Exposure Protection for Longer Deco Dives - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Quick question - Long deco dives in Florida this time of year, 3 mm or 5 mm? I am usually comfortable with a 3mm, but since this will be on a RB (doing a Helitrox/deco class on my JJ), I know the bottom times are going to be much longer than I would normally do on OC tech dives. Most of my OC tech dives off of Pompano were always around 20-30 of bottom time +deco up where it is a bit warmer. I know the RB is going to be considerably longer. Note, I really don't want to take a drysuit as I do that enough up here in the north.

you can always flush a 5mm to cool off, you can't make a 3mm warmer. I would probably go 3mm plus hooded vest since your hood is going to be the most important part on the longer run times.
Something like the venture heated vest would be ideal though since you can turn it on during deco.

Which site are you going to (depth)? What's your expected bottom time? Do you normally get cold?

I just checked my dive logs it was 76F at 140ft last month. Last week it was 78F near Pompano. Agree with @tbone1004 hood makes a huge difference.

We are going to be on the Spiegel Grove so 130 feet. Dives will be 30+ minutes depending on set-point (probably in the 1.0 - 1.25 PPO range). I dive Lake Erie a lot in a drysuit so I don't think I will get that cold but I am going to be doing the class across the week, for 6 deco dives. I know the body tends to get cold over that length of time with repetitive dives. I think the hooded vest is a solid option. Thanks!

We are going to be on the Spiegel Grove so 130 feet. Dives will be 30+ minutes depending on set-point (probably in the 1.0 - 1.25 PPO range). I dive Lake Erie a lot in a drysuit so I don't think I will get that cold but I am going to be doing the class across the week, for 6 deco dives. I know the body tends to get cold over that length of time with repetitive dives. I think the hooded vest is a solid option. Thanks!

Oh!! You'll be just fine in 3mm, especially with a 5mm+ hood.

I was expecting you to say much longer. My buddy dives a rEvo and last night we were doing calculations on how much bottom time I can have with my HP100 doubles and an AL80 (or two!). So when you mentioned your JJ, I thought you were going down to setup shop and do some camping :wink:

I'd start by asking your instructor what sort of run-times you can anticipate in the class and then go from there. Realistically though, you're probably looking at 60-90 minute run-times max in that class.

This time of year I'd honestly be more worried about wind. Last week they had such strong winds (and waves) that many of the SoFla guys I know came up to my neck of the woods.

Even if I’m doing a single tank ow no deco dive in a place like Jupiter I wear a dry suit. In Bonaire I wore a dry suit because we were doing 2+ hour ccr dives. Wetsuits suck and are a pain to get on IMO. My dry suit can be tailored to conditions by picking the right undergarments

Even if I’m doing a single tank ow no deco dive in a place like Jupiter I wear a dry suit. In Bonaire I wore a dry suit because we were doing 2+ hour ccr dives. Wetsuits suck and are a pain to get on IMO. My dry suit can be tailored to conditions by picking the right undergarments

This sums it up well. Folks think that dry suits are only for cold water. But once you dive dry in warm waters, you won't go back. With a properly fitted suit and good underwear, you can control your comfort level quite well. In FL, I don't wear a hood and have a combination of thicker underpants with thinner top. Exceptionally comfy.

Also, you get a second buoyancy compensation device and a warm shell just in case if things hit the fan. I will never dive wet again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom