Failed 25m underwater swim.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then we can discuss why this test is so critical for someone wanting to teach scuba diving.
The skill isn't critical. However, IMO, it's a reasonable test of basic watermanship, fitness, and ability to keep calm under pressure.

underwater breast stroke (quite different from normal surface breast stroke).
Only stroke I would use for that. Focus most of the power of my stroke on the upper body, legs are oxygen hogs!
When I was swimming competitively in the 1980s. I did 50 yard (45.72m) underwater swims regularly. That's two lengths of the old US standard 25 yard pool. I did 50m once in high school during a warmup at a meet at the pool they built for the '84 Olympics. My longest underwater swim was 200 feet (61m) at my 100 foot college water polo pool.

I also used to practice holding my breath while sitting on the lifeguard stand (pool only, I didn't do this at the beach). My best was 3:30. Nobody I knew back then could come close to matching me so I thought I was the best. And then years later, I found out what the real apnea swimmers could do :)

For example, here's the old 244m no fins record. The same guy later pushed it to 250m. Notice the technique, big pulls and lots of glide.

Wow! but I found interesting, the guy had somewhat of a sloppy recovery stroke.

Only stroke I would use for that. Focus most of the power of my stroke on the upper body, legs are oxygen hogs!

Wow! but I found interesting, the guy had somewhat of a sloppy recovery stroke.
I'm not seeing that. The point of the recovery is low total drag. He waits until speed is down to start the recovery, has good hand position, and keeps everything in close to his body.

This was the no fins underwater swimming record for 6 years (and he's the one who broke it), which also suggests his technique was acceptable :)

Or slower. Pull all the way through and milk the glide.
So much this. Resistance increase with speed, so does the effort which builds CO2. Also, state of mind.
When I did my CMAS R1, I had to doff equipment at the bottom of 15 ft pool, swim to the edge and surface. Dive back down and over to pile I left on the bottom, I found my valve closed. No biggie, open the valve and don the rest.
Point is, forget the end result. It's a test, not life and death situation. You can always take it again. Relax and just go along. You can do it.

I'm not seeing that. The point of the recovery is low total drag. He waits until speed is down to start the recovery, has good hand position, and keeps everything in close to his body.

This was the no fins underwater swimming record for 6 years (and he's the one who broke it), which also suggests his technique was acceptable :)

I'm being nit-picky. Guy was awesome. I've swum with some D1 and Olympic qualifiers and watched them do recover stroke, they are super tight. I've done breast in some masters meets.....ugly to say the least... :)

I'm being nit-picky. Guy was awesome. I've swum with some D1 and Olympic qualifiers and watched them do recover stroke, they are super tight. I've done breast in some masters meets.....ugly to say the least... :)
I see your point. I suspect it was a conscious decision to avoid the additional muscular effort required to keep the arms in tighter. Top speed is not important here.

So as not to be deterred, encountering reticence is quite common among some of the loathing participants who prefer not to engage in anything that lessens the focus of attention from their own heroic exploits. A free-diving course would be the sensible approach to your problem. The dropout rate is high—don’t leave it to chance.

Only Planning Ensures Real Achievement.

We require a 25 m underwater swim during our volunteer diver recruitment. Over the years, I think that we have had 4 people come through that I couldn't talk/coach/encourage through completing it. One of them freely told me that she couldn't swim, two were incredibly unfit, and the final one just wouldn't try a second time.

This is not a tough task and pretty much anyone who can swim can pass it with just a little coaching. If you want to retest, find a swim coach. Just a few lessons will set you on the lane to sucess.

We require a 25 m underwater swim during our volunteer diver recruitment. Over the years, I think that we have had 4 people come through that I couldn't talk/coach/encourage through completing it. One of them freely told me that she couldn't swim, two were incredibly unfit, and the final one just wouldn't try a second time.

This is not a tough task and pretty much anyone who can swim can pass it with just a little coaching. If you want to retest, find a swim coach. Just a few lessons will set you on the lane to sucess.
I will get a swim coach. I am fit enough and am a good swimmer. I have and do want to keep on trying. It is 100% in my head. I get that tight chest feeling (and I know it’s not caused by lack of O2) panic and come up for air. When I dive I’m very relaxed and comfortable. All other requirements I have completed easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom