Favorite "Local" Dive Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigmak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I read a lot about southern dive locations but what is your favorite "local" dive locations. And how far would you drive for a day of diving?

As a new diver (cert. Oct '06 at White Star) I have been looking into local dive locations and found 4 quarries within a 2 hour drive (Gilboa, White Star, Portage and Twin Quarries). Pro's and Con's to these?

bigmak:
I read a lot about southern dive locations but what is your favorite "local" dive locations. And how far would you drive for a day of diving?

As a new diver (cert. Oct '06 at White Star) I have been looking into local dive locations and found 4 quarries within a 2 hour drive (Gilboa, White Star, Portage and Twin Quarries). Pro's and Con's to these?

First, don't leave off the Lakes themselves. There's some dive boats operating out of Cleveland (I believe your profile said NE Ohio).

For a day of diving, no more than 2-3 hours, prefer only 2. For a weekend, a little more.

Of those you listed, White Star would be closest. Good diving, good visibility. I like it. Air not always on site, tho.

Portage, a little further for you. My experience has been visibility isn't great, but I know others that have been there with better tales than I have.

Gilboa is a little further than Portage for you. Good diving, anywhere from 0 to good visibility. Lots to see, good range of depths for fitting the diving to your experience.

Circleville Twin Quarries is south of Columbus probably the worst drive of the bunch for you. Shallow, skinny, long. Some things to see and do.

My ranking of those 4 - Gilboa and White Star, then Portage, then CTQ.

My favorite site is the wreck of the freighter, S.S. Wisconsin about 5 miles off of Kenosha in Lake Michigan.

For the amount of different sites within the same general area, I like the Thunder Bay preserve at Alpena MI. Not a one day trip but great for a weekend, and even better if you have your own boat!

bigmak:

I think people have wandered out a ways from your original question, but I think you get the idea, there's some good diving to be had in them Great Lakes. I've dove some of the sites mentioned and agree with them all. But, for within a 2 hour range or so, you hit the ones I know of and, whether on purpose or not, got the order pretty well right. White Star will be closer for you than Gilboa, but I like them both. Just be aware that at White Star you can't always get air on site without making a phone call for the guy to bring his trailer out.

Ken

NE Ohio?
I know I can drive from Buffalo NY to Cleveland in about 2.5 hours.
So check out Osprey Charters out near Westfield NY.
They go to a lot of nice wrecks in lake Erie.

Back
Top Bottom