Favorite LED Video Lights ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved the fact that my original halogen lights had the batteries encased within the light housing. When I moved up to HIDs, there was a separate battery pack and light heads, requiring waterproof cables. These cables got in the way, occasionally even flopped down into the frame and eventually one abraded and had to be replaced. Now that I'm looking for LEDs, I'm going to go with a system that has the batteries inside the light housing again.

All I have to do is research which one. Dean, are your test results available anywhere on line? Your link to divecritic doesn't work for me from your sigfile or from your other website.

I loved the fact that my original halogen lights had the batteries encased within the light housing. When I moved up to HIDs, there was a separate battery pack and light heads, requiring waterproof cables. These cables got in the way, occasionally even flopped down into the frame and eventually one abraded and had to be replaced. Now that I'm looking for LEDs, I'm going to go with a system that has the batteries inside the light housing again.

All I have to do is research which one. Dean, are your test results available anywhere on line? Your link to divecritic doesn't work for me from your sigfile or from your other website.

I like having the batteries in a canister on my waist belt. Keeps the lamps smaller and lighter. But I can see the appeal of everything self contained. It's nice to have choices and this latest LED technology seems to offer us more options than HID did.

Hey Maxbottomtime: I love how you mounted the princeton shockwaves. That gave me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Dr Mark

I recently picked up a Light and Motion SOLA 600 LED Video light for use with my Sea & Sea HD Camera system. I've only used it twice so far, but I'm very happy with it. I mostly dive in the San Diego county area so it's usually limited visibility and the light performs very well. It puts out around 680 Lumens at high power setting, (it has 3 power settings as well as a Red Light Mode).
The light is great, thought it does have a very slight bluish tint as most LED's seem to. I also like the fact that it's very small and light for a video light as bright as it is....I'm also looking forward to testing the red light mode during lobster hunting season in a couple weeks!

LED lights are quickly evolving. Was just reading about a 4000+ lumen LED light from Mangrove Aditech. Self contained battery, 100 degree wide beam, hi-low setting, for around $800.

Only downside seems to be the weight. One pound negative buoyancy. But if the light matches the specs they list, it sounds like a steal for $800.

Back
Top Bottom