing?
I purchased my stickers from PSI using my log in information, including my PSI inspector number. I write my inspector number in the appropriate place on that sticker when I complete my inspection. I have no objection to others doing that as well.

I purchased my stickers from PSI using my log in information, including my PSI inspector number. I write my inspector number in the appropriate place on that sticker when I complete my inspection. I have no objection to others doing that as well.

Ditto.

There used to be a time in America when people were able to work on their own equipment without being labeled irresponsible.

During that time, the families did not sue the manufacture when a DIY person was injured by the self maintained equipment either.

Demanding a dive shop owner to accept responsibility for your work goes a bit further in todays society. Generally the person who runs the risk to life and limb is a paid employee, if you missed something and the small chance occurs creating a bad situation, you will get sued, the dive shop owner will get sued, and the manufacture of the cylinder will be sued. Risk assessment varies from person to person. There is nothing wrong in asking for trust, but demanding it, is all together a different animal.

Like you I have loads of inspections under my belt, however, If I ask somebody else to fill my cylinders, I have no leg to stand on if they required an inspection before they do. Time has proven, in this world you can give trust openly if you accept the consequences, you can earn trust, you can lose trust, but only a fool demands trust.

I worked at a dive shop that used to do that for tanks that failed hydro ... until the day someone showed up with a tank that had the hole tapped and then filled with a large bolt, which had been covered over with some sort of epoxy. Unbelievably, this fellow expected me to fill his tank ... :shocked2:
Ya can't fix stupid.

Uh... doesn't the dive shop owner demand you accept responsibility for his work too? In that case isn't it the customer who runs the risk diving with said /inspected/serviced/repaired equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom