Express Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a 14 yr old original Ranger that still works. Indestructible but very heavy.
Needed a BC for travel and bought a Zeus that I still own but hate. Don't know how many times I got seasick in moderate seas trying to get the zipper to engage or one panel would get between the tank and my back when I was trying to get the BC on.
After reading this thread, just ordered a leftover basic Express tech. Will put D rings in the shoulder straps and maybe one in one side of the the belt. I have one of the zipper bags-pockets that goes on your belt on the Zeus and put it on the Express tech.
Should I be happy am I missing something?

(Wonder if any Zeus parts can be used on the Express tech)The Zeus would have been an amazing BC eliminating the two zippered pads and putting two straps with buckles across or a velcro strap wiht a belt and buckle like the Ranger or Stilletto

Last edited:
Seems to me the Express Tech is only useful for tropical diving, but just about anything that's light weight will work there. The wing lift of 24 lbs is just not enough for cold water diving, and the plastic plate offers no lead reduction as a SS plate would.

alright... so how long of a webbing do it need? i understand its a continuous 2in webbing? thickness matters?

I got one on ebay and re-threaded it, I started with 15 feet which was a bit over kill.

Seems to me the Express Tech is only useful for tropical diving, but just about anything that's light weight will work there. The wing lift of 24 lbs is just not enough for cold water diving, and the plastic plate offers no lead reduction as a SS plate would.
you can get it with any zeagle bladder you want I have one with a 35# and getting one with a 44#

Well......................after everything I read...................just got my basic Express Tech today. Amazing how simple and light it is. Will put a D ring on each strap and one in the waist belt to hang some of my goodies (safety sausage, small back up light etc)
Trusted the comments on the forum about comfort, but it seems it seems like the shoulder straps may not be too comfie ......... maybe once in the water and with the wet suit for padding it will be great.
I can see how it would make a great travel partner!

I picked mine up this weekend after the zip touch weight pockets came in. I still need to pick up some d-rings and a few other essentials, but I think that this is going to be a very versatile rig. I can't wait to get it in the water.

Mike

Well......................after everything I read...................just got my basic Express Tech today. Amazing how simple and light it is. Will put a D ring on each strap and one in the waist belt to hang some of my goodies (safety sausage, small back up light etc)
Trusted the comments on the forum about comfort, but it seems it seems like the shoulder straps may not be too comfie ......... maybe once in the water and with the wet suit for padding it will be great.
I can see how it would make a great travel partner!

Please post some pics of your setup. I'm planning on getting one soon and would like to get some ideas

I hate to continue to be a Negative Nancy on this but use that video with the understanding that we made this video very early in the production cycle of the Express Tech. Now the bladder is a little different (no wing clips) and we stopped using the bladder attachment straps. You can get these items if you want but they are extra and you would not find them on a stock Express Tech produced in 2012. Other than that, go wild with it. :D

Exactly, and some of the changes are not for the better. I disassembled mine today to see if I could use a metal plate and it is a pain in the butt to disassemble. To remove the wing from the plate, I needed to unthread and remove both cam straps, remove the two plastic book screws (no problem) and unthread the webbing at the top of the plate. This is far too time consuming. My recommendation is to replace the horseshoe wing with a 25 lb single-wall doughnut wing and use screws to attach the wing to the plate.

This product is designed for travel so it should be travel friendly.

Last edited:
It's been pretty much like this from the beginning. Once a wing is on it, I just dedicate that wing to it.

It's been pretty much like this from the beginning. Once a wing is on it, I just dedicate that wing to it.

The video gives the impression that to remove the wing from the plate all you need to do is unclip the two retainer straps and remove two screws. That is not the case now. My primary reason for disassembly was to see if I could use a metal plate with the wing, my secondary reason was to see how small it could be packed down for travel. People may want to take it apart for packing. The disassembly is overly complicated and should be simplified on any new version of the product.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom