Exploding SPG gauge faces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll take a guess at a few issues.

I’m pretty sure it was mentioned, but the plastic of the time wasn’t up to the job. So if the housing used plastic there was probably a high rate of failure.

Second thing I noticed is that gauge cost $25, which was a lot at the time and it wasn’t considered a necessary piece of equipment since everyone was accustomed to using j valves at the time. So I think cost was a factor as well.
banjoad.jpg
The SPG was introduced to the American diver in 1954 via a number of advertisements in Skin Diver Magazine (SDM.)

It was a new device to the American dive community, but the SPG had originally been developed, introduced and used extensively by the great French SCUBA diver, Instructor, author Yves le Prieur in 1934 (for all of your who declare they began diving before the SPG)

In 1954 the Mar Mac SPG slowly appeared on the shelves of the pioneer SoCal dive shops and a few scattered centers of diving primarily in the metropolitan areas of NY city and Chicago. It's acceptance as a diving accessory by the divers was guarded, but as all new devices of diving it was slowly accepted by a select few.

Then reports of a number of problems began surfacing...

The Mar Mac had three distinct problems

Yes, it was the reason divers every where are recommended (taught?) still to this day are turn the SPG face away when turning on the air supply
SDM

I pay others to open my tank valves, one cannot be too careful.
It's probably way more dangerous to be standing downwind of me when I pass my personal gas. Just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom