Favorite "pet-peave" arguments against solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree
The majority of my "best dives ever" were solo and had more to do with the carefree nature of the dive resulting from the solitude rather than any aspect of the marine life or topography.

I don't see it as a moral issue. I hate arguments that imply that it is.
I also hate the officious intermeddlers who take it upon themselves to interfere with what you are doing.

I really enjoy diving with my wife/buddy. I also enjoy buddying up with a few friends with compatable dive styles. I am usually happy to accept a stranger as a buddy if the other diver wants a buddy. But there are very few recrational dives that I do that I would not do solo, or in a group but with no established buddy. I find it somewhat relaxing to not have to moniter and adjust to a buddy.

MikeFerrara:
My arguement against lagitimizing it for the general diving public is that most of them can't dive for crap.
and while it would be much more enjoyable for me to dive solo than to have to take on the responsibility of diving with them... I do on occassion, and many end up being surprisingly good dive buddies after a little mentoring.

Still, for many of the crappy divers being pumped out the doors of the local BOW mill, solo becomes their only option since no one wants to dive with them.

Fortunately here on Scuba Board they can read about the bliss and relative safety of solo diving. Here they can learn that it is not only OK but actually safer than diving with other crappy divers (like themselves.)

Thus there has been added yet another way of thinning the ranks of crappy divers. Perhaps it isn't legitimate in a moral sense but then Darwin was never about morality.

Uncle Pug:
Fortunately here on Scuba Board they can read about the bliss and relative safety of solo diving. Here they can learn that it is not only OK but actually safer than diving with other crappy divers (like themselves.)
Ah - but I would wager most of the crappy divers reading the how to solo dive on ScubaBoard or are thinking about solo diving think like most of the crappy drivers on the highway. You know - "Why am I the only one on the road who knows how to drive?" or should it be, "Why am I the only diver in the ocean who has any skills?" It's always the other guy who's skills are lacking :eyebrow:

I've only been diving for two years and by my 6th dive I became the baby sitter for rent-a-buddies who had more dives under their belt than me. I was bewildered,to say the least, but after finding some information on Solo Diving I knew it was for me. I like to dive with others as well and even "crappy" divers, but Solo allows me to be prepared for the crazy things unknown buddies can do. It is also much better for picture taking for me.

I never feel totally prepared - not the macho thing for me. I'm glad to see this forum where I hope to continue to improve my odds of surviving by absorbing knowledge from others.

Back on topic: I hear quite often "Isn't it dangerous to dive alone". I enjoy telling them my experiences with "crappy" buddies. So far I have been able to get them down to a low worry :D .

I have done a few solo dives and like most find it very relaxing, that is until I get home and hear my husband ranting about how I shouldn't do that, and its way to dangerous, blah blah blah... (at least he cares though) However, most of the time, if I'm not diving with someone I know and like to buddy up with, I consider myself a solo diver. Anyone whose ever read about my dive accident would have to agree, you better know who your diving with if your counting on them to be your equal, they my surprise you in the worst possible way.

A good buddy dive versus solo diving.....hrmmmmm, guess it would depend on my mood :eyebrow:

Favorite "pet-peave" arguments against solo diving

Uh, lets see.

Uncle Pug:
Still, for many of the crappy divers being pumped out the doors of the local BOW mill, solo becomes their only option since no one wants to dive with them.

Thus there has been added yet another way of thinning the ranks of crappy divers. Perhaps it isn't legitimate in a moral sense but then Darwin was never about morality.

UP, don't let the DIR gang catch you in here or they'll ostracize you. If they do, you're always welcome here.

On a serious note. How about a "Team Diving" forum? I think it would be very useful, and an eye opener for many. A concise discussion forum, for a very important topic often lost in the general discussions, would serve to keep it at the forefront for everyone interested.

I enjoy diving with others. The social aspect, talking about the cool things we saw during the dive, giving a less experienced diver some tips, learning from more experienced divers, etc.

That said, the majority of the dives where I was really blown away, or saw many really interesting things were done solo. I think the reason is that when I am by myself, I am free to explore anywhere I like, be it long swims or short, and I devote 100% of my attention to my surroundings instead of keeping track of my buddy and his/her relative position to myself, etc.

I have never done a solo dive, nor do I go swimming without a buddy. Seems to me that sharing an experiance is much more rewarding than being alone. Like the time I actualy touched a live deer in the wild by stalking and waiting. Great experiance but had no one to share it with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom