Fed up with the extra of me, time for change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm,

With your current weight, stated lack of activity, and recently kicked smoking habit, you're a prime candidate for a physical just to rule out anything that should be watched when starting a new exercise program.

I have to say that 2 days per week of cardiovascular exercise is a bare minimum, and that you won't necessarily need 2 days off if you balance your efforts appropriately. Besides, pool practice for Scuba should *not* be a workout effort, so you're really talking about 3 days off in your suggested schedule. <g> In all truth, if you only do 2 cardio sessions per week, it will be hard to get momentum in your fitness- each workout will feel just as bad as the last. <g>

I have sample schedules posted at http://www.divefitness.com/html/workouts.html that incorporate exercises you can do with your weight set and cardio you can do on your elliptical.

You can certainly combine a great cardiovascular workout with your strength training, but you need to find a way to get at least 3 hours of elevated heartrate each week for the magic to happen.

Cameron

Make sure you stretch out real good and do some jumping jacks or on the eliptical for a few minutes very slowly and lightly to get warmed up. You also don't need a fancy equipment or a gym to work out. Remember your old PT days in the military. Good ol fashioned push ups, sit ups can do allot. Different styles of these can do it just as well as any gym.
i.e.
POW's
-do 10 regular push ups, then go on your knees and do 10 reach for the stars at a 4 count.
- do 9 wide push ups (arms more than shoulder width apart), followed by the same reach for the stars.
- do 8 diamond (or as close as you can get) push ups, followed by the same reach for the stars
so on and so forth down to one. Your arms and shoulders will be screeming by the end. Do as much as you can.
Also use phone books to make push ups more challenging.
There's sit ups, crunches, sit ups and crunches to each side, flutter kicks, scissor kicks, keep legs 6 inches off the deck.
For legs the bend over, bend your knees, grab your ankles and straighten out your legs, do as many as you can, your legs will burn.
Check out a mens health mag, they have tons of exercises in there that you can do at home without any equipment at all.
Keep it light on the eliptical, slow steady pace.
When you are done stretch out again.
Eat right too. Watch the movie Super size me and you won't touch fast food again.
Good luck!

CameronMartz:
Storm,

With your current weight, stated lack of activity, and recently kicked smoking habit, you're a prime candidate for a physical just to rule out anything that should be watched when starting a new exercise program.

I have to say that 2 days per week of cardiovascular exercise is a bare minimum, and that you won't necessarily need 2 days off if you balance your efforts appropriately. Besides, pool practice for Scuba should *not* be a workout effort, so you're really talking about 3 days off in your suggested schedule. <g> In all truth, if you only do 2 cardio sessions per week, it will be hard to get momentum in your fitness- each workout will feel just as bad as the last. <g>

I have sample schedules posted at http://www.divefitness.com/html/workouts.html that incorporate exercises you can do with your weight set and cardio you can do on your elliptical.

You can certainly combine a great cardiovascular workout with your strength training, but you need to find a way to get at least 3 hours of elevated heartrate each week for the magic to happen.

Cameron

Cameron,

I posted our intended schedule before I had a chance to buy, downloaded and read your book. I read it today. It was very informative, and very well written. (From one writer to another...kudos.) For anyone thinking of starting a training routine to enhance your diving abilities, I strongly suggest getting this book.

I will have to spend a bit more time looking over the Beginner training plan, to see where we can place our pool session(s), but otherwise that schedule will be the one we follow.

I already have a few questions about the schedule, and some of the exercises. Mostly these questions revolve around if free weight exercises could be substituted for some of the cable exercises, as we do not have a cable gym, just an adjustable weight bench (incline, level, and slight decline). Once I've hade the chance to go over the exercises that are of concern I'll PM you for you advice (if you don’t mind)

In addition, I would like to get some clarification as to how 'best I could fit the elliptical cross trainer into the cardio and endurance program. I can program the resistances on the cross trainer, to simulate up hill and down hill (Zone 2 and 3) resistances, as well as stagger flat sections throughout (Zone 1) for interval training.

As to getting a physical, that was already in the plans. (I go Feb 4) The last time I started a training regime, it was preceded by a thorough physical, and discussion about both the training aspects and dietary aspects of the regime. Until that time, I will be sticking to stretching, and light 10 to 15 min, low resistance slow speed cardio sessions three times a week. (Much the same speed as taking a walk).

When I quit smoking seven years ago (God I wish I had never restarted...but that was before I got into diving), I did this same thing and it helped with both the quitting smoking (physiological restlessness) and the lung clean out.

Right now I'm suffering through a cold, so until I fully shake it, which should be about the time I go to see the doctor, it'll be very light work with lots of rest, and healing. It never surprises me. The last time I quit smoking I caught a cold within the first two weeks of the program. The same thing happened this time around too.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice, and for putting together such a great resource as your book.

Cheers!

QUOTE=okamiotoko2004]Make sure you stretch out real good and do some jumping jacks or on the eliptical for a few minutes very slowly and lightly to get warmed up. You also don't need a fancy equipment or a gym to work out. Remember your old PT days in the military. Good ol fashioned push ups, sit ups can do allot. Different styles of these can do it just as well as any gym.
i.e.
POW's
-do 10 regular push ups, then go on your knees and do 10 reach for the stars at a 4 count.
- do 9 wide push ups (arms more than shoulder width apart), followed by the same reach for the stars.
- do 8 diamond (or as close as you can get) push ups, followed by the same reach for the stars
so on and so forth down to one. Your arms and shoulders will be screeming by the end. Do as much as you can.
Also use phone books to make push ups more challenging.
There's sit ups, crunches, sit ups and crunches to each side, flutter kicks, scissor kicks, keep legs 6 inches off the deck.
For legs the bend over, bend your knees, grab your ankles and straighten out your legs, do as many as you can, your legs will burn.
Check out a mens health mag, they have tons of exercises in there that you can do at home without any equipment at all.
Keep it light on the eliptical, slow steady pace.
When you are done stretch out again.
Eat right too. Watch the movie Super size me and you won't touch fast food again.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

okamiotoko2004

Thanks for the advice.

No jumping jacks for me. ALL routines MUST be low impact on the ankle. (No rope skipping either) It took the better part of a year of physiotherapy, steroid shots (the military used these way back then. They do not now) and walking with crutches and a cane before I could walk properly again. It took another year before I could run, and even then, it (as it is today) is often painful. It was a career killer accident. It has been twenty years since that injury and there are some days when I still feel it. Hence, the low impact style elliptical machine. I can do most ankle stretches and extensions, but the constant jarring of high impact hurts too much.

Lunges, calf raises, and toe lifts are okay as they do not incur the jarring impact associated with running and jumping. Maybe with an increase in fitness and some more strength training in the area, it might come back up, but even when I was working out everyday, it never really healed 100%.

Thanks again for your advice.

Storm: First off, good for you. Changing your habits is hard.

Second, whatever program you design, make sure you enjoy it. The best excercise program is the one you do! An absolutely 'amazing' program is no good if you end up skipping it.

I've written no books, am no expert, but I've worked out for the last 17 or 18 years. I do alot of cross training but will share my workout routine, perhaps some of it will work for you:

3 - 4 workouts / week. 1 Chest day, 1 back & shoulders day, 1 arms day, 1 day legs (i often substitue skiing, or in the summer rollerblading for this day).

Each workout starts with stretching. I'd also recommend a very very light 5 - 10 min of cardio to warm up your muscles and prevent injury. Then I lift (I'd suggest finding things that you can do with your home gym to work all muscle groups). After lifting I either spend 30 - 60 min on the eliptical or the bike. Afterwards I stretch (again) and do abs.

That's what works for me.

However, I would recommend that in addition to actually designing a program, you work out how to track your progress. Set goals (long term and short term) and then work out what you will need to do to achieve your goals by month, then by day. Include diet. Include taking the stairs instead of the elevator when possible. Include a plan for how to change your diet. Start bit by bit and you'll see the progress.

And remember: Losing weight is easy. All you have to do is burn more calories than you take in :wink:

Best of luck!

Bjorn

The one great thing about buying Cameron's book is that the online version has a complete schedule, routine planner, progress tracking charts, and all of this will help in establish goals.

We're still working out what our short and long term goals (measureable) are. Personally, I'm shooting for some significant weight loss, and a resonable increase in overall fitness. Short term (2 to 4 months) would be to get my weight down by 20 lbs or rather to "replace" that 20 lbs of fat with muscle.

Long term would be an overall fitness state where I am carrying a bare minimum of excess body fat, (ideal body weight would be around 185 to 190) increase my endurance levels, improve my flexibility and strength, and decrease my air consumption.

I'm interested in bulking up, at least it's not a targeted goal. I relaize that some bulking may occur as a result of improved definition, but I'm not shooting for size. It's not in my physical make up. I'd rather get tight and trim, than big and bulky.

Storm:
Cameron,

I posted our intended schedule before I had a chance to buy, downloaded and read your book. I read it today. It was very informative, and very well written. (From one writer to another...kudos.) For anyone thinking of starting a training routine to enhance your diving abilities, I strongly suggest getting this book.

Thanks! I am glad you're finding the information helpful.

I already have a few questions about the schedule, and some of the exercises. Mostly these questions revolve around if free weight exercises could be substituted for some of the cable exercises, as we do not have a cable gym, just an adjustable weight bench (incline, level, and slight decline).

There are actually two easy ways to substitute. One way is to get a set of exercise bands, like those found at http://secure.gofit.net/view_product.php?product=238, and perform the exercises as directed.

Since all of the exercise demonstrations are grouped by major body part (biceps, legs, back, etc.), you can also just pick another exercise that works the same body part but doesn't require cables.

In addition, I would like to get some clarification as to how 'best I could fit the elliptical cross trainer into the cardio and endurance program. I can program the resistances on the cross trainer, to simulate up hill and down hill (Zone 2 and 3) resistances, as well as stagger flat sections throughout (Zone 1) for interval training.

That's exactly the idea. Always vary your intensity regardless of training zone, but you can vary the average intensity and duration of the workouts to match the format of the programs in the book.

As to getting a physical, that was already in the plans. (I go Feb 4) The last time I started a training regime, it was preceded by a thorough physical, and discussion about both the training aspects and dietary aspects of the regime. Until that time, I will be sticking to stretching, and light 10 to 15 min, low resistance slow speed cardio sessions three times a week. (Much the same speed as taking a walk).

Great! I'm sure everything will check out, but this is the perfect time to get a baseline for comparison once you've gained momentum in your new program.

Cameron

In my opinion, things that can be done with a cable can usually be done better with a set of dumbbells... there are exceptions of course. Building muscle is a good way to lose fat because your strength increase will place greater metabolic demands on your body.

Eating right comes into play. Try to eat alot of organic food, 4-6 meals a day. Don't skimp on the good stuff. Don't buy into no carb diets. Eat carbs for breakfast and lunch and eat your meat and vegetables at dinner. Fuel your body - if you are hungry get a scoop of natural peanut butter for a snack. Eat carbs before working out and protein after. Don't work out on an empty stomach or you will be wasting your time. If you are just trying to drop the poundage than it will become a calorie in vs calorie out game. Building muscle and losing fat is a good goal, just don't be too concerned with the actual weight part of it.

Don't eat white bread- they have no fiber. If you can't tolerate the gluten in wheat then try ezekial bread.

Do interval cardio 3-4 times a week in short bursts followed by some low intensity pacing (I like to do it after lifting for about 30 minutes). If you want to burn fat you just need to keep the heart rate up (btw, by lifting your muscles will be burning calories a long time after the workout). Sometimes you can do well running even if it doesn't feel challenging.

Pick a muscle or a set of muscles in a single day (like chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs). Work calves and abs every other day. Don't do full body workouts multiple times in a week because your muscles need the rest and you will probably be skipping something. Do 4 or more sets of 4-12 reps on 4 exercises for the muscle you are doing- this will keep you in good form and prevent using too much weight. If you can do more than 12 reps its time to move up. Do the big muscle first and the small group second. Always move up in weight - don't stay the same. Change your exercises around. You don't have to kill yourself if you are having a bad day. Drink water all the time.. 1-2 gallons a day.

Take a rest day if you need it during the week. Take two if you need it. I usually take a few days before diving but do a cardio workout 20 hrs before the dive.

WARM UP YOUR ROTATOR CUFF. Do external rotations with a light dumbbell 40 - 50 times. Start slow and add weight like a pyramid. Avoid bench pressing a bar - use the dumbbells. Avoid upright rows.

Check this website out for some ideas on your exercises: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/BBLyingTriExtSC.html (click exercises at bottom to see more for different muscles).

Good luck,

-V

Vayu:
In my opinion, things that can be done with a cable can usually be done better with a set of dumbbells... there are exceptions of course.

Better? Not necesarily... Different! Can't compare both. Keep in mind the fact that the point of highest resistance in a lever (what the joints are when moving resistance) is when the the resistance arm of the lever system and the line of gravity reach a 90 degree angle. Cables change this situation entirely. They allow one to reach said angle at a different points of the movement providing with a different kind of stimulus. I would not go exclusively on them though. Free weights are far more functional, but it never hurts to throw some cables to change things around.

Don't buy into no carb diets. Eat carbs for breakfast and lunch and eat your meat and vegetables at dinner.

Good point, but let's be more specific. The carbs that should be avoived at all times are the refined carbs, and all products derived from them. They're high in the Glycemic Index Scale and provide no nutritional value. As long as one stays with complex carbs, it should not be a problem.

Fuel your body - if you are hungry get a scoop of natural peanut butter for a snack. Eat carbs before working out and protein after.

Volume 27, Number 5, October 2005 issue of the "Strength and Conditioning Journal" (A multidimentional approach to enhancing recovery by Ian Jeffrey) recommends a combination of low glycemic carbs with moderate proteins, along with 500 ml. of water at least 2 hours prior to a workout. Right after a workout, a meal of high glycemic carbs along with proteins (in 4:1 ratio, up to 1.5g of protein per Kg. of bodyweight) is recommended. This corrobarates studies that had been conducted in the previous years.

Don't work out on an empty stomach or you will be wasting your time

Not necessarily, read the following "Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 17, No. 2, 1985" Look for the Study conducted by Wilcox, Harford, and Wedel at Kansas State University. By measuring respiratory gas exchange, caloric expenditure, and carbohydrate and fatty acid metabolism, they found out that the 67% of the energy expended by the participants after a 12 hour fast (early morning) Came from fat burning. Participants in the fed state only showed a 50% usage. Keep in mind that the population tested was young and had no medical problems, so this does not apply to everyone, but a great number of athletes engage in vigorous physical activities early in the morning prior to breakfast without any adverse effects.

If you want to burn fat you just need to keep the heart rate up (btw, by lifting your muscles will be burning calories a long time after the workout).

The amount of fat calories burned during exercise is neglegible in all aspects, and keeping the heart rate up engages the glycolitic system more than the oxidative. It's here that a lot of people get confused and think of blood lipids used during the oxidative phase is the same as storage lipocytes. The higher intensity, interval training will burn FAR more calories and FAR less time, and keep the metabolism up, so that was excellent advice. For those who are curious as to when the body uses the most fats for energy, well, it may come as a surprise to know that it happens during sleep! Up to 90% of calories used during sleep come from stored deposits, and here's where those with the highest muscle mass shine brightest. The larger muscle mass demads more calories and uses the most calories, and as long as the stimulus to keep the muscle is present, calories will be burned.

Pick a muscle or a set of muscles in a single day (like chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders, legs). Work calves and abs every other day. Don't do full body workouts multiple times in a week because your muscles need the rest and you will probably be skipping something. Do 4 or more sets of 4-12 reps on 4 exercises for the muscle you are doing- this will keep you in good form and prevent using too much weight. If you can do more than 12 reps its time to move up. Do the big muscle first and the small group second.

These are general guidelines for bodybuilding, not very practical for those who seek to become fitter and get healthier, and of very little practical use for anybody who seeks to improve sports performance. Competitive athletes engage in exercises that involve the entire body during their conditioning training, and that is in ADDITION to their skill training. Full body workouts several times per week are fine as long as they're properly periodized. Check out your Javeline throwers and their awesome arms. You will never find them at the gym doing a preacher curl, but instead, lots of push jerks.

Always move up in weight - don't stay the same.
This sound like something that Arthur Jones, or the Mentzers, or Matt Brczky would promote in their HIT principles. The body will always reach a plateu and forcing it beyond without periodization, invites injury. That's why not even the great Hossain Rezazzedah has been able to reach the 600 lb. clean and jerk.

Change your exercises around. You don't have to kill yourself if you are having a bad day.

Excellent point!

Drink water all the time.. 1-2 gallons a day.

Another excellent point, but while hydration is important, the procedures should be personalized. Yes, there's such thing as too much water and the condition is known as Hyponatremia, and yes, it can be deadly (the electrolite imbalance could trigger cardiac arrest) More than 1 gallon per day will be fine for a big guy, but spell trouble for smaller people. Urine Color is a far better indicator, with clear streams being optimal

Avoid bench pressing a bar - use the dumbbells. Avoid upright rows.

This only applies if the participant has history of shoulder problems and poor flexibility. In fact, Dumbbells with their greater range of motion could be more contraindicative for people with poor capsule flexibility, who are actually safer using a bar. People with history of damaged labrums even press from the floor. Ditto with the upright row. The exericise itself is not bad, but doing it poor form, poor conditioning, and excessive weight will lead to injuries.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Several excellent points, but certain issues needed to be addressed. Thanks again.

Respectufully yours,

Thanks for the detailed reply. It'll help everyone in this thread address the issues a little more critically.

I use cables for things like front pulldowns, straight-arm pulldowns, and a few other back and tricep exercises. I also use them to switch up my dumbbell sets every now and then. They are useful but I prefer the free weight approach.

My advice on nutrition was pretty basic. If I am going to workout on an empty stomach it would be light to moderate cardio in the early morning. I'm not too concerned about calorie expenditure - I would be concerned about lifting with nothing to go on. That's just me.

Body builders are usually fit and healthy :). I like to hit the muscle groups and do cardio. Generally if I am doing a full body workout I feel like I am spending alot of time and not working the muscles to their potential (just too much to do).

I have a mild rotator cuff injury which is why I suggested for him to focus on warming up those small muscles with a light amount of weight. That bench press bar really gets me. I can do the dumbbell presses without a problem. On the same note, I heard the upright rows promote cuff degeneration over time. I don't do dips.

Pullups, though, are great for almost everyone.

My move up in weight comment wasn't really in reference to 600 lbs. With the amount of sets and reps I suggested it would be difficult to overweight. I am talking about moving from a 20lb to a 25lb dumbbell. By the time you get to problematic high weights chances are you will be changing to a different exercise anyway. You want to avoid the plateau... but you don't want to push it.

Thanks coach izzy for your comments!

-V

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom