Fatality Horseshoe Bay May 21/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sschlesi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This morning CBC radio reported the body of a SCUBA diver was recovered from the water around 10pm Friday night, north of Horseshoe Bay. There were no more details, and no article on their website yet.

Does anybody know any other details?

I'm on my way to the airport and heard about it on the taxi's radio. I come over here on my blackberry to see if it's anybody we know. News were saying police came to pick up the body on Pasco Rd just north of horseshoe bay. RIP.

Bummer, I have not hear anything either. Has anyone dove this site? I am not familiar with it.

I'm at the gate now. Radio was saying that the surviving buddy dragged the deceased diver to the shore over a very rocky area close to Pasco Rd at around 10pm. The surviving diver then started screaming for help and local residents hearing the commotion called 911. Radio report ended up saying the death is considered accidental.

I'm not familiar with that dive site either. I'm wondering if they got dragged by the current from Copper Cove. From the Vancouver Sun:
Police, the Lower Mainland's Air 1 helicopter unit, B.C. Ambulance and Coast Guard were all called out to respond and it was a Coast Guard vessel that was able to pull the injured diver from the water and transport him to Horseshoe Bay for treatment.
If the Coast Guard had to get him out on a boat it is likely this is no easy access or regular dive site.

I've had my share of late night dives around here, and can only try to imagine facing that kind of experience.

Thanks Slam, ya I thought it was gated also. It could have been private residence that were diving there or visitors of the residence. Don't know. Still sad though.

I've never heard of anyone entering the water from Pasco Rd. But google maps says it is only about 350m from the Ansell access. I have seen divers that started at Ansell surface past several of the houses on Pasco, so it is a good chance that the divers started at Ansell.

I think you're right, Scott. Ansell looks much closer than Copper Cove. Since the radio was mentioning Horseshoe Bay I automatically thought Copper Cove.

Well, one article says that one buddy surfaced, didn't see his pal and then minutes later saw him surface, went to help and found his buddy unconscious. They then say he was on shore yelling for help.

Looks like something happened underwater that caused unconsiousness.

There are neap tides and yesterday wasn't fast at all.

I'm betting ultimately drowning was cause, but what made him end up unconscious? Dunno.

My sympathies to his family.

Back
Top Bottom