familyman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys and gals new to forum and throwing some posts out around here.I'am not really proud about some of my solo diving.Most of all because I have a family and regret the risks I took looking hindsite. All of my solo diving means solo, launch my boat ,motor out to spot ,throw anchor and go dive . Night solo lobstering diving , not so bad but it is really good on this old wreck not too deep only 80 ft. Well it is the same as 180ft. if you are stuck in a hole 90% angle mask and regulator knocked off. A buddy really could not help in that situation .Flooding my primary light the week before and using a little back up light is not smart and it put me right there in that metal scrap hole.I guess solo deco diving out in the shipping lanes is not very popular either. Bottom line I would do all of this again if not for my family. thanks have a nice new year

Hey guys and gals new to forum and throwing some posts out around here.I'am not really proud about some of my solo diving.Most of all because I have a family and regret the risks I took looking hindsite. All of my solo diving means solo, launch my boat ,motor out to spot ,throw anchor and go dive . Night solo lobstering diving , not so bad but it is really good on this old wreck not too deep only 80 ft. Well it is the same as 180ft. if you are stuck in a hole 90% angle mask and regulator knocked off. A buddy really could not help in that situation .Flooding my primary light the week before and using a little back up light is not smart and it put me right there in that metal scrap hole.I guess solo deco diving out in the shipping lanes is not very popular either. Bottom line I would do all of this again if not for my family. thanks have a nice new year

To me a bit of false logic. If we let family responsibility control our existence then there would be no police officers, firefighters, test pilots, or Alaska crab fishermen. All have the potential to be fatal occupational choices.

Does participating in a potentially fatal activity for monetary reward (job) or doing it for recreation lessen the impact of death on the family.

I think not, but not participating in what we enjoy in life can have the effect of producing resentment against the controlling factor (family) even if the decision not to participate was voluntary.

yeah life is risk, its just that conscientious men... Family men if you will, Mitigate those risks to the best of their ability... and then fate does the rest.

We all have our precautionary tales.

My father was a good man who worked hard to support his family. His "passion" was driving. He loved his cars. My mother, however, hated travelling so he put his wanderlust on the shelf for the most part. Often he would tell me that, when he retired, he was going to buy a big RV and travel North America. In his mid 50's he developed kidney failure and spent the last 6 years sick before he died.

He taught me an important lesson about living. Mostly that we are all taking a risk, no matter what we are doing.

Does participating in a potentially fatal activity for monetary reward (job) or doing it for recreation lessen the impact of death on the family.

I think a line-of-duty death mitigates the loss somewhat.

I am an avid motorcyclist, and have lost fellow riders and seen the effect of that loss on their families. I am a professional firefighter, and have lost co-workers and seen the effects of that loss on families too.

In the latter case, the death is seen to have a purpose; there is monetary compensation to replace the wage loss; there is a strong support group to help the family grieve and move on with life.

Don't get me wrong -- the loss of any family member (nevermind the principle wage earner) will be keenly felt, but a mass of thousands packing the churchyard makes for one hell of a support group.

I think a line-of-duty death mitigates the loss somewhat.

I am an avid motorcyclist, and have lost fellow riders and seen the effect of that loss on their families. I am a professional firefighter, and have lost co-workers and seen the effects of that loss on families too.

In the latter case, the death is seen to have a purpose; there is monetary compensation to replace the wage loss; there is a strong support group to help the family grieve and move on with life.

Don't get me wrong -- the loss of any family member (nevermind the principle wage earner) will be keenly felt, but a mass of thousands packing the churchyard makes for one hell of a support group.

Not my point, point is in either case it is a choise. Would familyman chose to be a firefigher but not be a solo diver.

Does this conversation take for granted that solo diving is more dangerous than buddy diving? I'm afraid I don't accept that... although I do acknowledge that there are some instances where a buddy could be a life saving accessory. On the other hand, in most cases, most white knuckle moments I have had in 35 years of diving were the result of someone else's actions!

For what it's worth, I never dive without someone tending my boat... I guess I'm more afraid of loosing my boat than I am "buying it" while diving!

I think that in many cases, "diving" like any other activity that you are passionate about can cause havoc on "family life". Most of my diving friends are divorced, as was I. I won't say that my addiction to this sport was the cause of a failed marriage, but it was sure a factor.

Mrs. Stoo v.2.0 was aware of my habits when she signed on and, while I don't think I can honestly say that she approves of my solo diving, she does accept it... and in so doing, tends to be the aforementioned boat tender!

You should not solo dive.

N

Why not mitigate the risks?

Get a boat tender.

Get a better backup light.

Stay out holes where you might get stuck.

Solo diving doesn't define the risk ... how you choose to solo dive does.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom