Extreme Tank Cleaning In San Antonio, Tx?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Duggan Diving

Reactions: Jax
Well, fudge, we couldn't promise a day.

I just dropped them local and will do without.

Do NOT use the hydro facility that both duggan and dive world use. That guy is an idiot, illegally stamped words on my tank, and I wouldn't trust him for a minute. If he tumbles your tanks, he will say that they must be hydrotested again and will condemn them if you don't do it, even if the surface rust is minimal and they're only tumbled for a short time.

The place on rhapsody does have a tumbler, I've had my tanks tumbled there. I use them for my Al tanks, but they won't give the plus rating on steel tanks, so last time I went to Austin and found a place. Thank god this only happens every five years.

WOW!

I have a set of my own personal HP100's waiting for me in cave country. Primo.

The kid had them in a storage locker in S. Fla. They are now 100% in Crawfordville. Yours to use as dubs, breakdown for sidemount, singles. The shop will rig you for whatever...

Call me, FB me, or reply here.

Reactions: Jax
. If he tumbles your tanks, he will say that they must be hydrotested again and will condemn them if you don't do it, even if the surface rust is minimal and they're only tumbled for a short time.

I understand your frustration, halocline, but what he says is true. The type of tumbling the hydro facility does removes metal, and the slightest bit therefore requires a re-hydro.

I mucked up, and must pay the price. My tanks were hydro'd in February, and due to my mistake, will be hydro'd again in April.

WOW!

I have a set of my own personal HP100's waiting for me in cave country. Primo.

The kid had them in a storage locker in S. Fla. They are now 100% in Crawfordville. Yours to use as dubs, breakdown for sidemount, singles. The shop will rig you for whatever...

Call me, FB me, or reply here.
What a lovely offer! Thank you so much!

I am taking my LP85s and they should do me.

I understand your frustration, halocline, but what he says is true. The type of tumbling the hydro facility does removes metal, and the slightest bit therefore requires a re-hydro.

I mucked up, and must pay the price. My tanks were hydro'd in February, and due to my mistake, will be hydro'd again in April.

Sorry, but this is absolutely not true. The amount of metal removed by tumbling is tiny. If the safety margin for tanks was that small there would be tanks blowing up routinely. I don't know what the exact wording of the DOT document is but it definitely does not say that hydro testing is required after tumbling. Just stamping the tank removes metal.

This is yet another example of how pervasive incorrect information is regarding the testing and filling of scuba tanks. Granted, there is good reason to be cautious as filling a truly damaged tank is the one very dangerous activities in scuba.

That shop couldn't find the REE for my LP72s (even though I gave him the PST doc) and consequently stamped the words "no plus" in my tanks.This is a violation of DOT regs. A friend brought him a faber LP with the REE stamped on the tank and it came back with no plus rating. When questioned, the guy said "we didn't have the number for that tank."

Sorry, but this is absolutely not true. The amount of metal removed by tumbling is tiny. If the safety margin for tanks was that small there would be tanks blowing up routinely. I don't know what the exact wording of the DOT document is but it definitely does not say that hydro testing is required after tumbling. Just stamping the tank removes metal.

This is yet another example of how pervasive incorrect information is regarding the testing and filling of scuba tanks. Granted, there is good reason to be cautious as filling a truly damaged tank is the one very dangerous activities in scuba.

That shop couldn't find the REE for my LP72s (even though I gave him the PST doc) and consequently stamped the words "no plus" in my tanks.This is a violation of DOT regs. A friend brought him a faber LP with the REE stamped on the tank and it came back with no plus rating. When questioned, the guy said "we didn't have the number for that tank."

I called hydro shops in Phoenix and got the same answer. Does anyone have the link to the DOT regs?

Per the Oxy Hackers book, there is a CGA Publication referring to badly abused industrial tanks that require extensive tumbling to remove deep pitting, but it is not law...

49 CFR 180.205 - General requirements for requalification of specification cylinders.
(d) Conditions requiring test and inspection of cylinders. Without regard to any other periodic requalification requirements, a cylinder must be tested and inspected in accordance with this section prior to further use if—
(1) The cylinder shows evidence of dents, corrosion, cracked or abraded areas, leakage, thermal damage, or any other condition that might render it unsafe for use in transportation;
(2) The cylinder has been in an accident and has been damaged to an extent that may adversely affect its lading retention capability;
(3) The cylinder shows evidence of or is known to have been over-heated; or
(4) The Associate Administrator determines that the cylinder may be in an unsafe condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom