Fed up with the extra of me, time for change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are relatively new divers, and want to get into better shape before the ice is out and we start diving again.

I am 42 years old, 5 foot 9, and top the scales at 220. I used to be physically active. Ten yeras ago, I tipped the scale at 185, and was working out 5 days a week.

My wife and I moved out into a small town that didntt have a gym, and instead of taking up cyc;ing or walking, I took up couching. No more.

Two weeks ago, (not a new years resolution thing, but close) I stopped smoking. We dusted off the crosstrainer, movrd it from the basement into a room on the main floor of the house (the old out of sight thing was too strong), and just today picked up a small weight bench and about 140 lb of weights and bars.

Now it's time to start sweating. I ony have one limitation that I have to "deal with". When I was younger and in the military, I did a pretty good job of trashing my left ankle. As a result, high impact on that joint is frowned upon...both by me and my doctors. Hence the eliptical crosstrainer.

Here's what we are hoping to do, and would like some suggetions from the experts.

We are hoping to set up a workout routine something along this lines:

Each week will encompas the following

2 days weight training
2 days cardio on the crosstrainer
1 day pool time w scuba (practice drills, bouyancy control, finning etc)
2 days rest and recovery.

What we need to determine is which exercizes with free weights we should be doing, the number of reps, and beginning weight.
Which stretchs are best for overall fitness and in specific diving
Which programs we should be following for using the crosstrainer(flat vs hills etc)
How should we stagger the scheduling of these session to get the most out of our workouts, and recovery time.

Our target is weight loss, combined with strengh and endurace conditioning.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

I'm not expert that's for sure but would like to find a new home for #20 or so.

My goal this winter is to become a decent lap swimmer. As I start down that road I've been spending 1/2 hour in the Y pool doing skin-dive laps in mask, fins and snorkel. Then I do some rotary breathing swimming practice and treat myself to some dives along the bottom of the pool as a reward. Eventually it will be more of the swimming as my wind and breathing cordination come together.

I just thought I'd mention the skin-diving since you seem to have pool access. I'm going at a solid pace and doing 3/4 mile in 1/2 hour,

I've done a good amont of skin-diving and continue to do so since taking up scuba diving. It soes wonders for your air usage since sustained snorkel breathing conditions you to take those wonderful deep co2 expelliong breaths. That's a nice bonus!

Pete

spectrum:
I just thought I'd mention the skin-diving since you seem to have pool access. I'm going at a solid pace and doing 3/4 mine in 1/2 hour,
Pete

I guess I shouldn't have used the word "experts". All advice would be helpful and welcome.

We don't have regular access to a pool, but we can get access for diving purposes. Our LDS allows us to use the pools they have booked during their classes, and equipment for practice...no costs..not even for the gas.

All of our planned workouts will be done using equipment we have in our home. (tunturi cross trainer, weider weight bench and about 150 lbs of free weights and bars) The closest gym, or pool for that matter is about a half hour's drive and with us being in the teeth of winter, regular trips, other than one night a week for dive practice, is too inconvenient. If we were to join the gym, we would probably would end up missing sessions due to weather, laziness, etc.

Hey a home gym, sweet!

Lucky to have that kind of pool access as well.

Think about the skin-diving when the ice goes out. I was on local ponds 2 weeks after ice-out. The fish setting up and tending their breeding sites are neat. If you get out there early you can see where the cigarette butts accumulate below popular ice fishing holes!

Oh and congratulation, and a boat load of encougement on the end of smoking!

Pete

Storm:
My wife and I are relatively new divers, and want to get into better shape before the ice is out and we start diving again.

I am 42 years old, 5 foot 9, and top the scales at 220. I used to be physically active. Ten yeras ago, I tipped the scale at 185, and was working out 5 days a week.

My wife and I moved out into a small town that didntt have a gym, and instead of taking up cyc;ing or walking, I took up couching. No more.

Two weeks ago, (not a new years resolution thing, but close) I stopped smoking. We dusted off the crosstrainer, movrd it from the basement into a room on the main floor of the house (the old out of sight thing was too strong), and just today picked up a small weight bench and about 140 lb of weights and bars.

Now it's time to start sweating. I ony have one limitation that I have to "deal with". When I was younger and in the military, I did a pretty good job of trashing my left ankle. As a result, high impact on that joint is frowned upon...both by me and my doctors. Hence the eliptical crosstrainer.

Here's what we are hoping to do, and would like some suggetions from the experts.

We are hoping to set up a workout routine something along this lines:

Each week will encompas the following

2 days weight training
2 days cardio on the crosstrainer
1 day pool time w scuba (practice drills, bouyancy control, finning etc)
2 days rest and recovery.

What we need to determine is which exercizes with free weights we should be doing, the number of reps, and beginning weight.
Which stretchs are best for overall fitness and in specific diving
Which programs we should be following for using the crosstrainer(flat vs hills etc)
How should we stagger the scheduling of these session to get the most out of our workouts, and recovery time.

Our target is weight loss, combined with strengh and endurace conditioning.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

I am not an expert. I know this is what you asked for but I do now some of the basics from many years of working with a trainer.

I was wondering if you two could/would start walking 20 minutes a day. Just that will help. Never work the same body parts two days in a row. Stomach you can do daily or back –to- back if you would like. That’s all I have. Definitely do the cardio and walking that is the most important thing right now, even before the weights.

Oh as for weight: start low. Typically, 3 sets of fifteen for any given exercise. The last couple you do in a set should be a bit difficult. If that is the case then you are probably using the right weight.

Seriously, do a little more research or even better hire a trainer for a session or two.

Missdirected,

Thanks for replying.. Again I wish I had not used the word "expert". All replies are welcome and appreciated.

Missdirected:
I am not an expert. I know this is what you asked for but I do now some of the basics from many years of working with a trainer.

I was wondering if you two could/would start walking 20 minutes a day. Just that will help. Never work the same body parts two days in a row. Stomach you can do daily or back –to- back if you would like. That’s all I have. Definitely do the cardio and walking that is the most important thing right now, even before the weights.

Oh as for weight: start low. Typically, 3 sets of fifteen for any given exercise. The last couple you do in a set should be a bit difficult. If that is the case then you are probably using the right weight.

Seriously, do a little more research or even better hire a trainer for a session or two.

We could start with the walking, but as the average day's temprature at this time of the year is 10 degress fahrenheit, with a windchill taking the temprature down to -4 10 degress fahrenheit it's a little cold for walking. Also. given the slightly weakend state of my lungs (they seem suspetable to colder air after quittng smoking), it might be best to wait a a few months unitl the tempreature comes up and my lung;s resistances build up a bit.

The last time I quit smokng, which lasted for six years, the first month or so after quiting, while your lungs are expelling all the craop, they suffer a bit with really cold air. Or at least mine seem to.

Once te nicer weather sets in, Judy and I plan on biking more, and of course diving more as well.

Holy Canolies that is cold. Run for your lives come here and visit :joke:

Ok than try doing the treadmill daily - that is where you are going to lose the weight (the pool as well). Not only will the treadmill help with weight loss, it will help u warm up (which you should do before any work out). In addition, you want to get that lung strenght back. Start at 15 min., then speed it up still staying at fifteen, then maybe after a couple weeks put the grade up on the treadmill. Then extend the time - get the picture. Anyway, if weight loss is what you are looking for, than make that treadmill your best friend. put it front of the TV, play some great music to get you going, whatever you have to do. Even with weight training, you will not see the muscle tone until you have lost that weight.

Hey, for inspiration on the forums page some people had a weight loss group or something going. Check on that. Than if you two don't do what you are supposed to you will have a friend chewing your $ss out :)

Storm:
Missdirected,
Thanks for replying.. Again I wish I had not used the word "expert". All replies are welcome and appreciated.

We could start with the walking, but as the average day's temprature at this time of the year is 10 degress fahrenheit, with a windchill taking the temprature down to -4 10 degress fahrenheit it's a little cold for walking. Also. given the slightly weakend state of my lungs (they seem suspetable to colder air after quittng smoking), it might be best to wait a a few months unitl the tempreature comes up and my lung;s resistances build up a bit.

The last time I quit smokng, which lasted for six years, the first month or so after quiting, while your lungs are expelling all the craop, they suffer a bit with really cold air. Or at least mine seem to.

Once te nicer weather sets in, Judy and I plan on biking more, and of course diving more as well.

I'm sure you know this, but start slow. Your body at 42 won't take the abuse it took at 32 and after just quitting smoking and with the extra weight you are putting alot of strain on it if you try to do too much too fast.

Yes, slow definitely :sprite10:

Your exercise plan looks good. Mixing up general strength trainging with some cardio and the pool time is great. Quit the fast food and look at planning your big meal of the day (if you are not already) to be a healthy balanced one. Proper diet along with exercise will help you reach your goals quicker.

Back
Top Bottom