Failed OW for Breathing Too Much; How can I fix it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone else think this seems strange???

Yes, several of us think it's very strange. I can't imagine that a student would be failed for the above account.

That's why I wonder if:

a) The OP is a troll.

or

b) There were other factors involved in the student not passing. Maybe it's possible that the instructor didn't feel that the student was ready? (But if that's the case, why would the instuctor say it was based on gas consumption...hmmm.)

Not a troll

The whole dive wasn't at 51 ft. Most of it was at 25-30 ft. On the last 2 dives we went down to 51 ft for about 1 minute. As I said I used 100 at 25ft but when I would swim along 25 ft I would consume air at a great rate. I'm 30, not a smoker, in shape.

There was another beginner and people on their 5th dive who were way ahead of me in air consumption.

My instructor just told me to come back the following weekend and will only charge me for a wetsuit rental ($80). He provides the bc/tanks, etc. Figure it's a small price to pay for more diving experience. Not like he's trying to make extra $, as I'm sure their time is more valuable.

Whatever, I'm just glad to hear that there are still instructors who, for whatever reason, won't just push a student through the mill. Hyperventilating could be a good reason.

$80 for a wetsuit? You do mean $8, right?

Not a troll

The whole dive wasn't at 51 ft. Most of it was at 25-30 ft. On the last 2 dives we went down to 51 ft for about 1 minute. As I said I used 100 at 25ft but when I would swim along 25 ft I would consume air at a great rate. I'm 30, not a smoker, in shape.

There was another beginner and people on their 5th dive who were way ahead of me in air consumption.

My instructor just told me to come back the following weekend and will only charge me for a wetsuit rental ($80). He provides the bc/tanks, etc. Figure it's a small price to pay for more diving experience. Not like he's trying to make extra $, as I'm sure their time is more valuable.

What agency are you trying to certify through? PADI? NAUI?

Not a troll

sounds wrong to me..I never had to fail someone for high air use.You rent a wetsuit for $80.Very high rate.You can buy a new one anywhere from $95(3mm) to $200/$300. for a 5mm/7mm.Where are you located? I rarely fail someone on a training dive simply because they DO NOT leave the pool until I feel they are ready.Sometimes I'll get someone elses student on a referral and I would fail them if needed and get them some pool time before trying again.

I noticed the depth too, but I don't know the standards for all of the agencies.

Many agencies have a 60 ft limit for all of the check out dives for their entry level class. Most agencies do not specify which dives which skills must be performed or at what depth.

Perhaps the high consumption rate meant having to abort the dive before all of the required skills had been performed? That would seem more likely, and would also explain the instructor offering to come back the following weekend.

Pure speculation but perhaps it was comfort level in the water and not air consumption rate that prevented the instructor from certifying him. That SAC isn't too bad for a beginner. My first dive after my checkout dives was about 25m @ a max depth of 60'.

Somebody mentioned that perhaps the instructor wasn't able to get through all of the skills due to the air consumption. It'd be nice if the instructor said that though.

OTOH, if you're looking to increase your SAC, I've found that aerobic exercise is much better than weight training. Certainly obvious to many people here but not us newbies. :D

$80 for a wetsuit? You do mean $8, right?

It's $80 for the weekend for a 7mm wet suit and 7mm long johns (giving 14mm of protection) plus the 4 air tanks, bc, regular. Plus their time. I do have to pay admission to the quarry which I consider seperate.

After the first of 4 dives I was pretty much 1 on 1 with instructor. And to get to quarry from our location it's $20 in tolls + $20 in gas/per day, so I didn't think $80 is a big price.

I mean basically i'm paying $40/day to have more instructions on 2 dives for two days?

Perhaps it's liability too. They feel if I dive deep and run out of air, it wouldn't be right to them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom