Fatality at WKP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's any consolation at all, the analysis of Jim's mishap uncovered a defect in my own protocols for bottle drops and I have instituted a change that improves safety in the way we will be doing things in the future.
Rick, thank you, I'm glad to hear that.

I also appreciate you and someone else pointing out that some people and agencies treat switches among bottom gas bottles a little differently then deco bottles. I wasn't aware of that, and hadn't considered that it might be done. Learning that won't necessitate a change in our procedure, but going forward it may mean we should more specifically counter that practice while driving home the point of checking the MOD label each and every time.

Reactions: Jax
I am generalising here so please don’t feel offended. The majority of the incidents in these threads rarely have enough information to conclusively highlight how and why these accidents happen. Generally things are only speculation and guess work. This one of the first I have read that provides a clear view of what happened and provides extremely valuable information/lessons to the rest of the diving community.

It must be awful to relive and describe something so terrible. I appreciate the openness and the willingness to share this information with the rest of the world.

Kind Regards
ajduplessis

Nice post todd, it clears up the dive while in progress, sorry for the team members on a attempt to rescue, it will take time for them to heal there tragic dive. And sounds like you as well being jim's friend.

Happy Diving

Coming from the nuclear field I'm used to very honest and in depth critiques post any incident. Todd, I appreciate your taking the time to post this information in the midst of what, for Jim's family and friends, is an awful tragedy. If any good comes of the loss of this man's life it will be others changing how they do business, and it reminds all of us that no matter how experienced someone is a mistake won't always be caught by one individual -- and thus why the team approach is an integral part of DIR diving. My condolences to Jim's friends and family during their time of grieving.

Michael

The chances are slim to none that cave diving will be in my future, but I will take away lessons from this accident regardless.

The most obvious is, no matter how experienced you are, never let your attention to detail wain. Always learn, improve and be vigilant.

Lisa

Had the team seen the 70 ft bottle at the time of the switch to bottom gas, what would be the plan to end the dive safely?

I'll never find myself in a cave but I am always interested in the protocols.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom