Fancy Bristle Worm... but what species??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This one was taken by boljakool & posted over in the Philippine Paradise Divers photo thread...
boljakool:
caterpillar-2post.jpg

about 3 inches long, looks like and crawls like a caterpillar.
Leslie... Help!
:)
Rick

Hi Rick -- It's a fireworm, family Amphinomidae, genus Chloeia. I haven't been able to determine if the species has already been described or not. That characteristic pigment pattern on the back probably fades away once the animal is dead. Without the pattern it's nearly impossible to match a picture to a species description as most of the characters needed for id are microscopic.

hmmm...maybe i should try to learn more and describe it... and have it named?

hmmm...maybe i should try to learn more and describe it... and have it named?
It sure looks like it :)
Here's one that seems close in appearance... but you could well have your very own species here!
Rick

Nearly all marine animals have been described from dead, colorless animals. Until I can examine a specimen I don't know if it's already described but the color pattern is unknown or if the animal really is undescribed.

Incidentally, describers don't name species after themselves. They can give a descriptive name (like "maculata", latin for spotted), geographically ("californica" for something caught off California) or an honorific ("jonesi" in honor of friend Jones).

...Incidentally, describers don't name species after themselves...
A bit of Linnaeus' legacy, eh? But it's perfectly acceptable to name it afer your Aunt Betty :)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom