Fatalities from Technical diving-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to do real research, then propose that tech diving either is or is not unsafe, and then attmept to prove your hypothesis.

To do that you'll have to develop a research design where you determine and define the independent and dependent variables, define and operationalize all your terms, develop your measurement criteria in order to confirm or disconfirm your hypothesis. Then you'll need to collect the data and analyze the results. You will also need to review existing research studies in other journals. Info trac offers a subscription service as does the APA which would allow you do search and read articles on-line and print them if desired. There are already extant studies of recreational scuba saftey that would give you a baseline to compare against as well as provide some ideas for research methodolgy.

You could gather data on accident numbers and then try to compare them with participation numbers to determine accident rates, which in diving is easier said than done.

If you choose to study specific predisposing factors, you may want to limit your study to a smaller number of factors such as macho effect and peer pressure rather than a large number of factors that will make definitive conclusions very elusive.

You could also focus on accident analysis and identify factors that place a diver at increased statistical risk for an accident. This is an approach some agencies already use.

In either case, you need to go in objectively and be just as willing to disprove your hypothesis as prove it. Actually, you usually learn more when your theory bombs out than when it is confirmed and it almost always provides the opportunity for much more productive research.

jumbo:
The title is A comprehensive look at Technical Diving, history, current status, and future direction. I should have made that clear.

I guess I left out a question mark out of too far too soon? I apologize for the inconvenience I may have caused. I also believe asking for expert advice is acceptable input for this type of research. And I am not asking you to do my “work” for me but to supplement my search for data. This web site seems to be full of “expert advice” and it seems to be a worthy resource.

A section is dedicated to the human toll of Technical Diving it is not the emphasis or main point of my paper.

Jumbo,

You did create quite a stir. Amazing the difference a little punctuation will make to the way people perceive your words.

Under the terms of your post immediately above, I believe that most of us will be quite willing to help you, now that we see that your intent is of serious nature. The collective mind can certainly answer a lot of your questions. (Sounds almost "science fiction" doesn't it.) We have a lot of references we can direct you to.

Fire away with your questions, mate!

jumbo:
I also believe asking for expert advice is acceptable input for this type of research. And I am not asking you to do my “work” for me but to supplement my search for data. This web site seems to be full of “expert advice” and it seems to be a worthy resource.
Beware the term 'expert' when collecting data from the internet. There is so much BS on the web that you run the risk of discrediting the study before you finish it. There are a lot of self proclaimed experts on this board. Some of them tend to be the most vocal. Then there are the few that everyone here really listens to for advice. Make sure you're talking to the right crowd. That being said, I'm defineatly no expert, but a few who have replied here are a good start. There are a handful of great non-fiction books on tech diving out there. Most of the names mentioned in those books, if still alive, are members of these boards or friends with members. The wealth of knowledge is also stored in the minds and experiences of those who never made the books. Find those, and you'll find a no ego look into the sport/activity.

How do you know there's a tech diver in the group? They'll tell you.

Good luck! Post the final draft on this board and start the most contraversial thread in the history of SB.

jumbo:
If any one knows of reliable sources in order validate that there is a notable fatality rate and very inherent risk in Tech. Diving. recommendations/ input would be greatly appreciated and save me a large portion of time.-

I think this statement was more interesting than the "too far to soon" comment.
It sounds like you only want data that supports your opinion.

If you are serious, I would second mempilot's comment about internet "experts".
Try to find some of the real pioneers of cave & deep wreck diving (most are still alive), and interview them directly. Second hand info over the net is worse than just making up stories yourself.

are you going to compare tech accident statistics to...rec diving, other risk-inherent sports, general population, or ??

Raw data is going to be pretty meaningless without a context to other populations.

jumbo:
I am currently involved in a college research project, in regards to the evolution of Technical diving, too far too soon. And a large portion will be focused on the human toll of Tech. Diving. If any one knows of reliable sources in order validate that there is a notable fatality rate and very inherent risk in Tech. Diving. recommendations/ input would be greatly appreciated and save me a large portion of time.

Input in regards to different training techniques like military, commercial, resort courses, mainstream certification agencies would also be appreciated.

I am really focusing on divers who probably should not be involved in these activities in the first place, with an emphasis of training requirements (to short/to long), physical fitness, age (to old/ young), “macho effect” or peer pressure, too many cert’s, (i.e. patch divers), tech diving for the wrong reasons?, ethical diving practices, (diving in tombs, sacred places, buddy/solo, air or mixed gasses, voodoo gas,)

If y’all have expert advice or advanced knowledge in these areas and know of great references that are not mainstream that would be a great bonus. I am not looking for rudimentary definitions of Technical Diving or information that is any widely known.

Any personal experience with regards to training failure, or if you perhaps fall into one of the above categories your personal insight would be awesome, it would provide direction and maybe point to a solid hypothesis about diving injuries.
I hope my request is not to winded and your input will be seriously considered, again I thank you and appreciate the brother hood that all divers share-

I would suggest starting with Jeff Bozanic, he has gather most of the material on technical dive accidents over the last 20 years. The main problem your going to run into is, What really caused the accident? Was it training, equipment or just a stupid move by the diver?

Contact the NSS-CDS, they can give you Bozanic's e-mail address. I would help, but I really dont have time to write your paper for you.

Good Luck

Maybe you ought to do a bit more study on the Logic and Analysis involved in your Research Methodology. Then have a heart to heart sit down with your Advisor.

From what has been posted here and your response it appears you haven't done the foundation work yet. What is the definition of Technical Diving? Is there really a "...human toll"... By the way your choice of language suggests a preconceived idea that I hope is wrong.

Moving on; have you structured an acceptable way to overcome the lack of centralized, verifiiable data on the subject? There are various agencies and people who have collected data. But, none claim to be complete and their data models are not necessarily compatible.

As has been pointed out in order to ascribe causality you must figure out a way to factor out the deaths and injuries occur due to non-diving factors.

Good luck, it is a worthwhile paper, if done correctly. If not it is a waste of your time and the tree's life.

It can be called what you want. It is still recreational diving regardless of what it is called.

You want expert advice and input on Tehcnical Diving..........start with the professionals in the commercial industry. You may be able to develop some degree of safety standard there. Then, you might consider using some of that data as a benchmark. At that point in time, maybe, just maybe, you might be able to answer some of your questions. i.e. Recreational mixed gas divers V. professional commercial "technical divers".

Regards,

I appreciate all the input that you all have so graciously given. I figured that I would garnish some good information, but not having a panel of academia provide critical analysis of my research methods. Now I just need to run a cost analysis comparing college tuition vs. Scubaboard.com.

But seriously that’s great; as DA Aquamaster put it, being critical of my writing will definitely help me in the future. I have already changed some concepts and tried to focus in on the issues that I should be addressing. Even though it is hard to swallow some of the remarks made in this thread, I realize the importance of all of the remarks made, and hopefully I can store some of those concepts in the back of my head so I don’t make the same mistake twice.

And if Curt Bowen did write my paper; man, that would lock up an A for sure. I just wonder if my prof. could tell the difference.

By reading most of the post made in response to my thread, it is apparent that there is a notable population of highly educated people in the field. I know that the dive industry has a good idea of what kind of customers they trying to serve, but I wonder what the demographics of technical diver’s looks like. I would be curious to know what the age, income, education level, sex, geographic location, and so on. But that sounds like a different thread.

Thanks for your help-

JUMBO

Back
Top Bottom