Fastest Hard Drive To Edit 4k

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

?[/QUOTE] have you considered just swapping out the 500gb spinning rust hard drive for a 500gb or 1TB SSD dedicated to video storage and editing, and retaining the existing 256GB SSD for hosting the OS and everything else?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am going to clone the 5400rpm drive and looking at it now it seems to be the Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb.

Should I put the edit program on my OS SSD drive and my source files ( files to be edited), on the other larger SSD. I plan to have a USB 3 drive for storage I'm just not sure if I can utilize this drive in the work flow loop or if I should just keep it as back up for the original files.

My work flow is something like this:

Get back from dive and download media via SD card slot or directly from camera to external storage. Copy media to internal SSD to be loaded/used into edit program then rendered. My renders have on the past taken hours. Probably because i was doing read and write from that same drive.

So I plan on rendering back to the OS drive ( Thati s my 250 SSD Liteonm3 250gb) The finished projects should be average 3 GB and can be moved to the storage drive afterwards.

So, OS and edit program on C: Drive
Media Material on the Samsung Evo 850 500gb SD
Render back to the OS C: Drive.

Does that sound ok?

here is the before and after speed test results, after changing out Hard Drives in my laptop.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest Hitachi 5400.png
    DiskSpeedTest Hitachi 5400.png
    412.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DiskSpeedTest850 Evo 500gb.png
    DiskSpeedTest850 Evo 500gb.png
    416.4 KB · Views: 121
My work flow is something like this: [...]My renders have on the past taken hours. Probably because i was doing read and write from that same drive.

with platter hard drives, it makes a huge difference when reading and writing to the same drive; backed by SSDs, it'll become entirely compute bound. you'll likely see render times decrease, but it wont be earth shattering.

feel free to render to and from the 850 EVO, it'll just eat it up and ask for more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom