Fear of getting the Bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people are just more easily bent than others too. Many times even the doctors can not find a justifiable reason. A PFO could answer this issue. You might just need to be even more conservative than you already are.

Do not work hard at depth, set your high GF number even lower than it already is and keep going down until it works for you, do not use heat at depth unless you can turn it up a bit higher on deco, keep your body moving slightly on deco to help offgas, and make sure to breath properly and fully exhale to prevent any retention (shallow breathing is not good).

I recently got bent and was paralyzed form the waist down, so feel free to ignore any and all of my advice.

I try to be extremely conservative and each time this happens I become even more conservative. I definitely don't want to push the boundaries.

The first two times I got skin bent, I was fighting the flow in a cave and think I was working to hard. Every time I got bent was also for two consecutive dives that day. The last time was for my deco class around 150' deep and was at the entrance room for Eagles Nest cave. No flow and completely calm the entire dive, very relaxed but deeper than normal. Off the top of my head I want to say we had nitrox at 27%. I've always done full deep breathes especially during deco although I may be trying to control my breathing and keep it to slow when I'm in the flow each time I've been bent. Moving during deco is excellent advice and have always just stayed calm and relaxed but breathing deep. This last time I got bent though I had some issues with my gear and was moving quite a bit during deco on the first dive but not the second.

I have a spinal cord injury from a parachute malfunction and now have rods and screws in my back which have now broken and separated away a half inch from where they're supposed to be, plus they move during flexion and extension. I lost the feeling in my left thigh but am fortunate enough that I still have full function. It's very limiting and quite a bit of pain so getting bent and becoming completely paralyzed is always on the back of my mind and definitely keeping me from diving as much as I would like. Would you be willing to share what happened or if you now what caused you to get bent? do you have a PFO? I appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experience to help me stay safer in the future. Until I find out about the PFO it's starting to make me question whether diving is worth it, and underwater photography is my life's passion, It would be devastating if I couldn't get in the water.

I recently got bent and was paralyzed form the waist down, so feel free to ignore any and all of my advice.[/QUOTE] can you share your story on what happened?

Recently I've been skin bent on three separate occasions following a very conservative table and all with nitro. These were all during cave classes or during my deco certification. Each time I was on O2 for about 1.5 times the duration specified on my Shearwater Petrol. My Buddies and I were all trying to figure out what the cause was since I was so conservative. One of my buddies and his wife both work in the ER and had no idea what it could be
I eat a raw plant based diet and make all my own food from scratch which is extremely healthy. Normally I eat 2-3 watermelons a day and while everyone else is eating BBQ during the surface interval, I have a 3 gallon tub filled with watermelon I eat all to myself. So I'm extremely hydrated and exceptionally healthy. I weigh the same today as I did when I graduated from high school 20 years ago.

I have definitely stopped diving as much since I've become more concerned about getting bent. I have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks and have already asked to be checked for a PFO. Once I find out the results I'll post with an update.
A friend of mine gets skin bends often. She swears she makes a safety stop on every dive but I've watched her and she ascends to her safety stop depth too quickly. Perhaps you might add a few stops along the way to slow your ascent. Also, a recent DAN article mentioned that dehydration is not high on the list of DCS triggers.

Fruitographer: I'd strongly suggest considering doing something about those loose rods in your back. With one move, you could be numb in a lot more places and would not take long to be a permanent condition. Essentially if anything starts pressing against the sciatic nerve in your spinal cord, it can instantly cause big time pain and loss of function. Something like that is probably causing your left thigh problem. A disc in my wife's back burst and the inner material pushed into her sciatic nerve resulting in big unable to sleep level pain and her leg being numb. Tried to resolve with therapy but no relief so we did surgery within a couple weeks which eliminated the pain immediately but numbness persists. This may improve over a lot of time while nerves try to reconnect.

And 3-4 watermelons?! I like the plant based diet idea but you're processing a whole lot of water from wherever they grow them.

I have been checked to see if they could remove the hardware recently and around 10 years ago. They told me there was nothing they could do and it might make it worse. Even though the bottom of the rods move in me at least 4mm between flexion and extension, they said the fusion was stable. If they went in it would probably cause more damage to the tissues and may not help enough to be worth it. Trust me, it would feel better with them gone but to get them out might cause other issues. I also have two vertebrate out of place and three degenerative discs outside the fusion. They said that since I have so many other issues outside the fused area that they didn't feel it would be a good decision to do surgery. When my parachute collapsed around 70-90 feet, I hit the ground so hard the impact went from my spine through my ribs and broken my sternum. Every once in a while it will feel like I'm being stabbed in the chest and the knifes being twisted. Of course the VA won't acknowledge there's a problem with my sternum since they can't see anything in the imagery but you can grab my sternum and bend it around and freely move. it.

I worry less about the juice inside a melon and the water they use than I would drinking a cup of water from the tap with fluoride and chlorine. Plants will filter many things out but you do have to be careful with pesticides and chemicals. I don't eat anything that I don't make from scratch and the water from where I get my melons from is far less of a concern than that of anything that comes in a box. Try reading the ingredients on a package of food and I'll be amazed if most people even knew what 10% of the ingredients are.

I haven't met anyone that has put as much research into living with spinal injuries and pain as I have. There's been people that specialize in certain areas and know a great deal within that subject but not as open minded and willing to do what ever it takes to be as pain free and functional as possible. I do an hour of exercises for my back each day to keep my joints flexible and loose which makes a huge difference. I know the specific types of exercise that will benefit and hinder, the exercises I do are not recommended by my physical therapists but I know by how it makes me feel that it's beneficial. I'm willing to eat however makes me feel the best and give up anything that doesn't. I monitor my activity and make sure I don't over work myself causing more injuries and take time to recover when I need to. I don't take any pills at all and let my food be thy medicine. I use an assortment of back braces and have different ones for different things. I also use some other modalities depending on the occasion including cupping, Dolphin Micro Current Stimulation pin point(not a TENS), H-Wave electrical stimulation patches (not a TENS), Cannabis for extreme pain only vaped not smoked, and a lotion made from cannabis that will melt away just about any pain you can imagine with no psychological effects, and the latest thing I'm looking into is cold lasers. I've also looked into stem cells and know some quadriplegic ladies that have had treatments and can now walk with assistance for short durations and starting to gain slight movement back in there hands.

DSix36 I would suggest looking into stem cell treatments. They can harvest stem cells from your fat and bone marrow and then inject it back into the system to repair any damage within the body. I don't know as much about this other than I've seen the results from some people I met at the VA wheel chair games and the results were impressive.

The bottom screws are supposed to be connected to the rods just like the top screws are connected. they are 1/2" away from where they should be.

IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0511.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom