Failure Combinatorics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree that the initial problem solving is more reaction based on pre noted circumstances.
But then comes the time to think(and rearange the team), was this an all usable, halves, or thirds dive, what resources are still avaliable.
What's the teams next plan of action?
Do we have the gas to get back to the upline or do we do a free ascent what are the pro's and con's of each.

There is some thinking to be done almost anytime something fails.
These secenarios are a simulator for real dives.
They are designed to make you think so when the real thing happens you already have most of the answers.

Just my THOUGHTS on the subject.:D

Milo

I think that I should define the context a little tighter. This relates to tech1 students coming into class being exposed to a lot of this stuff for the first time.

Going into the class you can do visualization excercises to run through different pieces of the overall scenarios. So sit down and think through what happens after the donator in an OOA situation gets bubbles off of either post and how the team responds -- what do you do if you're the donator, what happens if you're OOG, what happens when you're the third diver? What do you see? What is the appropriate response? While visualization is no substitute for going through the course, going into the course having practiced visualization beforehand should make you better prepared.

The whole point of this thread is that there were a few times when my buddies told me that "I was clearly thinking better underwater" and that didn't actually reflect what was going on in my head. When I donated and then had a right post leak, I had thought about that enough beforehand that it was obvious that shutting down the right post (shutting down the long hose going into my buddies mouth) would not be the correct instinct. Underwater, I didn't think and just started indicating that my buddy needed to swap.

The basic things you shouldn't really need to think a whole lot about. And the big problems that we were having as a team were that there often was way too much sitting around thinking about issues underwater.

There's thinking and then there's thinking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom