Family holiday with some sneaky diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is from a previous post, it may help you with you decision.

Congrats, We just moved back to the US from Thailand on Thursday. The diving and people are wonderful. The Similan Islands had about 30% of their reefs destroyed by the Tsunami, but even diving the destroyed reefs are very interesting, by far the best diving in Thailand. They are rite about the live aboards not being available during monsoon season. But depending on the date of your trip, Scuba Cat is the most bang for your buck, but Mermaids has a nicer boat. If you are looking for luxury, there is a pretty new boat out of Japan that Rocks.

For diving around Phuket, my favorite is West Coast Divers, hands down 76-34-1673. They are a little more expensive, ($5 us a day), but may work with you if you book a few days of diving. The food is great, boats are nice and the staff is all cool. If you need equpment, they have nice stuff. (With the exception of one guy who is constantly hitting on all the women) West Coast leaves from Chalong Pier which is close to Phuket Town. My favorite dive sites are Shark Point, Anemone Reef & King Cruser. Koh Dok Mai is a fun wall dive if the current is not too strong.

All 4 Diving is the best equipped dive shop on the Island 76-34-46-11.

Speaking of currents, they tend to be stronger in Thailand then say Florida and Mexico, but bye no means are not bad.

Don’t waist too much time diving in the Gulf, it does not compare with the rest of Thailand. If you do dive the Gulf, Mermaids in Pattya has a great reputation. A lot of folks like Ko Tao… but it didn’t do much for me.

As far as accommodations go… On Phuket, I like Kata Noi Beach(Three beaches south of Patong) it has good shore dives and is very quiet and up scale. The Kata Thani 76-33-0124-26. It is about $100-120 a night, but very nice. There is a dive stor directly across the street that can hook you up with tanks. Kata beach is more dangerous to swim on during monsoon season.

Patong is the place to stay if you want to party with the Bar Girls all night. The only hotel that I have stayed at was the Aloha Villa or Village. It is neat because it is at the entrance to Soi Bangla (The party street) but not on Bangla.

Phuket Town is great because everything is cheaper and more local. Joe Mansion 76-23-0145 is the best deal in Phuket Town at a little less than $200 a month, or about $12 a day, and there is a photo lab next to it (Same Owner) to print your digital photos. Joe Mansion is in the Middle of Phuket town across from the Mertopole (A five star). And also about a three minuete walk to the large Shopping mall and the midnight market in Phuket town. (If you like girls there are about 15 bars/massage parlors within 5 min. of walking)

Another good place to stay in Phuket Town is the Crystal Inn 76-25-67-89 at about $20 a night. They have the best internet café in Phuket town and are on the same street as Joe Mansion and the Shopping Mall. Taxis in Phuket are much more expensive then the rest of Thailand. A taxi from Phuket Town to Patong Beach is almost $8 dollars. (300-400 baht)

Be sure to visit Da Jam and Music Matters in Phuket Town… They are the Ex-Pats hang out of Phuket Town. Zanzibar at the Royal Phuket Orchid is also a fun bar in Phuket Town. The band that plays on Monday Night played at my wedding and rocks. The Picasso Band plays the rest of the week. Kurt is the lead singer and on of the nicest people you will ever meet. He is an attorney and always smiling.

If you make it to Pang Na (about a two hour bus ride from phuket) stay at the Simulana Nature Resort in one of the Bungalows at $30 a night. The Simulina is about 8 kilometers north of Koa Lak and had minimal (Compared to the rest of Kao Lak wich was destroyed by the Tsunami) damage. Ask for Bungalow #1, it has the best view of the Ocean. But if you can’t get it don’t worry, all the Bungalows are supper nice. Try to make it to the Simulina…. It is Awosome. It would be a good place to go after a live aboard in the Simulans. It is on;y about an hour bus ride from were you catch a ferry boat for the Simulans.

If you have time stop at some of the camps for people who lost their houses from the Tsunami and buy some crafts. Camp Pak Wep is across from the Entrance to the Simulina Nature Resort. (Be careful there is also a Simulina Hotel in Koa Lak that is different than the Simulina Nature Resort.

Be sure to dive the the Similan Islands http://www.phuket.com/island/similans.htm It is great. They have small cabins that you can stay in or do a live aboard. The sand is like flower.

IN PHUKET BE SURE TO EAT AT BA RIM PAA JUST NORTH OF PATONG BEACH. BET THEIR AT LEAST 30 Min BEFORE SUNSET. It is my favorite place to eat in the world hands down.

I also lived in Bangkok if you need to know anything about Bangkok.

Three final thoughts…. Leaving the Phuket airport, you can take a shuttle instead of a Taxi, it works out well and is about $2.50.

Just a thought about traveling in Thailand, if you enjoy going local, just buy a round trip on China Arilines for under $750.00 and take care of the details yourself.

Finally, Thailand is in a small civil war as we speak, there are Muslim terrorist bombing almost every day in southern Thailand, some times as many as three or four a day. (South of Phuket) Americans are not the targets, but it is still an issue. They found an unexploded bomb (C4) less than a mile form my house in March. Despite that, Thailand is still one of the safest places you can be in the world. Americans are not a target and the fighting is all south… Close to the Malaysia border. The most common bomb they are using are fire extinguishers with cell phone detonators, so keep your eyes open. Also they bombed a southern airport with four bombs in April. Once again, we are not the target and I would not tell anyone not to go to Thailand, just keep your eyes open please. If you enjoy going extreme, also becareful if you are in the jungle close (within 30 kilometers) of the Burma border.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom