Fear of Sharks, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyatt2323 I believe if you read up on bites you'll find were a lot of people get bitten are near were theres a drop off from sallow water to deeper it seems sharks like to cruise here looking for meals. Alot of people are mistaken for food with their movements. Another is near the beach people walk in a step on a shark are one is looking for a meal and hes trying a taste. That's were shuffle you feet comes from.

In April in the Key Largo area it's the hammerheads breeding time of year. Hammerheads can be mean but more times than not you see there body for a second they see you and swoosh they are gone. Places were they don't feed sharks if you happen on lets say nurse sharks they just lay under a ledge and if you don't get closer than say 7 are so feet they'll just lie there. A 10ft bull swimming down the highway just goes on his merry way if you give him a wide berth. They are not looking to chase you down for a snack. The majority of bites are accidental were they think you are something else they eat. Don't worry after a few times you dive near them you'll get used to it but its still a rush.

Bob Vincent:
Another is near the beach people walk in a step on a shark are one is looking for a meal and hes trying a taste. That's were shuffle you feet comes from.

I'm not looking to start a war here, but I've never heard of anyone stepping on a shark at a beach. I thought the shuffle was the "stingray shuffle".... as it is fairly common for people to step on rays.... but steppin on sharks??? Never heard of such a thing.

john cootes:
I share your "concerns" about certain types of shark. We have just had another attack on a boogie board rider here in New South Wales, and a mother who took a photo of her young son water skiing on Lake Macquarie (where I also dive) was horrified when a local fisherman identified the fin of a Bull Shark just behing the youngster in the photo! There's an excellent product on the market, invented by two enterprising young South Australians, called SHARKSHIELD. Visit their site on www.sharkshield.com.au

This sounds great, I wonder why we don't hear much about it in the USA? Does some government agency have to approve it for sale here?:huh:

If I were in your shoes I would look at getting some dives under my belt diving with non (or atleast less) threatening species of sharks, in order to develop a level of comfort in understanding there behavior.

Walter:
It happens.

Wow... really? :confused:

Well, I learn something new everyday! I would have never guessed that stepping on sharks would be a common beach issue that can cause sharkbites! I always thought it was the stingrays that warranted the "shuffle". (Of course... if I was the shark... and I got stepped on... you better believe I'd bite 'cha! LOL:wink: )

It's not all that common, but it does happen. You are more likely to step on a stingray. Sharks do commonly come into shallow water, but they don't usually rest on the bottom, rays do.

Swim softly and carry a big stick!:D

wyatt2323:
I am hoping that you experienced divers can help me out here. I have a major fear of sharks. I spent a lot of time snorkelling in Makena, Maui last year, there were two Tiger Shark attacks during the 2 week period that I was there, in that exact area (I found out later, cause I wouldn't have been in the water otherwise.
So here is my problem: As it is. I spend most of my time in Hawaii, in the water looking for Jaws to come and get me. I'm going back to Hawaii in May, where I will complete my OW dives. I am thinking that after that, it may be a good idea to go shark diving (supervised charter, of course) to get over my fear, as I realize that the chances of attck are rare.
Any advice would be appreciated. Do I have an unrealistic fear of attack? Is a shark dive a good idea.
Thanks in advance,
David

Walter:
You are more likely to step on a stingray. Sharks do commonly come into shallow water, but they don't usually rest on the bottom, rays do.

That's what I thought. I know sharks do frequent the shallow/beach areas... but I didn't think they rested on the bottom... I figured if one was around a beach or shallow area, it would be swimming. :) That's why I found "stepping on a shark" as being odd. (Of course, most sharks must continue to move in order to filter water thru the gills.)

I'm with justleesa on the circumstances. Most of the time divers are NOT the ones attacked. I've been on several shark dives and the sharks could care less about us. I'm not a fan of shark dives now, because it changes the behavior and setting of the relationship of sharks with people. I'm not too sure a shark dive would help you, especially if you did a cage dive where they're chumming the water to get the shark that riled up. Remember one major point about sharks...we are NOT their primary food source. I've been told they don't even really like the taste of our blood, humans just get bit by accident, then you hear about it on the news because it's a slow news day. More people get killed by elephants than sharks from what I hear...

good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom