False Sense of Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A friend of mine is vacationing in Rhode Island this week. He's not sure if he's going to go diving or not. He'd rather do something like a shark cage dive where he is protected from sharks rather than a shore dive where he might feel he's being stalked by sharks. He could do it. He just may not enjoy it. He was a combat vet and I wonder if that feeling of concern of being stalked by a great white shark in murky New England waters might be a trigger for PTSD and something he really would not find fun at all. Kind of like going out on patrol and knowing you are a target for IED's, snipers, etc. Not exactly the same sort of Middle Eastern experience one would have relaxing by the pool in Dubai.

I get where he's coming from. New England gives me the creeps, too. I saw Jaws at the drive-in movies in my mom's station wagon with my family and friends when I was a kid. I can't help hear the, "Da-dum. Da-dum. Da-dum da-dum da-dum da-dum daaaaaaaa ..." when I'm submerging to Cape Cod style homes and murky salt water. But, I put it out of my mind as best as I can and have an adventure. Getting attacked by a shark ... well, I suppose that would just add to the adventure. I know some of you think I try to stay in shape to meet girls or be a better instructor. Nah. I just want to out swim my buddy.

My friend is okay scuba diving in freshwater -- even doing solo tech diving -- and diving in warm, clear tropical water where you are FAR more likely to get bit by a shark. We just watched that bull shark encounter with the spearo on YouTube. How many of us have been there? You are on the surface 40 or 50 feet above a reef. You are looking around totally excited, giddy with anticipation of the dive to come, waiting for your buddy to put his or her fins on ... BAM! You could get hit by a missile with teeth. I once had a large oceanic white tip follow me right up the ladder and veer away at the last moment. The crew told me about it and I didn't believe it, until a diver who was underwater as I came up the ladder surfaced and confirmed, "I thought you were going to get attacked!" Fortunately, that's rare. It's even more rare to be attacked by a shark in New England, but childhood and primordial fears don't vanish easily. One of my friends is truly afraid of ... wait for it ... vampires! He's 50 years old, but that scene of a kid turned vampire floating outside his friend's window in the 70's TV movie version of Steven King's, Salem's Lot, still affects him to this day.

Warm tropical reefs. Paradise. Provide us with a false sense of security compared to New England given shark bite statistics.

My personal favorite "false sense of security" in the diving industry is the buddy system. Two insta-buddies who have never shared gas before are now "good" because they have C-cards and each other. They are more likely to dive deeper and take more chances than if solo diving and they don't have the unified team thing going on like cave and DIR divers. But, it's okay ... not!

Anyway, my friend's false sense of security that he will see the shark coming in clear water and the false sense of security we sometimes have diving with a stranger are but two of the common false senses of security we find in diving. What's yours? What do you think makes people feel safer, but in reality, not so much?

It has just been recently "discovered" that the waters off Montauk (Long Island) are a birthing ground for Great Whites I say this because I live out here and have been diving the wrecks of NY/NJ since the late 70's I know a few people who have actually seen a Great White during a dive I have never seen a shark diving up here......to me instabuddies are more dangerous.

Trace I know of one dive op here that does cage diving "Sea Turtle Divers" never used them so can't give you any other info just see them at the fuel dock often.

Sea Turtle Charters.com,wreckdiving,sharkcage,montauk,blockisland,longisland

I feel safer when diving in a large group because I know that if a shark comes after us the odds are rather high that I will not be the slowest one in the group but that might be a false sense of security because the shark might actually go after a diver in better shape thinking I will taste better for some reason.

Anyway, my friend's false sense of security that he will see the shark coming in clear water and the false sense of security we sometimes have diving with a stranger are but two of the common false senses of security we find in diving. What's yours? What do you think makes people feel safer, but in reality, not so much?
The entire premise that scuba diving is safe. Scuba diving is NOT safe. Scuba Diving is done in a hazardous environment and depends on equipment working as designed, training that prepares you for all situations, and experience if either of the other 2 fail. I say again, scuba diving is not safe and the insurance companies are right. It is a dangerous sport.

It can, however, be done safely.

I feel safer when diving in a large group because I know that if a shark comes after us the odds are rather high that I will not be the slowest one in the group but that might be a false sense of security because the shark might actually go after a diver in better shape thinking I will taste better for some reason.
Ummm. I don't think that sharks follow a logic tree to figure out what tastes better, a well marbled human or a lean human. I expect that sharks chomp the first thing that gets in their mouf.

I worry about my wife and daughter when we’re diving as a group....no different on land, but I feel obligated to protect while diving....kinda takes the fun out of it for me. I need to just let it go...their accomplished divers albeit they get distracted very easily.

No worries about GW in the NE for me, I only dive in 100’ plus and 79* or higher temps :)

What do you think makes people feel safer, but in reality, not so much?

just a few things that come to mind...

-BF dive knife
-spare air (the tiny ones)
-dive / deco computers
-buddy / especially the insta-buddy

Because of my proximity to local dive sites, I am frequently on a dive with "first time" dive buddies. I am now resolved to bring along an AL72 'buddy-bottle' on dives such as these. It's good practice for be dragging a stage, and IMHO, nothing is safer than having a redundant 80cf of gas clipped to my side!

Does it give me a false sense of security? In this case, I don't think so. I am not allowing it to extend Dive plans or profiles.

Until a buddy earns my trust, I rely 100% on self rescue.

Ummm. I don't think that sharks follow a logic tree to figure out what tastes better, a well marbled human or a lean human. I expect that sharks chomp the first thing that gets in their mouf.

"Marbled human". ... that's awesome! Might have to borrow that one. ...it surely applies to me. :)

No worries about GW in the NE for me, I only dive in 100’ plus and 79* or higher temps :)

I know of at least three confirmed GWS sightings with video, off the coast of SW Fla in the last few years.

My false sense of security is to do the same dice I do normally. Nothing can go wrong as I know my local diving spot.
Not that I cut corners but if i was enclines to do t that would be the time.
So familiarity is it for me

I get where he's coming from. New England gives me the creeps, too. I saw Jaws at the drive-in movies in my mom's station wagon with my family and friends when I was a kid. I can't help hear the, "Da-dum. Da-dum. Da-dum da-dum da-dum da-dum daaaaaaaa ..." when I'm submerging to Cape Cod style homes and murky salt water.

Of course many of the underwater segments in "Jaws" were filmed just two miles from my marine biology lab on Catalina. Ever wonder why giant kelp was present in New England waters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom