Family holiday with some sneaky diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it would definitely be Bali. Book yourself a villa. Your family can go on a day tour while u go out diving.

Frankly, where can u get great macro, probable mola mola and manta sightings, world class wrecks, first class top side attraction and culture, as well as great food and shopping all rolled into one?

for something remote, u can google for Gangga island resort and Odessey Divers in Manado.

They have spa for your Mrs.

Eric

Big fish... you're my kind of diver... I'm in the same boat... getting tired of all the macro stuff... :wink: As much as I love the amazing variety of macro life in Asia, I've got the yearning for the big stuff too lately... The problem for you I think is finding that combination of a white sand beach with a nice resort/spa for the family but with world class diving right in front... Mid year, hmm... trying to think of what is in season out in Asia... How about palau for the big stuff... not sure how the beaches are. I think I heard from friends that the Pan Pacific hotel has a nice beach in front. Plus there are now direct flights from Hong Kong... But the dive trips from land will be time consuming and all day events.

Gangaa island in front of Manado: a maldivian island in sulawesi. Everything you need and she wants. Great beach; greatr diving.

Actually, the Gangga island idea is a good one. Lots of non-divers go there just for the spa and relaxed atmosphere but it's close to Bunakan and Lembeh but also has great diving at its doorstep. http://www.ganggaisland.com/en/resort.html

Zippsy:
Actually, the Gangga island idea is a good one. Lots of non-divers go there just for the spa and relaxed atmosphere but it's close to Bunakan and Lembeh but also has great diving at its doorstep. http://www.ganggaisland.com/en/resort.html

Just had a look at the site - damn that place looks great! Exactly what I'm after - world class setting, other activites to excite the kids, a bit of a rustic feel, all mod cons for the beloved ball and chain and splendid diving to boot!

Still considering any other suggestions, but this is right at the top of the list so far.

Thanks a lot Hallboy & Zippsy you're stars:D

thepurplehammerhead:
Thanks a lot Hallboy & Zippsy you're stars:D
Actually kthan wins the prize for the first mention :wink:

Zippsy:
Actually kthan wins the prize for the first mention :wink:

Absolutely right - thanks to kthan too...

:god:

thepurplehammerhead:
Thanks guys,

Haven't heard much good about Bali diving, maybe listened to the wrong people. Either way, I'm not comfortable with Bali as a prospect, not because of the problems (although I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind...), but because it's more touristy than what I'm really after.

Sorry if I sound snobbish, but I'm really looking for the quiet getaway. It's going to be our first 'big' holiday together, so I've got no problem with paying quite a bit as long as it's private, the wife gets her spa & I get some good diving. Oh, and the kids get a nice white beach...

I'd even consider the Maldives, I've been before (17 years ago!), anyone know what rates are like now? Now that might be beyond my range...

Cheers,
try this www.clubparadisepalawan.com. Its a high end resort on a remote island with complete amenities. White sands, friendly staff, good food, big rooms, nice sunset, the works. And while the hubby and kids are snorkling or sunbathing you can dive a world war II wreck and even do Apo reef! We been there two (2) straight years now.

Thanks for the tip, but my wife wants to get away from the Philippines as a destination altogether. She hasn't really travelled all that much and wants to see a bit more of the world - fair enough.

As for Club Paradise, I actually stayed there for a night in October 2003 after a vist to Apo reef. I was doing a liveaboard bangka boat with a guide out of Coron and met the resort manager (Wolfgang, I think...) the night before leaving for Apo. He recommended that our bangka could pull up on their beach and I could join him for a beer. Ended up having several and staying the night:D !!!!!

Anyway, anybody else considering a high-end Phils holiday with diving would be well-served by Club Paradise - great place (you didn't mention the resident dugongs - are they still around?)

Regards,

Larry

Spoke to the Manager at Gangga N Sulawesi last week. He has many years experience managing international hotels in Europe. You would therefore expect him to understand the needs of non-divers. He is personally very proud of Gangga - you would expect personalised service.

Travelling in that area - would you be going via Singapore? Or anywhere else that is worth a stop over? Not sure how old your kids are but even little ones would enjoy Sentosa, the Zoo etc and the city would be a wow with the missus.

Back
Top Bottom