Female BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djdalite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for a female friendly bc. Anyone tried and have opinions on any of the following...
zeagle grace
aqualung lotus
seac femme

***She does not like the zeagle zena

Last edited:
Zeagle zena is excellent, also so many nice backplate and wings out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that all of the BCD's from your list aren't great female BCD's. I have found that here in my shop 9 out of 10 ladies BCD's sold are the Zeagle Zena. By far the most form fitting BCD I have ever sold in my store. Fits almost every shape, multiple color choices and the ability to exchange panels with other sizes for an even better fit is second to none. Supports the body and the weight of the gear comfortably without added stress on the back and shoulders. I would say the greatest feature is the lifetime warranty. The Zena is a back inflated BCD. If you are interested in jacket style, the Seac Femme is a fantastic choice. Great fit and good quality material.

I have to agree with JohnN and Decompression. You can spend less money and still have a superior product. I bet the BC's listed feel great in the store with all the padding and what not, but who dives in a store? What matters is the way the BC feels in the water and how well it stabilizes the tank on your back. I sure you have already found that the folks on this forum are very pro BP/W, it is just a simpler and much better system. Manufacturers love conventional BC's because they can add all sorts of gimmicks and bells and whistles so they can differentiate there product from the competition. Most of this fluff comes from the marketing departments and not actual divers with experience. Just look at some of the so called "features" these BC's have, special grommets to mount an overly expensive dive knife, special octo pocket, up/down lever, elastic panels, wrapture systems, and so on. None of this stuff matters in the water but it sells the product in the show room. Now look at a simple BP/W, not much to differentiate one from the other, some manufacturers have tried but nothing beats a simple system that you can customise yourself. If you want a standard BC I would suggest purchasing used from the SB classified section and save some money, there are tons for sale, many from people who switched to a BP/W.

My daughter (21 years old, diving for about a year) dives a Zeagle Zena and says she loves it. She tried both the vest type and back-inflate BCDs, while she was doing her training, and she much prefers the back inflate style. Zena was a better fit for her than others she tried, and she uses it for travel as well as cold water diving here in NE.

The most important thing for you to decide is what you want from your diving activities and the type of diving you want. There is not any one answer for type of BCD that is right for everyone and to tell anyone that is a dis-service to them. The first question that needs to be asked when someone asks for help in selecting gear is what type of diving do you do, then what do you see yourself doing in the future (3 or 5 years etc..) Any responsible recommendations need to start with questions to you and then consideration of the responses you provided, Next go try the BCDs and see which one is comfortable and functions like YOU want.
Both of the brands you listed are top notch quality brands which should serve you well.
Now tell us about you and what you want from your diving.

Are you more geared towards a jacket style or back inflate? I will say that both the Zena and the Lotus seem to be designed a little better for a woman's body style.

Zeagle zena is excellent, also so many nice backplate and wings out there.

My wife LOVED her Zeagle Zena and was really reluctant to make the switch to a backplate-and-wing (BP/W) rig, but now she is glad she did, and neither of us can see ourselves every using anything else but a BP/W. The BP/W involves a short learning curve, but it is so simple and easy once you figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom