Female only classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neil
"Plus I get the men's locker room all to myself. "

You dive where there's locker rooms? where? where! The boats I did my diving from were small (no heads, no enclosed spaces). And at the diving spots up here looks like I'll find out what the back seat of my car's like. :D Oh well at least it's a space where I can leave my clothes and lock, Marty had this little game when I was under called "let's hide Jess's shorts".

Kaffphine,
Well, actually I meant pool training sites. I've yet to be on a boat big enough for locker rooms! Come on out to SoCal, we got 80 foot boats with heads, bunks, galleys and everything! Some even have two, count 'em, TWO, compressors! And salt water. What town in PA are you in? We used to do a LOT of diving in Dutch Springs near Bethlehem back when I was a New Yawker.

Neil

OK here goes. While I was in OW training I was hurt, I had 2 bulging discs, so I was unable to do my OW dives for about 6 weeks. When I was able to go on the boat I was still unable to to lift any gear. My wife carried all my gear onto the boat and my buddy, a girl who was in my class, set my tank upright while I ass. my gear. I was not allowed to put my gear on except in the water and had to take it off there as well. When we got back to the dock my wife and instructor carried my gear to the car.

This is an example of team work as it should be and not a sexist issue. I also beleive that ther should be trips for just the Guys and just the Girls if there is interest but also more trips as co-ed.

I have not seen or heard any hitting on on any of the boats or shore dives I have been on. That does not mean a thought of they look good has not pased into anyones head but it flows both ways.

OK, here is my experience: I started with CMAS classes, there were only two girls, me and someone getting ready for her second level; I quit after getting certified because girls were only good for pool sessions, they always seemed to forget telling me when there was a week-end out.

A friend of mine (male) told me he was attending a PADI club, where girls were admittedly rare, but at least no one had anything to say if I wanted to go diving every week-end.

I took my AOW class and I was alone with my male instructor.

When in Egypt in October 2000 I took Medic First Aid (two girls with male instructor) and Rescue (same instructor, but alone), in May 2001 I took Nitrox classes, always on my own, again a male instructor.

I am now finishing my Dive Master, I'm alone with male instructor.

Do I feel bad about it?

Definitely no, and out of 106 dives (first in mid-April 2000) I only dove four or five times with a woman, it's not a personal choice, just that there as so few of us who want to don a drysuit in 3°C water, and anyway in Belgium it is more or less a boys' thing.

Would I like to do an all-girls' thing?

No, thanks, I'm perfectly happy with boys who ask nothing more than to help me put my 15lts tank on my back...:jester:

You go Chiara!

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to carry any heavy stuff for anyone if asked and perceived they were struggling- I can always use some exercise.

If I saw a person who I thought may have a physical impairment of any kind, it would be an honor to help them with their gear. Hell, when bored I have often stood on the back of dive steps and helped able bodied everyone with their gear when they are coming up off a surging swim step platform after a long div...it is not a gender or macho issue, it is just team players mutually helping people within their mutual hobbies have a good time together.

If a known rabid feminist asked me to help her with her gear, I would tell her that I believed in equality and would decline.......unless of course her overfilled and heavy game bag full of plump bugs was weighing her precariously down....iin that case, I would gladly offer to lug it and stow it somewhere "safe".....Muhahahahahah! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom