Extremely poor visibility without mask (skill)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am training to dive for my Ocean Diver (BSAC) and as part of the skills, my instructor told me to remove my mask, drop it to the bottom of the pool, swim away, turn around, find the mask, refit it and clear it.

I was happy doing this but when I attempted to see underwater, my vision was VERY blurred and kind of double, with other divers in the water, I couldn't see if I was going to bump into them when swimming and it got difficult to navigate. I decided for my safety and others (to stop me swimming into them when they too have no masks on) I decided to surface. If I had to swim down again to recover my mask I think I would have had real problems recovering it.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody have an suggestions on how best to do this please?

Your mask is on the bottom and your vision is highly compromised. Avoid large dark shapes as you make your way to the bottom to look for your mask. Try to stay just off the bottom as you search.

Nope,sounds about right,especially salty water makes it worse. Your eyes should get used to it

I don't know what stage you're at in your lectures but this will be covered in the theory element of your course.

Your eyes have evolved to focus in air and the primary role of your mask is to create an air space to enable your eyes to focus correctly. Remove that air space and your eyes simply will not focus underwater.

The purpose of the exercise your instructor has given you is to demonstrate that, although your vision will be blurred, you can still see and function albeit less efficiently and to develop your confidence in doing so.

Complete the skill and don't worry about other divers as they'll have their masks on and can see that you don't. It is therefore for them to get out of your way.

If you keep losing direction use your fingers to find a join in the tile floor of the pool and follow it to go in a straight line.

If you keep losing direction use your fingers to find a join in the tile floor of the pool and follow it to go in a straight line.
I'd never have thought of this - brilliant! Thank you! :)

It might go without saying, but a black mask in a pool will be far easier to spot than a clear one (which can be impossible to spot even with your mask on!). Of course any dropped mask in the ocean is a gonner.

a side goal of this exercise (the main obvious one being recover and clear your mask) is the ability to handle stress in a safe way. Relax, go slow, and accomplish the task. That is one of the main things that this is about. Keep in mind, you have air, so the rest is just an "inconvenience".

a side goal of this exercise (the main obvious one being recover and clear your mask) is the ability to handle stress in a safe way. Relax, go slow, and accomplish the task. That is one of the main things that this is about. Keep in mind, you have air, so the rest is just an "inconvenience".

Indeed,primary takeaway from the skill is "dont panic and bolt" a lost mask is inconvenient but not life threatening. Find it or get help to find it or ascend safely

Yup - it's not a timed or judged exercise. There's no extra points for speed or style!

Keep eyes squinted very tightly, with just a small crack to see. This seems to help focus a little better. I can see hardly anything without my mask but I know in a pinch I'll do okay. I had an old purge valve mask break about 15 years ago, while if was on a wreck in heavy current at about 80 feet. I had my buddy hold my arm lightly and guide me to the ascent line. The hard part was reading my timer. I was using a digital timex watch at the time for my timer, not easy to see in that situation.
Take your time, don't freak out. A lot of students have trouble breathing without a mask covering their nose. That can be difficult for a beginner.
I carry a spare mask in my drysuit pocket nowadays. I've never lost a mask but I have had them kicked off a couple of times, plus that broken one.

Back
Top Bottom