Feed back wanted on scuba dive book.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scandi Divers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys,

I have been writing about my last ten years working and traveling in the dive industry. I have got 90,000 words on paper which have not been edited. I would appreciate your honest feedback on these opening paragraphs.

You never forget seeing your first Whale shark it happened off Ningaloo reef in Western Australia. It was a rough day at sea with huge swells, a group of us jumped off the boat into the deep waters of the Indian Ocean we were hectically swimming after the worlds’ biggest fish a true giant of the sea. The huge twenty-five-foot dark shadow came closer to us its spots now in full view as it gulped down the tiny plankton in the water column. Its massive gills quivered as the filtered water gushed back into the ocean. With a couple of swipes of its tail it was gone I looked at the girl next to me and smiled thinking we had just shared a perfect moment together. She took out her snorkel and vomited, the water turned a pale-yellow color with the heavier vegetables sinking towards the bottom. Thrashing my arms wildly I tried and get away from the freshly delivered fish food.

Swimming back towards the boat I put my head back underwater hoping for a final glance of a whale shark. Instead there was a six-foot-long sea snake coming right towards me. It was the first time in my life seeing one of the most venomous snakes that could kill in seconds. I totally **** my board shorts and rocketed out of the water like a missile fired from a nuclear submarine. I landed on the back deck with a slap that an elephant seal would be proud of. It was during my year in Australia that I fell in love with the underwater world. It would take me on a journey that I never imagined in my wildest dreams.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I'm looking for an editor if you have any recommendations.

Warm regards
Kris

Not impressive - does not grab me or hold my attention.

Suggest that you read about whale shark encounters in Dr Hass's book either Men and Sharks or Dive to Adventure both written in 1940s and are classics

Write articles for dive publications for $$$ or pro bono - see what hold the readers attention and sells

Take a college level writing class or two or three - especially effective writing-- Or join a writers group

Do not be discouraged -- continue to write and search for a publisher

You might be the next Clive Cussler or Underwater Earnest Hemmingway

Sam Miller, 111

Last edited:
Awful lot of cliches packed in 2 paragraphs. And the vomit bit would chase me away, not bring me in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom