False Rumor: Starbucks Does Not Support the Troops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbles3d

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received this e-mail below but not sure if it is true or not. Does anyone know about this and is it true? Any assistance would be greatful, thanks!

> know how much they liked their coffees and to request that they send some
> of it to the troops there.
>
> Starbucks replied, telling the Marines thank you for their support of their
> business, but that Starbucks does not support the war, nor anyone in it, and
> that they would not send the troops their brand of coffee.
>
> So as not to offend Starbucks, maybe we should not support them by buying
> any of their products! I feel we should get this out in the open. I know this
> war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we
> don't support the boys on the ground fighting street-to-street and
> house-to-house.
>
> If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it and
> no one will never know.
>
> Thanks very much for your support. I know you'll all b e there again
> when I deploy once more.
>
> Semper Fidelis
> Sgt. Howard C. Wright
> 1st Force Recon Co
> 1st Plt
>
>
> Also, don't forget that when the Twin Trade Towers were hit the fire fighters
> and rescue workers went to Starbucks because it was close by for water for
> the survivors and workers and Starbucks charged them! ! !
>
> JUST A NOTE TO THIS; STARBUCKS HAD STORES ON SEVERAL MILITARY
> BASES IN THE UNITED STATES. THEY ARE NOW BEING REMOVED BECAUSE
> OF THIS. GO GET 'EM AMERICA. STAND-UP FOR OURSELVES!

I wonder if this is one of those fake internet urban legends....

EDIT... yep... this appears to be an internet fake/false email being sent around.

I'm not a big Starbucks fan because I choose not to pay $4 bucks for a cup of coffee, but this seems like an unwarrented attack on a company that didn't deserve it.

I'm talking about the email being sent around, not the above poster, however, it's easy to put 'starbucks' and 'military' into Google to find multiple hits on that before posting it... (but it's easy to fall for this type of thing being sent around.... so be carefull.)

see
From Snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages: Starbucks Refuses Marines

Press release from Starbucks.com
Rumor Response: Misinformation About Starbucks and the United States Military

DOD release about Starbucks helping Military
DefenseLink News Article: Starbucks’ Military Employees Get Special Blend of Support

Starbucks doesn't support the war in Iraq-Fiction! has a letter from the author stating that the content was wrong and false.

Here is Sgt. Wright's follow-up email after Starbucks spoke with him:

Dear Readers,

Almost 5 months ago I sent an e-mail to you my faithful friends. I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all. I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have. This is not true. Starbucks supports men and women in uniform. They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue. So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.

Now I ask that you all pass this email around to everyone you passed the last one to. Thank you very much for understanding about this.

Howard C. Wright
Sgt USMC
1st Force Rcon Co
1st Plt PLT RTO​

Now... back to my cheap cup of coffee that didn't cost me $4 bucks :)

Snopes says this is false, although it's true that FiveBuck's did charge rescuers for water:
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Starbucks Refuses Marines

That could have been a low paid employee that didn't have the right/ability to give away/donate inventory and didn't know any better....

I'm sure the same thing would have happened if someone went to McDonalds and said they needed lunch for 120 emergency workers.... unless the manager stepped in and gave direction. IF McDonalds or Starbucks doesn't allow local management to make such donations (which is the case in some corporations as a general rule) their hands still might have been tied.

Though I'm not a Starbucks fan, I think this is an isolated incident. BTW... I love how you call them "FiveBucks". :rofl3:

You're probably right, Mike. Then again, giving away their coffee would have been adding more hell to an already hellish situation... Nasty, bitter, insipid crap... *shudder of revulsion* I can't stand their coffee. The only worse coffee in the world, as far as I'm concerned, is McDonald's coffee. If that's all there is, then I'll go without. Seriously. *gag*

I don't understand why we need Snopes to figure out this is false. No company would indicate to a soldier "we don't support the war or anyone in it". That is ridiculous.

They just would not risk the bad PR. This was obviously a strike of military precision (tongue in cheek - a play on words - I doubt that the original email was even from a person serving).

I don't understand why we need Snopes to figure out this is false. No company would indicate to a soldier "we don't support the war or anyone in it".

Except Walmart.

And Microsoft.

And Democrats.

And that Ron Paul guy too. He hates America more than anyone!

Also the Cloverfield monster.

I took this pic just before Christmas at one of our local Starbucks. Looks to me like they support the troops...

1201747395.jpg

A clever corporate ploy, ScubaTexan. But with the power of computers, we've exposed the REAL image hiding behind your photoshopping:

eqpjfa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom