Faber Donut malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sc00bad1v3r

Registered
Reaction score
We sell Faber tanks at the shop I work at. As of today, we have had 7 donuts come back off of Faber steel tanks that had blowouts (off multiple regs). Some of these were at depth. Ive contacted Faber but they did not respond me calls. I believe these donuts are defective and a recall is in order. Has anyone else had this issue? Faber tried blaming our whip, not the case since we fill hundreds of tanks no issues.

This is a very dangerous situation.

Is that the insert for a convertible DIN valve you are talking about?

Yes, the Din Insert for the Valve to covert it to Yoke.

We have replaced the defective ones with some of ours. Its the only way. Someone else out there HAS to be having this issue. If you look at the inlay where the standard o-ring goes, you can see larger than normal gaps. (yes i know its supposed to have a bend)

http://cdn.scubadiving.com.au/media...887a97daa66f/s/l/sl-dinins-dininsert-22_1.jpg

If it is the o-ring between the tank and reg, I have had the problem. It turned out that although a standard o-ring might work sometimes, the Faber o-ring is a different size and when I switched to it I've had no more problems.

Bob

Faber makes tanks not valves. What type of valve is this as it may be in tanks other than Faber?

Faber makes tanks not valves. What type of valve is this as it may be in tanks other than Faber?

Since it was my buddy's tank and he moved out of state, I can't check. It did come standard on the tank and was a capped right side of a manifold. After finding out it was different from my LDS and getting some spares I lost interest. I assumed the valve was made in Europe, and although the tank thread was US, the DIN insert, including the o-ring, was metric.

Bob

From awap on another board
Some valves (like scubapro) use a thicker yoke o-ring that is a 2-112. The thinner o-ring (the 1-014) may stay in place and seal but will often get blown out.i

This may be the same issue I ran into. It was a "ScubaPro" Faber tank, as I remember.

Bob

I had the same problem and a 013 worked perfectly

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom