Fatality Horseshoe Bay May 21/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense, but this post makes no sense at all. As far as we know Tim wasn't stressed out. He is the one who wanted to go down to retrieve his speargun.

Sorry, looks like I've read it wrong... I've assumed that brother was able to see Tim's pressure gauge during the struggle (why not?)... However, it does not change too much in the situation development... Assuming the air consumption, one of buddies was under a huge stress. Taking right decisions becomes very hard in this situation. IMHO.

You mention that you would go up at 1500 psi and leave your buddy because that's the Rockbottom calculation. That's true but if you are leaving your buddy Rockbottom is not 1500 psi it's 750 psi since you have no buddy to possibly share it with. I'm not saying that the brother shouldn't have gone up. When your air is low you have to go up.

That's strange how you've read my words... I never told that you have to drop your buddy and go up alone. Once ONE of the divers have hit the RB pressure - BOTH divers MUST start making their way to the surface, without ANY questions. There is no such thing as rock bottom gas for ONE diver. And all said above is NOT RELATED to the accident, because they are not DIR-divers. I only mentioned RB, because it's a safe diving practice that helps avoid any misunderstanding, WHEN a dive must be aborted...

What was Tim's level of certification?

That would tell us absolutely nothing although I believe it's mentioned that he is a newer diver (which may tell us something).

Just went through this on another thread. I also thought ( from my recent cert ) that 60ft was a limit with my OW cert. Not the case as it was pointed out to me. Apparently, the depth of 60ft is a suggested / recommended limit, not written in stone as I thought. Going deeper than 60ft does not break any rules of certification, maybe experience, yes.

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
We had Tims memorial on monday, turned out great, as soon as I get info I will post. Tims father said I would be the first to receive the report and I will share with you all.

Please feel free to visit timgrant.ca

Regards
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom