Fear of Sharks, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well reef sharks are one thing, but if I had been with Jon on that dive, i'm pretty sure i'd need a new wetsuit.:D

Carribeandiver:
heard of the Cookie Cutter Shark>? They swim around deep deep during the day and come to the surface at night. These little guys take round chunks from their victims; hence, the name Cookie Cutter. Do you make night dives? Wear neoprene? If yes to both of those, be afraid, be very afraid.

Ever hear of "Cookie Cutter Women"? They walk around during the day and night and only surface to take chunks out of a man's wallet...hence the name. Do you have a wife or girlfriend? Do you have a wallet? If yes to both of those, be afraid, be very afraid!

Note the comments above are meant to be humorous and no women were harmed during the creation. Any likeness to any person is purely coincidental and not intended to deplict an individual or group.

:wink:

es601:
Does the number of times people walk past coke machines versus dive in shark inhabited water have anything to do with the stats. ?? Ya Think???

I think the stat is skewed by the relatively few number of divers who swim up to sharks, bear hug and shake them for loose change, and then stick their arms way up into them to see if they can snag a free can of soda :rofl3:

At the risk of sounding like a wise-a##, one solution might be: don't dive. Seriously, diving is supposed to be fun and pleasureful (except for the tiny % that dive for a living). There's nothing fun about being afraid.

ippy01:
At the risk of sounding like a wise-a##, one solution might be: don't dive. Seriously, diving is supposed to be fun and pleasureful (except for the tiny % that dive for a living). There's nothing fun about being afraid.
Nor is it any fun not to be able to dive because of a reasonably irrational fear of sharks.. Its not diving that scares the OP, its the possibility of sharks. Overcome that fear and you can enjoy diving like everyone else..

I used to have a phobic fear of syringes (blood samples, vaccines, whatever) and that made going to the dentist HELL for me, cause id either have to fix my teeth without taking the shot (which is painfull) or I had to face my worst fear and get that needle stuck into my mouth..
Obviously, overcoming that fear of needles made the whole process of fixing my teeth a whole lot more fun.
My wallet still have a fear of dentist bills tho :p

Not diving because you have a fear of shark is not a solution to a problem/challenge, its running away from it on the cost of not being able to enjoy an activity that might have greatly enriched your life

I just finished reading a book about the submerged archelogical preservation unit of the National Park Service, great book. In it the author told a story about how he was doing some underwater photography and a large shark was near by and got in the classic aggression stance, back arched, bareing teeth, etc. etc. Later on after another encounter he figured out it was probably the high-pitch wine of his large flash recycling after a shot. Anyone else have similar encounters due to photography?

usmarinejustin:
I just finished reading a book about the submerged archelogical preservation unit of the National Park Service, great book. In it the author told a story about how he was doing some underwater photography and a large shark was near by and got in the classic aggression stance, back arched, bareing teeth, etc. etc. Later on after another encounter he figured out it was probably the high-pitch wine of his large flash recycling after a shot. Anyone else have similar encounters due to photography?
go to post # 11 and read about the third encounter, the guy that made this post took that photo and he tells the GW sharks reaction to the strobe

I have spent a lot of time in the water with sharks, and have never had a problem. I think based on my own experience that a sharks curiosity is most often confused with aggressiveness. I have had sharks physically brush up against me, and after a while they get bored and leave. there really isn't too much to worry about. just don't do anything stupid, like jump in with an open wound, early mornings and evenings are bad times, cause those are the times when sharks are most actively looking for a meal. it is good to keep an eye on them and know where they are at, but don't panic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom