Farming vs. Wild (split from Seal Slaughter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fish farming can be very harmful to the environment. Might even be more harmful than drag net and gill net. I can not say that seal hunting is as disruptive as fish or shrimp farming.

Fish farming can be very harmful to the environment. Might even be more harmful than drag net and gill net. I can not say that seal hunting is as disruptive as fish or shrimp farming.

Yeah...and lets eat wild turkey on Thanksgiving and Xmas. Wouldn't want to eat farmed turkey.
How long do you think it would take to decimate the wild turkey stocks??

People who are opposed to farming should really give their head a shake...the wild fish stocks are not sustainable at the rate we are harvesting.

Do your own research, walk on a fish farm, ask the questions and dont let the enviro-groups that make $ off of bad press make up your mind for you.
I know a lot of aquaculturalists and they are some of the most enviro-conscious people I know. They hold themselves and their products and the environment around them to very high standards.

you are both right. but you cant compare land farming to let's say salmon farming. One is contained and the other is directly related to the surrounding environment.

you are both right. but you cant compare land farming to let's say salmon farming. One is contained and the other is directly related to the surrounding environment.

Why?...

salmonfarm01.jpg

FFarm.jpg

Problems associated with open-net-cage salmon farming include:

Sea lice and disease from farmed salmon threaten wild stocks.
Pollution from farms contaminates surrounding waters.
Drugs, including antibiotics, are required to keep farmed fish healthy.
Escapes of farmed fish (alien species) threaten native wild fish.
Net loss: Farmed fish are fed pellets made from other fish, depleting other fish species on a global scale.

(that's a cut and paste from the David Suzuki foundation btw)

David Suzuki Foundation: Open-net-cage fish farming

Yeah...and lets eat wild turkey on Thanksgiving and Xmas. Wouldn't want to eat farmed turkey.
How long do you think it would take to decimate the wild turkey stocks??

People who are opposed to farming should really give their head a shake...the wild fish stocks are not sustainable at the rate we are harvesting.

Do your own research, walk on a fish farm, ask the questions and dont let the enviro-groups that make $ off of bad press make up your mind for you.
I know a lot of aquaculturalists and they are some of the most enviro-conscious people I know. They hold themselves and their products and the environment around them to very high standards.

Aquaculture can be very good for the environment. Or very bad. Shrimp farming devastate mangrove swamps, and releases antibiotics, waste run offs, and removes precious environment for the protection of juvenile fish, birds, and shellfish. In the same way, salmon farming also can introduce disease, antibiotic waste, and cause pollution to river and bays.

You might be correct in saying that catfish and tilipia farming is sustainable. But also remember that the grass carps, which eventually will enter the great lakes, were introduced as part of aquaculture.

You are encouraging the unnatural way of harvesting food. Locking animals up in over crowded pens, eating preprocessed food, and all the while imagining that your supermarket is stocked with "free range additive free chickens".

Again, I'd rather be a wild salmon taking my chances with the fisherman's net, a wild seal taking my chances with hunters, or a wild animal facing nature as it intended. Than to be cooped up in an unsanitary pen suffering until the day I am slaughtered. I eat turkey, beef, pork ... But I don't have qualms about hunters and fishermen. Because I think there is much more that can be done to eliminate animal suffering than worrying about the seal harvest.

These seals suffer no more than a few minutes of pain before their death.

Broiler chickens suffer 8 weeks, beef cattle 2 years, pigs 6 months, and egg laying hens 2 years .... Before they can be slaughtered. Their death maybe "humane", but their life is far from it.

I understand and agree, but there is one thing, the (land) farmer knows that well cared for animals are healthier, gain weight faster, produce more eggs, etc. ... you get better returns on your investment for caring about your stock, than if you dont

I understand and agree, but there is one thing, the (land) farmer knows that well cared for animals are healthier, gain weight faster, produce more eggs, etc. ... you get better returns on your investment for caring about your stock, than if you dont

Actually, you are wrong. The farm industry is a well lubed, finely tuned machine. The small farmer that take personal care of their cows and bed them in clean straw does not stand a chance.

Scientifically they push the limit on pen density, minimum ventilation (to save heat), stacking pens (not a sanitary place, if you are in the bottom bunk), bedding with sand. Disease prevention is done with antibiotics (low dose in feed, or high dose acutely before stressful situation) and vaccinations for shipping fever, etc.

It is very sad. The ones that wins are the megafarmers, where hired help don't know one cow from another, except an ear tag number. Magnets with ID information on their neck telling the feeding bins exactly how much to feed each animals - and the human factor is less of an issue. Computer track the stage of the cows lactation cycle and production, and grain is dispensed based on that information.

The dream farm existed when I was a child. It is only a dream of today's modern farms.

Sad that the regular farmer is so under the gun and can not compete

what about organic foods and animals? more and more people are willing to pay the extra cost and it is becoming more common place (sorry for the thread hijack}

Back
Top Bottom