Feedback on where to place weight for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is likely a compromise when having to carry significant weight.

When you first posted, I wondered about cutting holes and filling that hollow blow molded pack with lead shot...

I’d rather look towards getting a BP/W setup than cutting holes in the Commando backplate as I’m not sure it would stand up to the extra weight.

Think I’ll grab that Seal Harness and then try a combination of tank strap pouches, weight harness and weight in pockets and see how I can spread it around.

You've indicted that you might try some pockets on your camband, which is a good idea. Given your BC only has slots for on camband, you can always add another to just the tank. (that is, wrap it around the tank only, with two weight pockets near the pack. This will give you to high and two low weight pockets on your tank. You can adjust the weigh up or down to sort out your trim.

I’ve picked up a couple of cheap weight pockets to try out. Will let me put a couple of 3lb weights on either side of the tank.

Then I’ll try a couple of weights in the BCD pockets and the rest on the weight belt (6kg down from 10kg).

Will update how it works out.

Ultimately I’m looking at a weight harness and BP/W I think.

The harness seems like a smarter move. Same weight but better distributed and the lower back pain is managed a bit across the back and shoulders a bit more.

Ultimately I'll build a BP/W I think as the SS plate makes a big difference too.
Hi neevo,

Switching to a 3mm steel plate when diving dry allowed me to drop 7lbs of lead. I now dive the rest on a pocket weight belt. Depending on the BPW you could use as suggested use cam bands pockets. If your future BPW takes a weighted STA which is more steel (Halcyon does haven’t looked at others), you could shave another 6lbs off as well, this should leave you with minimal weight on a belt. Keep your eye out for second hand BPW’s they come up every few weeks at decent prices.

Not sure when I’ll switch back to the wetsuit, I’m soft now for local waters and I though I used to enjoy winter diving haha. First few dives in a drysuit required extra weight until I was comfortable with it, so your lead requirement hopefully will drop!

My cheapie eBay weight pockets came in today. I’m very impressed with the quality for only $11 the pair!

Took the cam band out of the BCD and threaded them on. Time will tell if they stand up to abuse, but so far they look great and tuck in to the BCD perfectly:

9D769AC5-FD76-484F-9697-4FF638531020.jpeg

1F202250-CFB9-42C8-A9E3-71AE3DE7EB1B.jpeg

What kind of tank were you using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom