Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. That's how it registered on me too.

There's always two sides to this issue, though. It's a dynamic between instructor and student and even though the student may be more demanding or in need of the instructor's attention or guidance, the instructor shouldn't be automatcially exonerated either.

Whenever I get a "_____" student I take them aside at some point and have a real heart to heart with them and get expectations on both sides out in the open. Clearly that didn't happen here. Obviously both parties could have taken the initiative but my expectation of the instructor would have been for them to take the lead because the instructor is in the position of authority/leadership and we see this happening on a fairly regular basis and should be in a good position to recognise it.

Unfortunately sometimes the student and the instructor both lack what it takes to get the issues out in the open so they can be resolved and once the "avoid the issues" dance starts in ernest it can escalate. The instructor, not knowing what to do with her, may have written G off at some point and clearly she has written him off too.

It's seldom one thing.

R..

FYI there is much assuming,

and I must say well this 'could' of been it..

How about this.. I was very very VERY direct to my specific needs and expectations. I was very forward in what I understood- this class to be- because I have specific needs. And those were addressed extensively.
I should of NEVER carried tank one. My fault- I should of left that shop b4 that ocean dive- but you know by gones :)

But know this much, I have NO gain at bad mouthing them. Who wants to be dissected in a forum ya know?

It don't matter all these other facts other than the general information it gives... such as what could possibly happen to YOU.. and just be aware.
This dive shop would do under handed stuff- such as add stuff on to what I was buying without asking if I wanted the extra.. It doesn't matter how large or small it was, I should of been told about optional pieces.
Then opening products and handing them to my son and tell him they were his without my knowledge, and then come to me later tell me I was buying them.
So far I have fins- masks, snorkels, boots- that is it! But this little adventure has cost me around 1,500 without the certification!...

Far cry from come on in, I will 'get you certified for 199.00 --- oh and he took off 100 for doing the online class-- NOT.... that 199.00 was the advertised price for the class at the time.

And this was never my direction to go for this post--- however informational it is-- it was about the ocean experience for the most part.
:shakehead:

I don't believe the dive shop has been named anywhere.

I agree with tregrr's excellent post.

I don't however..

For one if they said they read every single post they would have known I already LEFT the dive shop the night prior- and WAS NOT going to return. and had already moved on to what I would do next-

Also--- the mood changed after I told them I was not buying my weights from them.. From that moment on things weren't the same. I knew it, he knew I knew it. We discussed it. He made a issue of it actually and blamed others for making issue when they hadn't.. Because the others came up to me in Monterey and cleared up HIS lie.

I'm not sure why some are finding it a goal to try and piece together something they haven't half the pieces to.

It's impossible. You can imagine what happened but it won't be right. Whats the point anyways? lol

And then the big ole' resolve post? It was resolved already- well eek...
I already left-

Not so much following the whole I got to know and I got to explain theme here.

for the umpteenth bagillionth katzillionth time, its my experience, if ya want to help with some ideas how to get my files through ssi... or what a students rights are. Generalize that would be quite helpful.

How bout them cowboys :coffee:

I should of NEVER carried tank one.

I'm curious about this. It's not clear to me why you were saying this. Do you have some kind of physical disability that prevents you from carrying your own gear?

I'm understanding that you felt swindled by the shop because they were pushy about the gear sales. I wouldn't have liked that either, tbh.

R..

You can go to a different shop to do you cert. dives with. I am very sorry you had such a experience, dont let it stop you , diving is worth it, most dive shops and divers are great. Good luck

I too do not remember exactly what the tank issue was, I do remember that there was more tanks than I would have thought would fit in her car .. I'm thinking it was because the shop did not want to pay for air fills and her to carry all the tanks needed for all the dives

... just for your information GIORia , it happens that your posts will be picked apart and each piece analized by it's self ... It's pretty normal for an internet forum, Please dont let it discourage you from ScubaBoard, I have met many wonderful people from here, and learned much because of it

Oh yeah, I remember now. She had to put 6 tanks and all her gear in a mustang.

Seems odd that the shop wouldn't be willing to transport the tanks for her, actually. Maybe the instructor's car was a Smart! LOL

R..

I find it odd too, they should have, or at least just suck it up and purchase the needed air fills

and while I'm not a good judge of what others are paying for OW cert , it sounds like 1500 should get two OW certs ...

I can't be sure but the number doesn't appear to be for the course.

I think she said that the course was $200 ($400 for her and her son). That number is on the low side, I think, so the shop was probably using the course as a loss-leader and pushing gear sales to compensate. That could explain why they were so pushy about her buying a bunch of gear and why she ultimately ended up paying a lot more for the course.

R..

Don't be discouraged, scuba is amazing.

Maybe looking on the bright side since you had this epic struggle you will appreciate it even more than the majority who never have this problem :)

I hope everything works out for you, I to am new to diving so I don't really have any dive specific suggestions but could you file with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or some other consumer advocacy thing.

I can't be sure but the number doesn't appear to be for the course.

I think she said that the course was $200 ($400 for her and her son). That number is on the low side, I think, so the shop was probably using the course as a loss-leader and pushing gear sales to compensate. That could explain why they were so pushy about her buying a bunch of gear and why she ultimately ended up paying a lot more for the course.

R..
yes, my own OW was a two for one deal, yes, I did buy all my gear from them, but I got unbelievable prices on all of it except the SP Knighthawk, and all my training with them has been very good in that respect as well

You need to find a shop that you like, that treats you well, that you like the instructor that you have and that he has a good reputaion for turning out safe divers, that have fun diving (that's very important .. I've had the same one for all my training)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom