Favorite gloves for both dexterity AND warmth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hank harris

Reaction score
Looking for the best combo for dexterity and warmth. I have some great 3mm for dexterity, but my hands get cold. Have some great 5mm for warmth, but operating the buttons on my camera is a pain.

I've seen Mares advertise a 5/3, but haven't seen them. Anyone got feedback on those? Also read someone liking Henderson hyperstretch for dexterity and warmth, but haven't seen those either. Anyone using them?

Or something else?

I have the beuchat elaskin and I am very happy with them.
Talking dexterity, I never use them for fotography so maybe not so much dexterity with them

Go dry with sitek rings and thin PVC work gloves. REI has various liners you can add depending on water temp.

Hank, I use these in water down to 50*F, and do video also. They're quite stretchy, but the material isn't tough enough for hard use like grabbing corroded metal. Get the smallest size that fits you to cut down on water flow. I've also got a pair of the 3mm.

Go Dry with the Diving Concepts ring system and Atlas gloves. Installs on MOST drysuits in about 20 minutes, no tools needed. Easily removed for the warmer months in SoCal. Easily re-installed in October. Love 'em!!!!

I have dramatically better dexterity than with 3MM or 5MM neoprene gloves.
(And much warmer feet, too :)

Claudette

I use the Pinnacle 4 ml glove. It has the tough exterior, and velcro straps which work fine over my 7 ml wetsuit. It comes with or without their special wool on the inside. I got it at Leisure Pro. I don't have much experience with gloves, but it seems to be much more flexible than some of the 5 mls'.

4 ml is unusual for some reason, but I recall seeing another one at Dive Inn's website a while ago.

I also have a pair of Pinnacle 4 ml gloves, and they're really nice.

Cheng uses a pair of the Deep See Dry Comfort 4 mm gloves ...

http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/dry_comfort.html

... and she says they're warmer than any glove she's tried, and that it's easy to work the camera with them. Despite the name, they are not dry gloves ... although she says they're very comfortable.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hank harris:
Many thanks!
You are welcome, of course! I just had the pleasure of diving Monterey for the first time a couple of weeks ago. 57F on the shore dives, and 54F at Outer Pinnacles and Jawdropper. Blue Gloves RULE!! My hands were warm and comfortable for 7 long dives over 3 days. If you have a dry suit, and it can accomodate some kind of dry glove... it's a no brainer, IHNSHO :D

I've heard it gets a bit chillier in the winter :14: .

Stay safe and warm.

Claudette

Thanks, Claudette. I dive here weekly, so I am also partial to the area :)

Pinnacles is awesome, yes?

It's warm here now; lovin' it. But winter brings us to mid-40's. I'm blessed to be able to dive wet in the temps here, so the gloves I'm looking for need to able to be used w/ a wetsuit. Some good leads were offered; I will be investigating them. I have warm gloves, and I have gloves with great dexterity. I just don't have any that combine those 2 features. Hopefully I will find some. Until then, I opt for the dexterity, especially in the toasty mid-50's water we are enjoying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom