Family holiday with some sneaky diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for help here,

My wife has finally reached her patience threshold with me going to the Philippines every year for diving holidays.

The ultimatum is that next year I have to take her and our two girls somewhere in SE Asia for a genuine family holiday. She likes beaches, as do the kids, but I'm the only diver.

Anyway, I have managed to hold out for a compromise. She gets 4-5 stars acommodation and someone to massage her back, smear weird sounding concoctions on her face and generally pamper her. I look after the kids until she's done, and then...I CAN GO DIVING :D .

Result, I'm after a location with good accommodation and very good diving. Not too bothered about cost, but not after the absolute top-end.

Any suggestions? I'm tyhinking Malaysia / Indonesia as travel from Hong Kong is quite convenient.

Thanks in advance...

Bring your gear to the beach. Thats what I do. The kids snorkel the top and I dive beneath them. Its pretty cool and the wife can read her novel while we're having fun.

With a family in tow, I would recommend Bali or Phuket? Alternative would be Kota Kinabalu (direct flight from HK) but the diving isn't so great around KK, but you've got some OK resorts (reasonably priced) around there (Shangri La, etc).

Mataking Malaysia is quite luxurious with snorkeling above and diving below.

Bali is also very very luxurious and probably quite cheap now.

Thanks guys,

Haven't heard much good about Bali diving, maybe listened to the wrong people. Either way, I'm not comfortable with Bali as a prospect, not because of the problems (although I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind...), but because it's more touristy than what I'm really after.

Sorry if I sound snobbish, but I'm really looking for the quiet getaway. It's going to be our first 'big' holiday together, so I've got no problem with paying quite a bit as long as it's private, the wife gets her spa & I get some good diving. Oh, and the kids get a nice white beach...

I'd even consider the Maldives, I've been before (17 years ago!), anyone know what rates are like now? Now that might be beyond my range...

Cheers,

pakman:
With a family in tow, I would recommend Bali or Phuket? Alternative would be Kota Kinabalu (direct flight from HK) but the diving isn't so great around KK, but you've got some OK resorts (reasonably priced) around there (Shangri La, etc).

I would agree with Bali or Phuket. Not a big fan of KK myself.

How about something on the east coast of malaysia? I'd recommend Redang or Perhentians. I've always done it on the relative cheap but there are upscale accommodations available as well.

Kuta of Bali is very touristy, but out in the remote places like Nusa Lembongan, Pemuteran, Menjangan... it is very nice.

For example Pemuteran, there are nice big luxurious villas, horse back riding, diving, spas... no beach vendors. Depending on your splurge factor can also be very secluded.

Maldives is also not bad, but I did not find the diving that impressive. Lots of top side activity, but your are stuck on one tiny island.

thepurplehammerhead:
Thanks guys,

I'd even consider the Maldives, I've been before (17 years ago!), anyone know what rates are like now? Now that might be beyond my range...

Cheers,

I was thinking of mentioning Maldives but I thought the distance and travel time wasn't what you were looking for. Anyways, had an HK based Aussie friend who was out there earlier this year with his wife. They did a liveaboard. As mentioned by other post, you might be limited if you stay on one resort/island.

As for East Coast Malaysia, isn't it the wrong season now for that side?

Just thinking, if a Maldives trip style budget or the flight time isn't an issue, you might consider something along the Great Barrier Reef? Maybe around Port Douglas? If you really wanna splurge ($$$$) for the family, try Lizard Island Resort... Or even Fiji???

Thinking about it, I should add some prospective dates for this trip & some more details.

I'll be going mid-next year for about 10 days, so a full day's travelling ain't going to kill us at either end. As for travelling with kids, they're 7 and 5 and no trouble at all.

If I can find the right white sand beach, resort and some 'big fish' diving through your help, well my eternal gratitude will be yours...

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom