Fan with hose - drying CCR loop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My CCR loop retains a lot of water even after I've squeezed it out accordion style and hang it up from the middle. Days or even weeks later I can squeeze more water out of the loop. Humidity and static water's not good for bacterial growth.

Was thinking about a gentle fan connected to a hose which would connect to the loop -- rubber bung? -- and would be switched on for a couple or four hours to evaporate what's left. Mustn't be too strong as the mushroom valves could distort.

Can anyone think of an off-the-shelf bit of kit that might fit the bill?

My CCR loop retains a lot of water even after I've squeezed it out accordion style and hang it up from the middle. Days or even weeks later I can squeeze more water out of the loop. Humidity and static water's not good for bacterial growth.

Was thinking about a gentle fan connected to a hose which would connect to the loop -- rubber bung? -- and would be switched on for a couple or four hours to evaporate what's left. Mustn't be too strong as the mushroom valves could distort.

Can anyone think of an off-the-shelf bit of kit that might fit the bill?
Not off the shelf, but a small computer fan and a PCC coupling would probably do the trick.

Meant to say PVC coupling

I helped friends build dryers for their CCRs. One started with a 120mm x 25mm AC muffin fan so no power supply was required. Another guy converted an old vacuum cleaner. The biggest hassle was finding a way to connect them to the hoses and bags because the CCR fittings are expensive and hard to get.

We found some thin wall hose made for sewage discharge pumps that fit over the fittings and used stainless hose clamps that were gently tightened over the fittings on the CCR parts. The seal didn't need to be perfect.

The fans discharged into thin wall PVC manifold with tees for each CCR part and mounted high enough so the hoses and bangs hung below. The version made from a vacuum cleaner worked well but was noisy. AFAIK, they are both still working.

It is a good idea to plug it into a GFCI receptacle even though water is downstream and downhill from the electrical bits.

Edit: You might find some useful ideas in this thread:

I’ve been using an air mattress pump to help the counter lungs on my Choptima dry. I want to switch to a boot dryer to add a little bit of heat but the concept should be the same.
1C9CF299-89D5-4AD3-8C37-381CF9EB4EE0.jpeg

I just hang my hoses vertically and place a typical occilating desk fan on a shelf next to my drying station. This works great on hoses, drysuits, and all my other gear. After 24 hours or less everything is dry.

I just hang my hoses vertically and place a typical occilating desk fan on a shelf next to my drying station. This works great on hoses, drysuits, and all my other gear. After 24 hours or less everything is dry.
D'oh. That seems like the simplest idea. Could point a fan straight at the bottom of the hanging hoses and there'd be enough air circulating to dry it out.

Maybe I'll look at building (bending) a hanger from a stick with a computer fan at the bottom pointing up at the hose ends -- the mouthpiece at the top. Prefer a small computer fan driven from a USB charger. There's lots of USB desk fans which use a large clip that would work nicely.

Being a Revo, the lungs just dry naturally if the back's off.

It was the boot drier which started the thought.

Edit: didn't realise boot driers was a thing - loads on Amazon!

I've been doing similar to what @davehicks listed above for about 2 years, works great. At 1st I used a small $20 more powerful oscillating fan, now I just use a small usb fan sitting on the floor below. Hose, and counterlung if need be, are hung up above and fan just points in the general direction to create pressure differentials. Everything typically dries overnight. If it makes any difference I hang my hose straight up down. Water drips past mushroom valves fine. (JJ CCR).

@Wibble , most times I use one of these I got on clearance locally for $5. Sometimes I'll use a larger 8" usb desk fan on low speed. Couldn't find a link for that one. It was around $15.

The fan doesn't need to force air through the hose. Pointing it at a angle across the opening will create pressure differentials that will cause air to pulse through. Stick a straw in a glass of water and blow across the top of the straw while watching the water level in the straw to get an idea. Hope that makes sense.:)

Honeywell HTF090B Turbo on the Go Personal Fan, Black – Small, Portable Fan

Back
Top Bottom