Fatality off Pensacola - Read and learn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"My computer started showing too rapid ascent at about 67 feet, so I made us stop for about a minute. We then ascended again to within 20 feet of surface. My gauge (an analog) showed 0 psi, which I showed to DIVER. He apparently had been rapidly consuming air, which should have been enough for both of us to safely go to the surface, including a safety stop. I pointed to my octopus, to him, and then the surface and he handed me the octopus and ascended rapidly to the surface. I am not sure if he put his own regulator back in his mouth; there should have been enough air in his tank to breath since we were now shallow. I don’t recall if I saw him blowing bubbles during the ascent.

I stayed down and finished my safety stop (computer said 3 min, indicating our ascent to 20 feet was within guidelines). From my position below him, he seemed to be acting normal on the surface. He turned himself on his back and started fining. I followed underwater thinking he was headed toward the boat. Near the end of my safety stop, he quit moving"

So to clarify, the donor's gauge was reading 0 psi, but he still had enough gas left to complete his saftey stop?

My interpretation from reading the account is:

• the donor's gauge read 0 psi
  • he showed the gauge to DIVER
  • DIVER handed back the donor's octopus to the donor
  • DIVER initiated a free swimming ascent

All the best, James

That's what I got too... not the first time someone's gauge has read 0 and still had air - better than the other way around

Sounds like the air share started at 700psi/80' - another case for Rock Bottom

OK. I am posting this at the request of the buddy of the deceased diver:

Barry, a friend indicated you had a scuba board post regarding the dive tragedy Saturday. I was the diver giving buddy breathing and part of the group giving CPR and transport.

Could you post the version below, which is accurate to the best of our ability to remember these terrible events. I included the affidavit I gave to the Coast Guard, edited without names to protect his family. Please confirm receipt, as I am unsure if I have your current email address.

Thank you for providing the notification to the diving community, and also protecting his family from hearing anything negative about his diving safety.
sincerely,
(Name removed by me)

I wanted to share a terrible event that happened Saturday with our friends, family, and fellow divers. We lost a diver, who died Saturday night. This record is also being used as my affidavit provided to the US Coast Guard, along with my dive profile. I have removed any names of divers to protect his family.

Affidavit of XXXXX
RE: Events of April 9, 2011 resulting in diver death

We started an incredible dive Saturday morning with 6 divers, and a bubble watcher. We all went down together with the plan to stay together. We were diving in 102 feet of water on natural bottom in the Gulf of Mexico off of Pensacola Beach, about a 45 min boat ride from the Shoreline boat dock. Divers had either 80 or 95 cu tanks, with enriched air Nitrox between 30 and 36%. Visibility was good, maybe 30 feet. I was diving a 95 cu. steel tank, 2900 psi, with 36% nitrox. My dive computer showed temperature was 64 F, max depth 102 feet, and 35 min dive time.

I swam away from our group chasing a red grouper, which I shot. I was surprised when DIVER came next to me and helped me get the spear out of my fish (I assumed he was with the group). My plan was to return and find the group, but instead I followed DIVER, who appeared to be vigorously looking for lobsters under the bottom ledge. We swam farther away from the boat along a natural break in the bottom. At about 1100 psi, I grabbed DIVER and signaled we needed to head back. He nodded and followed. After a minute or two I looked back and he was in the distance fishing again.

I grabbed him again and we started back. My gauge was showing about 700 psi, so I signaled we needed to start ascending, which we did. He showed me his gauge somewhere about 80 feet, indicating he was low or out of air. I could not read his air gauge which puzzled me (later realized his gauge is all red and black from 0 to 1000 psi, even the arrow is black, making it difficult to see in low light..i.e., it all looks black when you are deep). I did not think to use my flashlight, and instead just shrugged and handed him my octopus and we ascended together.

My computer started showing too rapid ascent at about 67 feet, so I made us stop for about a minute. We then ascended again to within 20 feet of surface. My gauge (an analog) showed 0 psi, which I showed to DIVER. He apparently had been rapidly consuming air, which should have been enough for both of us to safely go to the surface, including a safety stop. I pointed to my octopus, to him, and then the surface and he handed me the octopus and ascended rapidly to the surface. I am not sure if he put his own regulator back in his mouth; there should have been enough air in his tank to breath since we were now shallow. I don’t recall if I saw him blowing bubbles during the ascent.

I stayed down and finished my safety stop (computer said 3 min, indicating our ascent to 20 feet was within guidelines). From my position below him, he seemed to be acting normal on the surface. He turned himself on his back and started fining. I followed underwater thinking he was headed toward the boat. Near the end of my safety stop, he quit moving. I ascended and found him on his back, BC inflated, purple face, with his mask on. His face appeared swelled. I took off his mask and tried to wake him up; I manually added more air to his BC, and kept his head out of the water and yelled for the boat.

They threw anchor and came to our location as I finned pulling DIVER towards the boat. Two of our group jumped in and brought him to the boat, removed his dive gear, and then others lifted him into the boat. The Coast Guard (CG) was called and we started CPR. We gave coordinates and started heading back at full speed.

DIVER seemed semi responsive for about the first 20 minutes, slowly gasping for breath and occasionally slowly moving an arm; he did not blink and his pupils were dilated and eyes half shut. He remained purple with veins showing in his cheek and neck. His face was very swelled. I noted gurgling in his lungs as I gave breaths. We radioed the CG and asked for advice on water removal from his lungs. Only guidance received was to continue CPR. We periodically turned him on his side and hit his back in effort to dislodge any water, then immediately back to CPR. At one point we ran the boat so fast the engine cut out in our effort to get to shore as fast as possible.

The CG met us after about 20 minutes and instructed us to follow in their wake. We asked to have them come aboard or take DIVER because of drowning concerns, but they continued to instruct us to follow in their wake and continue CPR. We continued CPR, with giving breaths more difficult because of a yellowish discharge from his lungs or stomach that caused us to gag. Several of us vomited after taking turns giving breaths. He gained normal color back, but his face seemed to be more swelled. His tongue appeared bitten.

We arrived at Pensacola Naval Air Station about 20 min later (approximately 40 min of boat time and CPR). The Base fire department got him on a stretcher and administered oxygen (we did not have any on the boat). The helicopter landed as we arrived and took him to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola.

This is a true and accurate account of these events to the best of my ability to remember.
Sincerely,
XXXXX

The accident was preventable and is a message to all of us to be safer divers, check your gages, and get on the boat with air in your tank. As a friend said, 5 more minutes of bottom time aint worth dying for. The diver we lost was an experienced diver, but not always a safe one. He had pushed the limits many times before. He also did not dive with a computer, which is critical for the diving we do in the Gulf. We are terribly sad for his family and know that we did our best to get him back alive to them. We will put a plaque down on the reef on our next dive as a memorial.

My sincere condolences go to the family; it is a tragic accident. This is my first post and I do not want to sound like I’m a pro or like I know everything (I merely want to have a constructive exchange). I just want to learn from that accident, develop my own set of mental procedures should such a situation ever happen. Based on the information available, the diver’s carelessness seems obvious, whether his own judgment was impaired by narcosis or not is ultimately irrelevant as he found himself in a buddy team (thanks to the Buddy) and could ascent (using his Buddy’s alternate) to 20 feet both acting calmly. Where I would like to bring the discussion (the thread has not been active since April 15) is the safety stops performed at 67’ and 20’. This is the area where I could learn something that can help me develop the proper mental rule in a case of an OOA.

If I understood correctly, the dive was under recreational dive rules (NDL). If that was the case, I don’t understand the reason Buddy/Diver stopped for 1 minute at 67’ and completed a 3 minute safety stop at 20’? Unless exceeding the time or depth for the specific dive (hence no more NDL), there is no reason/justification not to make a direct ascent. As I understand, the safety stop (please correct me if I’m wrong) is a nice to have that you should ALWAYS conduct in normal conditions; However, within a NDL dive, the safety stop is an extra precautionary measure. IMHO an OOA would justify skipping the computer’s suggestion for a 3 minute 20’ safety stop and directly surface within safe ascent speed. If, while ascending, both Buddy/Diver are OOA then conduct a CESA in obviously shallower depth than at the planned safety stop depth. In the present case, Buddy/Diver stopped at 20 feet, Buddy asked Diver to leave, performed a “by-the-computer” 3 minute safety stop plus a standard ascent. I think there would have been enough gas for both Buddy/Diver to complete a safe direct ascent. Would that have saved Diver? I don’t know, maybe he suffered from cardiac arrest, stroke, but the point is that a direct ascent, in a Donor/Diver configuration, would have eliminated the possibility of a breath-held ascent from an OOA diver (again I do not know if AGE is the case).

Again correct me if I’m wrong but my PADI Rescue Diver instructor, in the case of an OOA or unconscious diver or serious emergency, told me to surface AFAP (within safe ascent speed) certainly no safety stop. The only limiting factor being; the rescuer/donor should not put his/her life at risk. This is all possible precisely because we dive NDL, the priority is avoiding AGE or any other barotraumas. I think by telling everybody that we have to safety stop, divers believe this is mandatory and should you decide not to respect the rule your life is at risk. I do not know what happen in this particular case and I do not want to judge. What I found worthy of analyzing is what should you do the moment you find yourself in a situation were the Buddy/Donor is LOA and the Diver is OOA? IMHO, in such a situation (Donor LOA, Diver OOA), within NDL, the team should surface AFAP. BTW, this case represents a more likely scenario than the academic OOA buddy story in which the donor has unlimited gas and calmly support a buddy.

Some food for thoughts; there is a moral dimension to the scenario; should I even attempt to rescue an OOA diver while being LOA? Especially an OOA diver that is poor at gas management? What would be my reaction if we both run OOA? What will be my buddy’s reaction? Will he/she panic and turn into a lethal buddy? Dragging me down, or stopping me from performing a CESA? Would I turn to be the lethal buddy? Why should I, if I’m LOA, even consider assisting an OOA diver in the first place? Those are core questions that should be discussed between buddies. I whish all the best to the Buddy; it is a horrible experience he will have to live with for the rest of his life. BTW, I think that referring to the Diver’s safety track record does not excuse his death. God bless.

My sincere condolences go to the family; it is a tragic accident. This is my first post and I do not want to sound like I’m a pro or like I know everything (I merely want to have a constructive exchange). I just want to learn from that accident, develop my own set of mental procedures should such a situation ever happen. Based on the information available, the diver’s carelessness seems obvious, whether his own judgment was impaired by narcosis or not is ultimately irrelevant as he found himself in a buddy team (thanks to the Buddy) and could ascent (using his Buddy’s alternate) to 20 feet both acting calmly. Where I would like to bring the discussion (the thread has not been active since April 15) is the safety stops performed at 67’ and 20’. This is the area where I could learn something that can help me develop the proper mental rule in a case of an OOA.

If I understood correctly, the dive was under recreational dive rules (NDL). If that was the case,
I don’t understand the reason Buddy/Diver stopped for 1 minute at 67’ and completed a 3 minute safety stop at 20’? Unless exceeding the time or depth for the specific dive (hence no more NDL), there is no reason/justification not to make a direct ascent. As I understand, the safety stop (please correct me if I’m wrong) is a nice to have that you should ALWAYS conduct in normal conditions; However, within a NDL dive, the safety stop is an extra precautionary measure. IMHO an OOA would justify skipping the computer’s suggestion for a 3 minute 20’ safety stop and directly surface within safe ascent speed. If, while ascending, both Buddy/Diver are OOA then conduct a CESA in obviously shallower depth than at the planned safety stop depth. In the present case, Buddy/Diver stopped at 20 feet, Buddy asked Diver to leave, performed a “by-the-computer” 3 minute safety stop plus a standard ascent. I think there would have been enough gas for both Buddy/Diver to complete a safe direct ascent. Would that have saved Diver? I don’t know, maybe he suffered from cardiac arrest, stroke, but the point is that a direct ascent, in a Donor/Diver configuration, would have eliminated the possibility of a breath-held ascent from an OOA diver (again I do not know if AGE is the case).

Again correct me if I’m wrong but my PADI Rescue Diver instructor, in the case of an OOA or unconscious diver or serious emergency, told me to surface AFAP (within safe ascent speed) certainly no safety stop. The only limiting factor being; the rescuer/donor should not put his/her life at risk. This is all possible precisely because we dive NDL, the priority is avoiding AGE or any other barotraumas. I think by telling everybody that we have to safety stop, divers believe this is mandatory and should you decide not to respect the rule your life is at risk. I do not know what happen in this particular case and I do not want to judge. What I found worthy of analyzing is what should you do the moment you find yourself in a situation were the Buddy/Donor is LOA and the Diver is OOA? IMHO, in such a situation (Donor LOA, Diver OOA), within NDL, the team should surface AFAP. BTW, this case represents a more likely scenario than the academic OOA buddy story in which the donor has unlimited gas and calmly support a buddy.

Some food for thoughts; there is a moral dimension to the scenario; should I even attempt to rescue an OOA diver while being LOA? Especially an OOA diver that is poor at gas management? What would be my reaction if we both run OOA? What will be my buddy’s reaction? Will he/she panic and turn into a lethal buddy? Dragging me down, or stopping me from performing a CESA? Would I turn to be the lethal buddy? Why should I, if I’m LOA, even consider assisting an OOA diver in the first place? Those are core questions that should be discussed between buddies. I whish all the best to the Buddy; it is a horrible experience he will have to live with for the rest of his life. BTW, I think that referring to the Diver’s safety track record does not excuse his death. God bless

If I've donated, I (the gas supply) is doing the appropriate stops. The recipient can stay with me if they'd like.

If I'd donated, I would certainly make every attempt to avoid compounding a problem (OOA) with another one (DCS). Given the profile, I think watching the ascent rate and doing a stop was warranted and prudent.

This scenario is the thinking diver's forte. This would entail watching the gas supply, and shaping the curve so that there would be adequate gas to get to the surface. If the recipient was draining the gas supply, move shallower quickly, then, dwell longer than the usual 3 minutes. This would allow bubble off gassing that was still reasonabally controlled.

We are of course bound to our training. If blowing off your stops is part of your training, then I guess that's what you do. For me, I am one of "those divers", and controlling the ascent appropriately is part of our emergency management training.*

So in summary, from my armchair several weeks after the event and across the country, it looks to me like the donor actually handled a difficult situation well, and deserves some kudos.

All the best, James

*: not even getting into rock bottom here.

If I understood correctly, the dive was under recreational dive rules (NDL). If that was the case, I don’t understand the reason Buddy/Diver stopped for 1 minute at 67’ and completed a 3 minute safety stop at 20’? Unless exceeding the time or depth for the specific dive (hence no more NDL), there is no reason/justification not to make a direct ascent. As I understand, the safety stop (please correct me if I’m wrong) is a nice to have that you should ALWAYS conduct in normal conditions; However, within a NDL dive, the safety stop is an extra precautionary measure.

First of all, if you understand tables, deco and such, every dive is a decompression dive. Secondly, I am totally responsible for my obligation when it comes to stops and offgassing. As we get older offgassing is usually different (average people) than when we were young and everything worked perfectly. Making a stop at half your depth is common. A safety stop on every dive is smart.

IMHO an OOA would justify skipping the computer’s suggestion for a 3 minute 20’ safety stop and directly surface within safe ascent speed. If, while ascending, both Buddy/Diver are OOA then conduct a CESA in obviously shallower depth than at the planned safety stop depth. In the present case, Buddy/Diver stopped at 20 feet, Buddy asked Diver to leave, performed a “by-the-computer” 3 minute safety stop plus a standard ascent. I think there would have been enough gas for both Buddy/Diver to complete a safe direct ascent. Would that have saved Diver? I don’t know, maybe he suffered from cardiac arrest, stroke, but the point is that a direct ascent, in a Donor/Diver configuration, would have eliminated the possibility of a breath-held ascent from an OOA diver (again I do not know if AGE is the case).

Next, there is a saying over here that goes like this: A lack of planning on your part does not constitue an emergency on mine, or as my instructors "all" told me, "Don't become a victim yourself" This diver was advised to turn the dive and he didn't........the end.

Again, the rescuer made the smart decsion. Don't be a victim. He (rescuer) was aware it was time to ascend, time to offgass, and he came prepared and monitored his status. Why should it be insinuated that it may be his fault that this other diver made a conscious decision to not, turn, not ascend and not have a redundant gas supply as this seems to have been a practice for this diver. The victim was completely responsible for the outcome of this tragic situation. If he (victim) had turned and ascended this discussion would not even be going on.

Some food for thoughts; there is a moral dimension to the scenario; should I even attempt to rescue an OOA diver while being LOA? Especially an OOA diver that is poor at gas management? What would be my reaction if we both run OOA? What will be my buddy’s reaction? Will he/she panic and turn into a lethal buddy? Dragging me down, or stopping me from performing a CESA? Would I turn to be the lethal buddy? Why should I, if I’m LOA, even consider assisting an OOA diver in the first place? Those are core questions that should be discussed between buddies. I whish all the best to the Buddy; it is a horrible experience he will have to live with for the rest of his life. BTW, I think that referring to the Diver’s safety track record does not excuse his death. God bless.

I can tell you this, if a diver breaks the rules and dies while diving with me, I will not be living with it the rest of my life. I did what I needed to and the victim CHOSE not to. The fault lies, solely with the victim. It is easy to sit behind a keyboard and second guess situations after having all of the information but in this case it is completely an irresponsible diver in a sport that personal responsibility is preached and engrained in every one of us. This is not a tragedy, except for his loved ones. This is irresponsibility. You should never run out of gas on a recreational dive, short of entanglement or mechanical failure, never. No flaming meant either as you bring up some good points for discussion. Writing can come across as harsh on subject matter such as this and I have no intent to do anything but clarify what I see as needing clarification.

"If blowing off your stops is part of your training" No need to be rude here, getting personal and bullying me. I wanted to have an intelligent discussion in relation to a very sensitive subject. It is not about me or about you or the present case for instance, it is about a situation where you have one diver LOA and one diver OOA (like the 2 teens in California). The PADI rescue diver manual states as a procedure (p.154) for unresponsive diver that you ascend directly to the surface. Should it be the same for a responsive Diver? (PADI does not specifically address the case) In the PADI Divemaster Manual, there is a study case of a LOA Diver in which the Instructor has to force the diver to ascend (both ascend directly without a safety stop). There is, in a different thread, “Two fatalities at Harvard Mine, California” where one tech diver helps an OOA to the surface and get back for his deco. I do not tech dive and I manage my gas and depth very well, I stay within NDL dive rules, hence I know (this is my training) that if something goes wrong I can surface directly. Then you’ll tell me that I’m blowing off my stops???

I did not imply that the Donor did something wrong or right, he did what he believed was acceptable to him. I’m certainly not going to judge him; this is a terrible tragedy (still easily avoidable by basic air management from Diver). But I know that even if he did it right this man will have to live with this for the rest of his life. It does not matter if he is right; the psychological impact is there.

So you stated what you would do in a similar case. That’s OK, no sweat. But you can respect other’s positions too. I just happen to have live long enough to understand that my certainties have their own limits and that circumstances could change in a blink of an eye; I don’t know what I would do, will I support Diver or not? Will I go as far as Donor did? I don’t know, I have experienced it in the mountains, at sea but never underwater.

Can we agree that diving within safe NDL one could surface without a safety stop?

Patrice

Back
Top Bottom