fear of uncontrolled ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Caymancase & all,

Bouyancy is fickle, in that while water does not compress appreciatively with pressure, we and our wetsuits do. Consequently, If you are "nuetral" on the surface, you will become increasingly negative as you descend. You may not notice much in the first 20 ft or so, but after that, you will find yourself having to keep moving to stay above the bottom. However, if you add just the right amount of air, you will be able to "hover" without having to move at all. This way you won't have to disturb the bottom at all... good conservation!!!

This is why you should add as you descend, and vent as you ascend. If you are perfectly nuetral at depth then any appreciable ascent will make you immediately positive. Thats why you ascend with your BC inflator valve over your head as you ascend, so you can slowly let out the air as you rise. Don't wait untill you feel the water rushing past you, then you have an out of control ascent and DCS or an air embolism waiting to happen.

Pete from Orlando...

Thank You all for your input. I will only be able to jump in the pool once more before we leave, so I will see what I can do for a bc then. I'll probably just rent one for my C-dives. I don't want to buy one until I feel comfortable in it, but who knows..with one adjusted right and all I just might get one on that last pool session.
I really apprecite all of the comments made, because it is a concern of mine, and a good one at that. It is most important not to fly-up to the surface, and I will listen and do what is told to me to keep this from happening. Again, Thank You!!!
Debbielou

Find a different shop that will give you personalized service. All your equiptment should fit proper and be in excellent shape. You are diving for fun right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom