Failed Open Water Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP,

First of all, don't be discouraged.

I think a lot of the advice given already is pretty good but I have one or 2 suggestions to make.

1) If you need help to avoid hurting yourself on slippy rocks then ask for assistance. Most divers are willing to lend a hand when asked.

2) Before you enter the water, wet your face - it'll feel cold but it will feel more pleasant when you do your descent.

3) Bring a thermos with either hot soup/chocolate - it lifts the spirits between dives and it's a good way to bribe other divers into being helpful :)

4) Insist on the shop taking you to a different site - another day can often be totally different.

I took a private class because my work schedule made it impossible to take the regular 5-week class. My instructor was very patient and encouraging and I did quite well in the theory and pool work portion of the course. Then I went to the open water dive weekend at the end of October. Things did not go well there.

My instructor was not there. . . . The day of the first dive it was raining heavily. We had to descend to the beach, carrying our gear, over a fairly challenging (for me, at least) "stair" of very slippery rocks. By the time I got all my gear down, which took three trips, I was exhausted, soaked and cold.

I then put on all the gear for the very first time. . . . The 7ml farmer jane, gloves and hood were not only uncomfortable, but made it nearly impossible for me to do things I had done easily in the pool. I couldn't even get my fins on. . . . This produced a great deal of anxiety. The unfamiliar gear, the extra weight (lots of extra weight), the rain - I was just overwhelmed. I felt clumsy. I tried to soldier on, but one of the instructors finally called it. I packed up, carried my gear back up the damned rocks and went home. . . . Any thoughts? Does this just happen sometimes? Is the shop being reasonable? Should I just suck it up, complete the extra pool sessions and head for warm water? Any suggestions for alternatives?
I think there is a pretty clear consensus, among other posters, on your experience, and I will probably just add to it, and may not offer uniquely new perspectives.

1. Your experience with the gear is unfortunately not all that uncommon. Too often, new(er) divers are put in, or buy and use, new / unfamiliar gear for the first time during dives at the end of the course. I see this often in AOW - divers find AOW to be a great time to buy their first set of gear and show up ready to dive in gear they have only put on in the shop when they bought it. That doesn't work well in many cases. But, not infrequently, OW students do their Confined Water training in a warm, comfortable pool. then head out to do their OW dives in cold water and have to don thick neoprene, which requires LOTS of weight, for the first time. That happens with our early season OW classes, where we put OW students in the full Famer John/Jane rig with shorty on top to get in the 60 dgeree quarry in May, when they have been in a warm pool right up to that point. Usually, I try to have them use thick neoprene for the last CW session, just so they don't encounter what you did - environmental shock. The thick neoprene can be a real bear. When you pay for private instruction, you have a reason to expect a little more advance planning, and help in becoming acclimated to the difference. Your comments don't suggest you are a bad, or weak, or inadequate diver. Rather, you were abruptly thrust into an unfamiliiar, somewhat unpleasant, environment. Some people can adapt quickly, others may not. It is not a sign of weakness or inadequacy to feel less than confident at first.

2. I tend to agree with those who questioned the absence of your instructor. You paid for private instruction and that should (and usually does) include private OW dives. Yet, it sounds like you were put into a large group for your OW dives (and without your instructor). Unless there is something else to the story that we are missing (e.g. you absolutely HAD to finsh by a certain date, and those OW dives were your only option, and your instructor simply was not available), that should not have happened. And, I don't get the impression that you were pushing the timeline.

3. You learned a valuable lesson (unplanned, but nonetheless valuable) - any diver can call any dive, at any time, for any reason. It sounds like the dive was called not just for you but for the others as well. That is suggestive that the conditions were seen as not reasonable for OW diving instruction. I appreciate the shop's desire to proceed, despite the rain, etc. Here in NC, unless there is lightening, we will go ahead with planned weekend dives, for OW, AOW, Rescue, whatever (and, even then, we just stay out of the water untill the lightening stops). To paraphrase Herodotus, '"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous scuba instructors and students from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". Well, maybe 'gloom of night', for new diver OW dives.

4. The shop's offer of extra pool sessions suggest they perceive the problem to be your skills, or your anxiety level. They were there, we were not, so I must defer to first-hand observations. But, if you only got as far as floating on the water, it is difficult to see how any determination of skills could be the issue. And, you have already said you were anxious by the time you got the gear down to the entry, and got the thick neoprene on. I am not sure how two extra pool sessions, NOT IN FULL NEOPRENE, will help that. You need to be in the gear you will dive in.

5. It sounds, from your commentary AND from another poster, that the site was perhaps not optimal, and that another local site would be better. A $20 entry fee - who cares?

So, I would:

1. Discuss the experience with your instructor, who should be familiar with your skills. He should also be your advocate with the shop. Be courteous, but firm and direct about what you expect in the way of private instruction.

2. Get into the pool again, but insist that you have a chance to work in the full neoprene (you can probably leave the hood and gloves off much of the time). Yes, it will probably be a bit warm, but if you stay in the water, that should be OK. Use that opportunity to get used to the neoprene, AND get your weight optimized (for fresh water), AND figure out how to use your BCD with the neoprene, etc. Go over your skills again, in that rig. Wearing thick neoprene takes some getting used to.

3. Thank the shop for their helpful suggestion that you go someplace warm for your OW dives. But, indicate that you would rather go someplace local, AND APPROPRIATE, for your OW dives, since that is the environment in which you plan to dive.

2. I tend to agree with those who questioned the absence of your instructor. You paid for private instruction and that should (and usually does) include private OW dives. Yet, it sounds like you were put into a large group for your OW dives (and without your instructor). Unless there is something else to the story that we are missing (e.g. you absolutely HAD to finsh by a certain date, and those OW dives were your only option, and your instructor simply was not available), that should not have happened. And, I don't get the impression that you were pushing the timeline.
I do not know if Collliam includes the training dives in his private course fees , but here in NY , we do not. There is a fee for the ow course academics/pool and another for the 4 training dives. Perhaps this is how the op had it arranged. We can do private ow dives, it comes at a higher cost than a group fee. Very often here in NY we find that people that can afford to get private course schedules usually get on a plane to complete the 4 ow dives.When they do request local ow dives we deliver as private on a boat just themselves and instr/dm..

Rooting for you! Don't be discourage, keep plugging away.

I would have a discussion with your instructor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2) Before you enter the water, wet your face - it'll feel cold but it will feel more pleasant when you do your descent.

Mammalian Dive Reflex......

I think there is a pretty clear consensus, among other posters, on your experience, and I will probably just add to it, and may not offer uniquely new perspectives.

1. Your experience with the gear is unfortunately not all that uncommon. Too often, new(er) divers are put in, or buy and use, new / unfamiliar gear for the first time during dives at the end of the course. I see this often in AOW - divers find AOW to be a great time to buy their first set of gear and show up ready to dive in gear they have only put on in the shop when they bought it. That doesn't work well in many cases. But, not infrequently, OW students do their Confined Water training in a warm, comfortable pool. then head out to do their OW dives in cold water and have to don thick neoprene, which requires LOTS of weight, for the first time. That happens with our early season OW classes, where we put OW students in the full Famer John/Jane rig with shorty on top to get in the 60 dgeree quarry in May, when they have been in a warm pool right up to that point. Usually, I try to have them use thick neoprene for the last CW session, just so they don't encounter what you did - environmental shock. The thick neoprene can be a real bear. When you pay for private instruction, you have a reason to expect a little more advance planning, and help in becoming acclimated to the difference. Your comments don't suggest you are a bad, or weak, or inadequate diver. Rather, you were abruptly thrust into an unfamiliiar, somewhat unpleasant, environment. Some people can adapt quickly, others may not. It is not a sign of weakness or inadequacy to feel less than confident at first.

3. You learned a valuable lesson (unplanned, but nonetheless valuable) - any diver can call any dive, at any time, for any reason. It sounds like the dive was called not just for you but for the others as well. That is suggestive that the conditions were seen as not reasonable for OW diving instruction. I appreciate the shop's desire to proceed, despite the rain, etc. Here in NC, unless there is lightening, we will go ahead with planned weekend dives, for OW, AOW, Rescue, whatever (and, even then, we just stay out of the water untill the lightening stops). To paraphrase Herodotus, '"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous scuba instructors and students from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". Well, maybe 'gloom of night', for new diver OW dives.

4. The shop's offer of extra pool sessions suggest they perceive the problem to be your skills, or your anxiety level. They were there, we were not, so I must defer to first-hand observations. But, if you only got as far as floating on the water, it is difficult to see how any determination of skills could be the issue. And, you have already said you were anxious by the time you got the gear down to the entry, and got the thick neoprene on. I am not sure how two extra pool sessions, NOT IN FULL NEOPRENE, will help that. You need to be in the gear you will dive in.

5. It sounds, from your commentary AND from another poster, that the site was perhaps not optimal, and that another local site would be better. A $20 entry fee - who cares?

So, I would:

1. Discuss the experience with your instructor, who should be familiar with your skills. He should also be your advocate with the shop. Be courteous, but firm and direct about what you expect in the way of private instruction.

2. Get into the pool again, but insist that you have a chance to work in the full neoprene (you can probably leave the hood and gloves off much of the time). Yes, it will probably be a bit warm, but if you stay in the water, that should be OK. Use that opportunity to get used to the neoprene, AND get your weight optimized (for fresh water), AND figure out how to use your BCD with the neoprene, etc. Go over your skills again, in that rig. Wearing thick neoprene takes some getting used to.

3. Thank the shop for their helpful suggestion that you go someplace warm for your OW dives. But, indicate that you would rather go someplace local, AND APPROPRIATE, for your OW dives, since that is the environment in which you plan to dive.

Thanks for your encouragement.

The dive was not called; only my part in it. I don't think the conditions were all that unusual for OW for this shop or this area.

I will have a talk with my instructor as the January date for the first pool session gets a little closer. We will definitely talk about doing the pool sessions in gear, although TSandM may be right that the full kit would be difficult to impossible in a heated pool. I can try it anyway. Even having the gloves on for practice would be an improvement.

When I left the OW, one of the dive masters suggested having my instructor come back to Hoodsport with me for a one-on-one OW weekend. I'm not sure how possible that is, but we will talk about that as well. I was not under any time constraint myself as far as the timing of the OW dives. If I do go back to Hoodsport, it will be Sund Rock and not Octopus Hole, at least for my first few dives.

Thanks again, everyone. You have given me needed encouragement and a lot to think about.

Opening the zipper during the pool diving :coolingoff:will be a big help in keeping you from getting to hot.. I don,t know about other divers.. But I like being warm..:wink:

And DON"T let anyone talk you out of pool diving in all your gear... And I mean " YOUR " gear that you will be diving in...

Jim...

Coldwater diving is not easy, it is very challenging for both student and instructor.

Like most instructors, I've seen it all and what happened in this case is very typical, even if properly prepared. In my classes, the last day in the pool, is always an open water preparation day. Basically, wearing your OW gear including 7mm suit, figuring out how to put all that gear on, inside in the warmth. Then spending a while practicing all the same drills with the gear to familiarize yourself with it. Anyone who doesn't teach you how to deal with a 7mm suit, hood, gloves, in the pool is crazy. Heck, I highly recommended all my students wear 3mm suits in the pool to keep them warm because it does get cold and just getting use to wearing a suit, is important.

I think reliance on a particular instructor is not so great. So I'm OK with the private instructor giving you a whole new challenge, its not a bad thing at all. Yea, it would have been nice for him to be there, but its unnecessary had he prepared you properly.

Preparation is the key and its what's lacking with most LDS OW courses. People wanna get you in and out the door as quickly as possible and that's not how you build good divers. You were set up for a loose-loose situation because you weren't prepared for the realities of diving. This isn't your fault, this is the fault of the private instructor, its that simple. So I'd go back to them, ask for another day in the pool going over the skills and wear your 7mm suit, get your weighting down good in the pool so you only have to make minor corrections for the salt water.

Whatever you do, don't give up! Cold water diving in the rain is a challenge for ANYONE, not just you. :wink:

I think the shop is being reasonable - by giving you some extra free pool sessions it shows they have your interests in mind, many would fob you off with excuses and negative thoughts to get you out of their 'hair'.
Good luck for January!

Personally, I fail to see where this shop had the OP best interest in mind IF they failed to properly prepare him for his OW dives. If your qualifying for your C card regardless of location, its the instructors duty to prepare the diver for the required dives. Unless the OP signed up for a trip to Coz to get his OW there the instructor and maybe the dive shop failed him...! Especially if the OP was doing pool work in a swimsuit or 3mm and nobody took the time at insisted the student work with a 7mm with gloves and a hood!!!

The student is being taught and should be taken better care of... Myself, I always wondered about OW students and how their first dives were handled when learning up north. I know my buddy got his OW up in Alaska some 30 years ago (shout out to Dorsey if hes out there) and he was diving dry... Not sure however if that was from dive 1 or not...

No disrespect intended and its only one side of the story but I do believe the instructor/s are responsible in preparing students properly in the elements they will be diving... lee

I think the main problem here is the dive shop not making the new diver's first open water dive experience as easy as possible. I continually see in Sydney at one site dive shops who take divers on their OW course to the unprotected side of an island when they could easily take them to the protected side. We have seen them battered and rolled around as they enter or exit the water. Do they have a great dive experience? I think not. Will they become regular divers? Probably not.

Why not take divers to a very easy spot where they will have no environmental issues? Lazy? Stupid? Cheapskates? Only the second one applies in the cases in Sydney.

Do not give up, insist on more dives in the pool with full gear. Then redo the open water dives at a very easy site. If you need to carry gear in parts to the water's edge, you should not be diving there (in fact I, with 3290 dives should also not be diving there).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom