Faber, OMS or Worthington?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am sure there are several topics on this and i did a search but could not find it. Why do you prefer your faber, worthington, or OMS hp tanks. Also why would you suggest one over the other. I am looking for a hp tanks and trying to figure out which brand to get. I will be doing dives off the coast of NC in the 100-130 range on the deeper side.

Thanks

I have 3 Faber tanks (95, 117, 120) and love them. I bought Faber simply because my LDS has them is stock. I am curious to see what others say.

IMO there is no significant difference between Faber and Worthington cylinders (not sure who makes OMS tanks but I'm fairly certain they don't make their own) with respect to construction and use.

The one area where people seem to have opinions is the cosmetics / external coating of the cylinders. I presume Faber tanks are still painted? If so I would suggest that over the long haul they will require more user attention as paint chips or scrapes easier than the galvanized finish on Worthington tanks. Just my 2 cents worth...

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Have and dive Faber, Worthington and PST. I'm sure there are subtle -and maybe not so subtle- differences but since mine are either different sizes or configurations I don't notice a difference. Bottom line is they're all good tanks.
PS: If I remember correctly OMS are/were pretty much either Faber for LP or PST for HP.

I have Faber and Worthington cylinders. I like the Worthington's galvanized finish. Faber's I have to touch up with paint from time to time.

IMO there is no significant difference between Faber and Worthington cylinders (not sure who makes OMS tanks but I'm fairly certain they don't make their own) with respect to construction and use.

The one area where people seem to have opinions is the cosmetics / external coating of the cylinders. I presume Faber tanks are still painted? If so I would suggest that over the long haul they will require more user attention as paint chips or scrapes easier than the galvanized finish on Worthington tanks. Just my 2 cents worth...

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Fabers are zinc sprayed and then epoxy painted. (white)

Worthingtons are "hot dip galvanized" and left with the "natural" coloring/finish from that process.

I don't think OMS sells any high pressure tanks. They do have several nice low pressure (2640 psi) tanks though.

As for Faber versus Worthington - I have a Worthington X7-100 and a Faber F7-120. The Worthington is hot-dip galvanized, whereas the Faber is treated by hot zinc spraying and painted. I believe that hot-dip galvanizing process provides more protection against corrosion, especially in salt water, but the experts at Faber think their process is better. The Faber is a nice looking tank.

The Faber tanks are slightly less buoyant, slightly heavier and slightly taller than the corresponding Worthington cylinders. In my opinion, that trade-off favors the Worthington tanks.

I don't think that any of the differences are that serious, though - except the OMS, which is just not a high-pressure tank.

The reason I bought the Faber is that I got a good deal on a new old stock (1 year old hydro) tank on e-Bay. If the price had been the same, I would have bought another Worthington, but I saved about $100 by buying the Faber instead.

I avoid anything OMS, their customer service is deservedly infamous. If you develop any problems with their stuff, you're screwed.

I have 2 Faber 12L shorts, going to add 2 more Faber 12l longs for doubles shortly.

I have Worthington LP 85s and the Fabers are a little longer an thinner. I wonder if I would be less head heavy in them, but it's probably nothing a little tail weighting won't cure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom