Farmer John vs. Full Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongere

Registered
Reaction score
I may have to break down and by a 6mm suit if my transfer request to Hawaii doesn't come through. Anyway, any comments on Farmer John style vs. full wet suit? Diving in Puget Sound, I have rented a full suit. It is darned uncomfortable getting in, getting out and moving around, BUT it does do the job.

We can't afford dry suits and intend to do most of our diving in tropical areas anyway.

I am also somewhat claustrophobic when it comes to suits so the easier it is to get off the better off I am. I can't stand the wet suit hood so I bought a Harvey's Titanium dry suit hood and cut the facial area to fit and it works great.

Any/all comments appreciated (especially if it includes a job in Hawaii or French Polynesia)!

Don't give in.
Work harder on the Dry Suit option. Check TLSea in Kent for a drysuit class, rental, and a good price. Don't spend a lot of money on the underwear. Maulden Mills has a Seattle outlet for PolarTech. I made my own underwear, saved a ton. Also Bubbles Below in Woodinville. Whidbey Island Dive Center has rental/lease to own option. Sometimes you favorite LDS is not the best one to solve your problem. You have a lot of choices. ( also a weekend drive to Canada shopping )
OK if you gotta go wetsuit the Farmer John will be a lot warmer and the problem in Puget Sound is cold. I can't hack the cold.

good luck don O

One advantage to a fullsuit is that in colder waters a shortie can be worn over it for even more insulation. Check out Bare. I was thinking about their 7mm extreme fullsuit with the Arctic Vest.
If you do go with Bare. The suits I mentioned are available through Leisure-Pro at much lower prices than a dealer.

After my last freshwater dives :cold: I think I might just hold out until I can afford a drysuit.

Tavi

Myself, I like to farmer john/LS top 2 piece. It gives me the most flexability, I can wear both pieces to give me the max protection (I have a 7mm so I end up with 7mm on arms and legs and 14mm in the body area) or I can wear either piece as necessary. Whatever you decide on, get one that fits you well as a correct fit is as important as thickness.

I live in the great white north and have done 24 dives on a 7mm 2pc Dacor wetsuit. It gives lots of room to move and keeps me really warm. This nice thing about my suit is that it has zippers at the ankle so getting my feet into and out of the suit is alot easier. I just got dry suit certified and understand how expensive drysuits can be. But definitaly a 7mm or even 6mm 2pc will do the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom