Fear of Sharks, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen anyone do something they're terrified of and get over thier fear, usually they just get worked up into a tizzy.
Doing a shark cage dive will let you see sharks up close and acting unnaturally (i.e. attack mode because of the food in the water). This sort of activity gives a FALSE impression of how sharks behave in the wild. IF you want to get over your fear, spend time learning about sharks, look into statistics (some people are comforted by this) and perhaps go on dives where you can expect to see small, relativly inactive sharks (like whitetip reef sharks here in Hawaii). Acclimate yourself to the behaviors of wild sharks (generally non-agressive, super chill) rather than the frenzied behavior of batied sharks. Realizing how sharks really act will help you deal with your fear.
If you want actualy numbers go to the international shark attack file's website. You'll see that shark attacks are about as common as double lightning strikes while wining the lottery.....
I'd say no, don't patronize the shark-feeding businesses. You might 'see' a shark at these activites, but it's very artifical. You may as well go to an aquarium and sit at the window. In fact at the aquarium you'll probably get a better sense of how sharks will behave.

I've never seen anyone do something they're terrified of and get over thier fear, usually they just get worked up into a tizzy.

I agree about the cage dives not helping. What FINALLY got me over my fear was Blue Corner, Palau. 15-20 large sharks at one time....they were on the "current freeway" and went right on by, no interest in me what-so-ever (except for that dam water bottle trick.) Anyway, it cured me, after the third dive or so.

keep telling yourself the rational statistics. What we fear, is not what we SHOULD fear.

Shooting the RIFFE divers chumming, that scared me all over again. Maybe you should get a big speargun? I know it would have made me feel better that day. Everybody had one but me...not a good feeling.

OH? My last tip---don't hang out with guys who wear wetsuits that smell like fish guts. named Kurt and Derek. Johnny Pang too. (seriously? they ALWAYS see sharks, even when not dragging fish around, I have decided it's the wetsuit aroma)

Catherine,

Are we losing you to the non-tank, fish killing blasphemers? I have heard those people have no soul...or tank! Intervention..Intervention....Intervention...

Remember, real divers DON'T hold their breath......just like the fish....

Jon

Walter:
No arguments from me. I've seen a bunch of sharks before and after the one incident that wasn't any fun. I'm more likely to seek out sharks now than before. I wasn't yelling, "the sky is falling." I was explaining that fears are real and there is a basis for them. I loved your post, both the way you encouraged Wyatt and your story about your first shark encounter. Calling someone's fear, "ridicuolous" is, OTOH, belittling and not something I can let go unchallenged. Let's go dive with some sharks.

We're on the same wavelength, Walter. :D

I'd love to go diving with you... and lets do find some sharks! I'll be in FL in August... WPB area. :)

Walter:
<snip>

I've also been struck by lightning.
Well that explains plenty... :wink:

Jon C:
Catherine,

Are we losing you to the non-tank, fish killing blasphemers? I have heard those people have no soul...or tank! Intervention..Intervention....Intervention...

Remember, real divers DON'T hold their breath......just like the fish....

Jon

well, it is amazingly easy to load the boat.:D I always hope we don't see the big ones, but when you do, it is a rush. (after you are out and sipping beers)

I share your "concerns" about certain types of shark. We have just had another attack on a boogie board rider here in New South Wales, and a mother who took a photo of her young son water skiing on Lake Macquarie (where I also dive) was horrified when a local fisherman identified the fin of a Bull Shark just behing the youngster in the photo! There's an excellent product on the market, invented by two enterprising young South Australians, called SHARKSHIELD. Visit their site on www.sharkshield.com.au

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom