Exploding SPG gauge faces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*wags finger and frowns judgingly* You missed the depth gauge backup thread. It directly applies. :)
Only a goose would wear a belt AND suspenders... oh wait! :D I've avoided that thread because I giggle whenever I see anyone have both.

It's good practice, but it's how your frame the message.

Equally I tell them to just crack the cylinder open at first , because I've seen hoses go - no injury just makes someone jump :)

The funniest (Now) was my ex G/F) both shiny new divers with less that 10 dives to our names. I was in the water, she was about to make a giant stride when her burst disc blew.

Thankfully it was a rental wetsuit :rofl3:

Two instances I've seen, a Marshall Islander/Bikini Atoll Dive Guide and a CCR Diver at Truk -both absentmindedly cranking open -instant full impulse on- their tank valves.

The tanks were Oxygen filled, and the effect for the CCR Diver was much more catastrophic than an exploding SPG face gauge and a smoking 1st Stage: An out-of-control 1st Stage "O2 welder"; burnt-up wing & scorched scrubber canister, and extensive 2nd degree burns up his left arm with a small third degree patch by the wrist.

Equally I tell them to just crack the cylinder open at first
I have them slightly depress the purge on the second stage as well. That reduces the shock on the whole system. When they hear the hiss they gently release the purge and finish opening the tank with a 1/4 turn back (except on doubles or a rebreather).

Two instances I've seen, a Marshall Islander/Bikini Atoll Dive Guide and a CCR Diver at Truk -both absentmindedly cranking open -instant full impulse on- their tank valves.

The tanks were Oxygen filled, and the effect for the CCR Diver was much more catastrophic than an exploding SPG face gauge and a smoking 1st Stage: An out-of-control 1st Stage "O2 welder"; burnt-up wing & scorched scrubber canister, and extensive 2nd degree burns up his left arm with a small third degree patch by the wrist.

Ouch! That will stick with me next time I open a valve on O2. Thank you. Cameron

I look into the lens so the blowout plug is away from my face. All SPGs "should" have a blowout plug, which "could" become a small projectile.

I have seen industrial gauge faces blow from work hardened Bourdon tubes due to vibration. More accurately, I heard it, turned around, saw what was left, and shut a stop valve. The bourdon tube cracked close to the solder joint.

Last edited:
I look into the lens so the blowout plug is away from my face. All SPGs "should" have a blowout plug, which "could" become a small projectile.

I have seen industrial gage faces blow from work hardened Bourdon tubes due to vibration. More accurately, I heard it, turned around, saw what was left, and shut a stop valve. The bourdon tube cracked close to the solder joint.

Not ALL. My 2" Highland Thin Line SPG doesn't have such blowout plug.

IMG_6379.JPG
IMG_6380.JPG
IMG_6378.JPG

I have them slightly depress the purge on the second stage as well. That reduces the shock on the whole system. When they hear the hiss they gently release the purge and finish opening the tank with a 1/4 turn back (except on doubles or a rebreather).
A friend with a large regulator service business strongly recommends this. Occasionally opening the tank valve too quickly can cause damage to something inside a piston regulator first stage

I use old Scubapro 5000psi SPG's chrome body been turning those on the side for 30+ years never had one blow. A few years ago one flooded and died, but I still turn mine on the side when turning the valve on. I also still back the valve off the stop, then use the valve not an airgun to blow 1st stage cap dry, all while wearing my MOF!

Good thing I dive mostly solo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom