Farmer John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pros: Warmer. You have twice the thickness around your core, where you need it.

Cons: Longer to don. More buoyant.

Another pro, flexibility.
I used to use one (back when I needed such things), adding different jackets and shortie FJs' makes for a very temperature flexible system.

Should I get too warm I can zip down the jacket and cool off.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I quit the farmer john due to the buoyancy issues. I liked the warmth, but the change in buoyancy with regards to the change of depth made it a royal PITA to dive.

As it has been said, the Farmer is warmer but you have more of a buoyancy shift to deal with. But, My jacket is a step in type and I use it as a shorty off of North Carolina in the summer. I have been inside of a bunch of wrecks this way, but I would have a rash guard on to keep from getting scratched on my lags. I have been seen inside of the USS Tarpon with my jacket and a $10 pair of painters paints acting as the rash guard.

Pros=Warmth, cons: buoyancy i.e need more lead to sink. I use a two pice farmer John for local diving as it gets pretty chilly, I like it, would prefer a drysuit though lol...

[INLINE][/INLINE]
What temperatures is it adequate for?

That's a little difficult to answer as different people have different tolerances to temperature. I feel the cold and am good in my 2 piece hooded FJ down to around 17 degrees after that I start to get rather cold rather quickly. I also wear a full 5mm in the tropics, Thailand and Indonesia for example and am comfortable. Nothing ruins a dive more than being cold, better to be too warm at least you can flush some water through your suit, not much you can do if you're cold.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom