Family Fun: dive vacation with children

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adpfam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for good ideas on where to go with a 10 year old boy ( who doesnt dive yet ) march april .my wife and I both are avid divers and no longer can leave our ten year old behind ( guilt) looking for family vaction for two weeks and do a least 2 dives per day and be comfortable that our son is well taken care while we are blowing bubbles , we tend to like smaller resorts but its not nessary . any input from anybody willing to share their experiences is gladly apprieciated

Thanks Allan

Your child would probably be happy at one of the Kids Clubs at a large resort, most small resorts don't have them.
You didn't mention a budget, but I will give you some suggestions:

Cozumel - lots of options with Kids Clubs (Fiesta Americana, Iberostar, Occidental Grand, Allegro...)
Playa del Carmen - some options with Kids Clubs (Dreams Puerto Aventuras, Reef Playacar)
Roatan - Fantasy Island and Anthony's Key both have Kids Clubs, FI is more a budget place, AK is nicer with more activities like dolphin encounters your son might like

you can also check with some of the Dive Travel agencies: Island Dreams, Caradonna, and Bay Adventures for example, who will have a list of dive resorts with Kids Clubs.

robin:D

RobinT gives well studied and good advice, as always.

I'll go ya' one further....

Instead of "child care", why not indoctrinate the 10 year old into a sport that you obviously like? Find an operation that offers snorkel instruction & guided snorkeling activities? A place that concentrates on this (versus just a day-care deal with some water play) and has a viable house reef for easy access.

A snorkeling ten year old with a reef creature ID book is a wonderful thing.

It might cost a little more than a babysitter, but think of the future!

My daughter got certified at age 10 and has enjoyed diving ever since then. In the past 4 years she has gotten several advanced certifications and is a very proficient diver. Why not select a resort that offers him the opportunity to obtain his Jr. OW certification while you and your wife dive together. I would think all of you would have a good time on vacation and would be able to enjoy diving together by the end of your vacation. By getting my daughter certified we have been able to travel through out the world diving in places such as Egypt, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Thailand, Belize, Honduras and the Cayman Islands.

Another option is to take a cruise with stops in great dive locations. While you and your wife are diving he can spend his time the kids camp on-board the ship.

RobinT gives well studied and good advice, as always.

I'll go ya' one further....

Instead of "child care", why not indoctrinate the 10 year old into a sport that you obviously like? Find an operation that offers snorkel instruction & guided snorkeling activities? A place that concentrates on this (versus just a day-care deal with some water play) and has a viable house reef for easy access.

A snorkeling ten year old with a reef creature ID book is a wonderful thing.

It might cost a little more than a babysitter, but think of the future!

one place that i would really want to take him is cocoview , but they are not exactly keen on ten year olds , AKR would be a possability except their camps dont start till later in the year

If you willing to take long flight to Indonesia :), my suggestion will Bali and/or Bunaken.

Bunaken has some family friendly resort/hotel such as Santika or Tasik Ria that has swimming pool, game tables at the lobby and you can easily visit the city for tour, white water rafting, horseback riding or dinner just for dinner.

Or if you would like combination of white sandy beach island escape with touristic place you can also combine Siladen Island (an island just next to Bunaken) that has same facilities for family and Bali that has great diving and on the same time almost everything that you can think about family activities.

Hopefully you find this helpful.

Your child would probably be happy at one of the Kids Clubs at a large resort, most small resorts don't have them. robin:D

Just make sure you check with the individual resorts as to whether parents are required to be on site at the resort while the child is in the Kids Club. Some resorts will not let you leave your child while you are off property.

Why not try out Key Largo FL> not a very far trip and your child can learn to dive at 10 while you two go out to dive or better yet you can have them do there pool work and academics before you arrive at your home then they can go out on the boat with you.
Check out Amoray dive resort, the keys also have so many other things to see and do:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom