Exploding SPG gauge faces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've heard anecdotal stories of exploding gauges and the need for pointing them way from us while pressuring the octopus.

I've seen a gauge face pop once, it fluttered away without any apparent risk or even a significant disturbance. Was from the '70's. Also seen a button gauge face fail, once again, fairly gentle explosion and would seem horribly unlikely to be hurt by. (intentional irony in gentle explosion, the plastic face flew a couple feet)

Why are we traumatizing new divers with this titbit of task loading? Anyone seen one or read of one going off in a way that might cause injury in recent years? (at least more injury than any other hose failure.)

Regards,
Cameron

because if you don't tell them that, and it happens, you're going to get sued.

Last edited:
I always point my AI PDC away from me when I power up my tank. :D :D :D

it is funny to watch my wife religiously do that...... shhhhh.

I always point my AI PDC away from me when I power up my tank. :D :D :D

*wags finger and frowns judgingly* You missed the depth gauge backup thread. It directly applies. :)

I am waiting for someone to say using AI only is an equipment solution to a skills problem.

Maybe they can engineer AI computer screens to explode once every 10,000 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom