Female Cave Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen may know of more. Maybe shoot him a PM and see if he can help you. I think there is a woman named Jan I can't think of her last name but she does live in Florida.

Natasha:
Curt Bowen may know of more. Maybe shoot him a PM and see if he can help you. I think there is a woman named Jan I can't think of her last name but she does live in Florida.

Jan is a GUE DIR-F instructor, and although she is a cave diver, I don't beleive she teaches it.

Chickdiver - any chance you're looking to be the first female GUE Cave instructor?

Ever since I took Tech1 I've been wanting to take Cave1. I'm definitely NOT a she-woman man-hater feminist (would be too counter productive in my line of work :11:), but being able to take it from a female instructor would definitely motivate me to do it sooner rather than later :D:D

Tamara Kendall was a GUE Cave 1 and 2 instructor before she retired.

GUE has good programs, but it isn't a practical choice for me due to some of their constraints.

Snowbear:
Chickdiver - any chance you're looking to be the first female GUE Cave instructor?

Ever since I took Tech1 I've been wanting to take Cave1. I'm definitely NOT a she-woman man-hater feminist (would be too counter productive in my line of work :11:), but being able to take it from a female instructor would definitely motivate me to do it sooner rather than later :D:D

Snowbear:
I'm not sure if you would be interested or not, but I'm meeting with Netdoc tomorrow and we will be discussing Wreckmania and Cavernmania for 2005 group trips in Florida. They will include certifications for both. Shh don't tell anyone. :winky:

ae3753:
chickdiver, of course :wink:

trying to schedule with her as we speak. . .

I'm trying to schedule with her as well. Heard very good things about her both here and on TDS.

I took my DIRF with Mike Kane and Tamara when she moved out here to the west coast. Don't think she does Cave out here though primarily because.... well we don't have any.

chickdiver:
I'm trying to get a sense of how many female cave instructors are out there. Currently there are 9 active between the NACD and the NSS-CDS, GUE has no active female cave instructors.

The CDG has a female as one of its four regional training officers:

Jo Wisely

Technically we don't have official instructors and run a mentoring scheme with all qualified divers encouraged to educate aspirant cave divers. Each regional section of the CDG nominates (up to) 5 experienced cave divers locally to act as examiners to administer the theory and practical parts of the CDG's Qualified Diver Assessment, final qualification is based up this and a submission of a logbook demonstrating adequate experience of a variety of cave dives (and dry caving). Training officer is also an elected position and it is usual to also be an examiner to hold this post. There are other female Qualified CDG divers.

Not really a direct answer but to put it another way - should you wish to qualify with the CDG you could be taught by a female.

We also offer an accelerated learing course suitable for military personnel trapped in caves by flooding. :eyebrow:

Duncan

chickdiver:
Cool, so now we are up to 15 worldwide :)

And thanks ae3753 :wink:

I have been an openwater divcer for 40 years. Cert adv. nitrox.
Karin Buchel was my intro to cave instructor. She was very professional, intelligent, thourough,and a consumate drill master.

It is such a pleasure to be trained by someone who is at once gracoius and professional.

I would recommend Ms, Karen Buchel, as a trainer, without reservation.

Dr. E. Don Nelson
Cincinnati Ohio

nelsoned:
I have been an openwater divcer for 40 years. Cert adv. nitrox.
Karin Buchel was my intro to cave instructor. She was very professional, intelligent, thourough,and a consumate drill master.

It is such a pleasure to be trained by someone who is at once gracoius and professional.

I would recommend Ms, Karen Buchel, as a trainer, without reservation.

Dr. E. Don Nelson
Cincinnati Ohio

My buddy and I had Karen as a guide for a week in Tulum and her competence, work ethic and attitude were outstanding. I can imagine she was a good instructor as well.
The last 4 or 5 pics at the link have her in it.
http://www.bayareadivers.net/wb416/reports/RiveriaMaya2004Cave5.shtml

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom