Exposure Suits for training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about doing the cave coarses this winter in Florida. I know that a dry suit is optimal, but will a 5/7 hood and gloves work to get through the training? I don't have a dry suit yet, and the costs of training, lodging and other equipment is mounting rather fast.

Thanks,

Mr. B

I did my cavern in a 7mm simidry and was more than warm. How bout toasty. Its the getting out of the water that's the problem.

Thinking about doing the cave coarses this winter in Florida. I know that a dry suit is optimal, but will a 5/7 hood and gloves work to get through the training? I don't have a dry suit yet, and the costs of training, lodging and other equipment is mounting rather fast.

Thanks,

Mr. B

I think the length of the dives won't be long enough that cold will be an issue,but out of the water when changing out of the wet suit will be a little cold. Dive what you are used to since you will learning so many new things. I've seen cave students add something like a dry suit that they weren't very familiar with,and spend most of the time trying to get comfortable with the suit that the class becomes secondary.

Its the second dive that gets ya. Bring a water cooler full of hot water to dump into your wetsuit on the second dive.

I thinking the point of dive suits is that you don't need to get too cold. The point is prevent the cold and a good drysuit should be the topic.

There are many companies both dry and wet making good suits. I like dry, but saw a great wetsuits from a company titled Waterproof the other day and they impress me, so I will look at them, but I like the drysuit best.

Personal prefference.

I preffer a 3mm, although I do wear a 2.5mm hoodvest with it in the winter.

First, don't listen to SuPrBuGmAn! He's a little off. It's the cold water that's gotten to his brain...makes him think slow. :D

The 7/5 should be fine in the water. That's what I wear during the summer months for my shorter dives. No gloves, though. First, you won't need them in the springs. Second, you can't use them during Florida cave dives. You need to be able to feel the lines with your fingertips. As has been said, it's the surface interval that will be an issue. The heated water is a good idea. You can even get one of the heated camping showers and just put spring water in it. Bring a wool hat and strip down as soon as you get out of the water and hose yourself down with the warm water and bundle up.

First, don't listen to SuPrBuGmAn! He's a little off. It's the cold water that's gotten to his brain...makes him think slow. :D

LOL, so you acknowledge the fact I have a brain! Success! :rofl3:

Bring a wool hat and hose yourself down with the warm water and bundle up.

You are still talking about Florida right? or did you find a connection between Peacock and Cannonball cave in Missouri? :eyebrow:

A 7 mil will be just fine.

Cheers :D

Last January the air temps were in the high 50s, low 60s with rain almost every day I was here. My sister was also visiting and diving wet, so I dove wet during her stay here. In the water wasn't bad. Getting out of the water and stripping down the wet suit was! Now, coming from AZ, I may be a bit acclimated to the 120 degree temps. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom